Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed my fluids for the first time by myself. I changed the tranny filter, gasket, and oil. I changed the motor oil and oil filter as well and I also changed the transfer case fluid. Everything went relatively well until I found some leaks under my car today (2-3 drops). I did the work at a friends house yesterday and have not driven the car since other than to drive it home. When I was putting in the new motor oil yesterday, I accidentally dropped the container and spilled about 1/2 a quart into the surrounding area. Could it be possible that the few drops that I see on my garage floor could be from the spill yesterday? The fluid is yellowish, so it can't be from the transmission, right? The underside of the car is moist, but I do not see any drops of oil accumulating. I see oil around the tires, and frame however. . I am going to take some pictures to better describe my problem, but, does anyone think that the "leak" is from when I spilled the oil while adding the new fluid yesterday?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yesterday I changed my fluids for the first time by myself. I changed the tranny filter, gasket, and oil. I changed the motor oil and oil filter as well and I also changed the transfer case fluid. Everything went relatively well until I found some leaks under my car today (2-3 drops). I did the work at a friends house yesterday and have not driven the car since other than to drive it home. When I was putting in the new motor oil yesterday, I accidentally dropped the container and spilled about 1/2 a quart into the surrounding area. Could it be possible that the few drops that I see on my garage floor could be from the spill yesterday? The fluid is yellowish, so it can't be from the transmission, right? The underside of the car is moist, but I do not see any drops of oil accumulating. I see oil around the tires, and frame however. . I am going to take some pictures to better describe my problem, but, does anyone think that the "leak" is from when I spilled the oil while adding the new fluid yesterday?
that can be your problem...has happened to me plenty of times. not much to worry about...but if you dont mind me asking, why did you change the tranny fuild and filter i thought they were lifetime trannies. i dont know i would feel a bit scared with changing my fluid. i have a 199,xxx miles on my 98 320 and the tranny was never touched.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I would recommend you clean the underside of the truck with degreaser (like 'simple green') Then, you would be able to see if there are any leaks.

·
Super Moderator. Motivational Poster
11,095 Posts
that can be your problem...has happened to me plenty of times. not much to worry about...but if you dont mind me asking, why did you change the tranny fuild and filter i thought they were lifetime trannies. i dont know i would feel a bit scared with changing my fluid. i have a 199,xxx miles on my 98 320 and the tranny was never touched.
You're on a wing and a prayer if your tranny oil has never been changed. I'd get it done immediately, if I were you. There is no such thing as a 'lifetime' transmission. Even MB admits they should be serviced after 100,000 miles and every 60k thereafter. Have them save a quart of your fluid. It'll scare the hell out of you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am hoping that is the case. I just got under the car and cleaned pretty much everything with brake cleaner. I tried taking a few pics but the camera was acting up.. As for tranny fluid and filter, this is new for me because my lexus does not have a filter. After reading pretty much every post on tranny fluid and filter replacement on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that most people will change the fluid roughly 40-50k miles.. I spoke with a mechanic at Smythe European Mercedes and he told me that the dealer reccommends that you change fluid every 2 yrs = 25k miles, however, he says that 40k miles is more realistic.. When I told him that I had read online that the fluids are lifetime he simply laughed at me.. Nothing lasts a lifetime is what he said. The entire process for changing the fluids and filter is very easy.. 20 min at most.. (you will only be able to get 4 qts though)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
akm714
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing