Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long Story short, the screen on my navigation system in my 2000 ML320 had a run in with a flying phone. The screen is cracked, :( I was wondering where I could find a new LCD screen, if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost, and do you know if I have to replace the entire unit or just the screen

·
Registered
CLK500 - ML320
831 Posts
Pretty sure you'll need to replace the whole unit, I know they don't sell the screen alone.

Why not upgrade instead of going OEM again, possibly the new Alpine Double-Din, Kenwood, or Eclipse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vik said:
Pretty sure you'll need to replace the whole unit, I know they don't sell the screen alone.

Why not upgrade instead of going OEM again, possibly the new Alpine Double-Din, Kenwood, or Eclipse.
I'm just trying to keep it as cheap as possible :(

·
Registered
1994 C280 1996 C36 2002 ML500
513 Posts
I have taken an MCS apart and that perspective you could replace the screen. The dealer would surely not sell just the screen. If you are so inclined to disassemble the radio down to the circuit boards you could get an MCS on ebay and scavenge the screen. At least you could get one cheap that doesn't have the security code.

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
Screen replacement

From time to time I see dead ones sold on e-bay - or at least "as is" models. Often without the radio code. If you are good with small tools, I am fairly certain you can replace the screen yourself. If not, perhaps you know someone who can help?

Certainly Benz will just sell you a whole new one($$$:eek: ).
I'm on my third unit on account of warranty issues. If this one dies, well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I miss the AUX input.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Hmm Contact Alpine and see if they can repair it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is your 'lucky'? day?

Believe it or not, it took me over 2 years to find this info. My son threw my cell phone against the LCD screen on the MCS 2 years ago, and I wasn't going to pay $2000+ (the price MB quoted me) just to replace it. So I lived with the cracked screen for 2 years.

I'm happy to report that you don't have to suffer as I did, however, as this link will point you to the Alpine-USA service center:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/support/service_center/00,00,01.htm

Give them a call and they'll ask you to send the unit in. It cost me $320 to replace the LCD screen, labor included. This is far cheaper than the $2K MB was quoting me.

I did ask my Sevice Advisor at MB to pull the radio out for me to ship it off. He did this free of charge as it took less than 5 minutes. If you're going to do it yourself you'll need to find those special radio 'keys' that they insert under the radio to release the locking latch inside the console. If you have a good relationship with your SA they should just pull out the radio as a goodwill gesture.

Be sure to locate your security code for the radio as you WILL need that info once you get the radio back from Alpine and install it. If you don't have the security code, ask your SA to look it up for you as the serial number for the radio will be stamped top of the unit (visible once the unit is pulled out of the dash).

The turn around from Alpine was about 10 days (including weekend) so it wasn't bad at all.

Good luck with your MCS. I consoled myself that someday my son will make it to the Major league and then I can tell him all about the MCS screen he broke!!!

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Two LCD screens destroyed by flung telephones. Very strange. Sounds like a good argument for the integrated phone system! :)

DelJ

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Cellphones and our lives are the subject on their own.
I just did some searches on ebay.
When you search for "scuba" you'll get about 7000 hits.
About 1000 of them are cellphone cases.
makes me wonder....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone I called alpine and it will only cost $320 to replace the screen Atleast it isnt the 1800$ I originally thought Id end up paying :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can buy a lcd assembly unit by itself from user named “ artemba “ on eBay. They are about $90. I attached a pic of what it looks like.
The w163 radio unit comes in two pieces, the main radio unit and the front lcd part with all the button. Should be pretty easy job.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
7,347 Posts
You can buy a lcd assembly unit by itself from user named “ artemba “ on eBay. They are about $90. I attached a pic of what it looks like.
The w163 radio unit comes in two pieces, the main radio unit and the front lcd part with all the button. Should be pretty easy job. ...
Welcome to BW Ftartem,

Please complete your user CP profile
====>
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save.

Necropost.
14 year old post with the OPs last activity 14 years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts