Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'99 R170, ('04 W203 SOLD)
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a place to purchase a replacement LCD for the instument cluster ? I see there are several places in China that sells them but I cannot get a response from any how to purchase one.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced

I received my replacement LCD for the MFD from a company in BudaPest. It arrived in about a week as registered mail and it was packaged very well. Install was easy enough and straight forward and works well. Now I will be able to see info again even on hot days.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompresser Sport Coupe, 6-speed, leather, pano roof
110 Posts
Thats great, Wally! Do you have the information for the place in Budapest (email, address, pricing, part number, etc) to share with the rest of us? Thanks!

RBofRB

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well after the car sat in the sun for the better part of the day the outside displayed was 102 degrees and the display works perfectly.
The place that I got it from was diyspareparts dot net The price was 76 Euro shipped to the midwest of USA

·
Registered
110 Posts
wallyc
the part is ordered and on the way. Last update has it in New York City and coming registered mail from Budapest. Should arrive sometime this week.
Is your replacement working out well?
RBofRB

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has been working 100%, Had the car sitting in the sun and inside the car was very warm and the display was bright, just like new. Previously with the old one I could barely see anything on it with these conditions. I am very pleased with the out come.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That sounds great! I just checked the tracking number again, and its in Hazelwood, MO (suburb of St Louis), so it should arrive in a day or so. (We are 45 min from STL in Illinois)

I did a "test run" on removing the instrument cluster and it was incredibly easy! I had it out in less than 5 minutes.

Did you have any suggestions on installing the new lcd or did instructions come with it? Im sure I can figure it out, but I thought I would ask someone who has already "been there, done that".

RBofRB

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
This should help...you only need to go about 1/3 of the way to get the MFD out (through photo #12)

W203 Cluster Repair

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the link! Ill let y'all know how it works out when the lcd arrives!

RBofRB

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing to whatch for is the ribbon cable when you put the cluster back together. The ribbon cable is slightly different just do not pinch it when the cluster cover is reinstalled, it will be obvious.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Received the new LCD yesterday. Very well packaged! Installed in about half an hour...and that was taking my time and documenting with pics ( to come ). The display is extremely bright and works well. Did get a "perf service soon " (something like that) when I tried the oil level check. Probably an easy remedy but can't remember. Anyone remember that reset?

So it looks great and works...didn't break the bank...and the mailman can say he delivered a package from Budapest.

Thanks Wallyc. Pics to come

RBofRB

Sent from my SGH-I927 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
Yeah the new one's are damn bright. Another source is minitools.it.
We had a group buy recently (over now) and a bunch of us on mbhurled got these for like $75.
BUT before you decide to do another GB, know that the guy who sponsored it got stuck in the middle, as several displays were no good, including mine. It took months to resolve the whole thing with the vendor in Italy, and getting replacements sent to the US and getting them past customs.
I think you have to buy 5-10 to get the price break., but the break is substantial.

There's also an "OEM" one that costs more, but supposedly looks better, not all the pixels are lit up in the background like the Chinese version, which I think is what we all have. I discovered you can control the brightness of the mfd when the headlights are on by turning the dimmer, same knob as the reset button. Learn something new every day. Also seemed that you could dim it with the headlight switch set to auto, even when the headlights weren't actually on.

I"m trying to get the url for you guys. This one is closer to $130.
Much cleaner looking but more $$$.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the offer! The display looks great..just a poor pic.
Here is one of the entire dash that's better. The display looks great during the day too.

Sent from my SGH-I927 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is that symbol to the right of the clock, I have an '04 and have never seen that nor does it show in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2002 C240, 1972 R107 (350SL)
82 Posts
What is that symbol to the right of the clock, I have an '04 and have never seen that nor does it show in the owners manual.
That symbol that looks like 2 rectangular boxes means there is a malfunction with the vehicle. Could be anything from from a burnt out bulb to an engine error code, etc. This is something you don't want to see light up on your instrument panel. Consider yourself lucky.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts