Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im starting to put together some ideas for a system in my SEC gen 1 which does not have any door speakers, only dash.

i am going to be relying on a master car audio tech who i trust to design something simple and honest that will stay within a specific budget....this guy can make 4 speakers sound like 10 with tuning etc.

we were sorta thinking about going into the door panels of the car but with $$ being a factor we have put that on the back burner

i saw some 89 door cars with the speaker cut outs on ebay for like 300 each. What size speakers were in those spots stock , and does the actual metal frame of the car door have cut outs versus the gen 1 car? Or are they identical.

from the pics of saw it doesnt look like it should be too involved to make cut outs similar to stock, from what i already have

·
Registered
396 Posts
No metal to worry about--it's ABS plastic that is cut out, with specific black or white plastic speaker holders that would have come with the car originally, and a thin metal (I think aluminum) speaker grille on top, color-matched with I think three small screws. He may be able to fashion speaker holders--maybe ask him before trying to buy separately, as they are difficult to locate.

If you type in a Google search for custom w126 SEC door speakers, you'll find some that look well-done on either Gen 1 or early Gen 2 door cards. I've toyed with the idea of putting round speakers of the same size on the front lower section of the door card--those more knowledgable than I on the topic on the forum have lamented the factory rear placement on the late Gen 2 door anyway. I'm sort of torn myself for both reasons, both seem perfectly doable.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks...probably better off skipping these on ebay ...im sure the original speaker holders would have to be modded anyways so might as well go custom......or just leave it as is

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe the original door speaker holders have a 4" round speaker. Depending on what brand you choose, you may or may not have to modify the mounting points. I think the toughest to swap are the 6.5" parcel shelf ones.

Also, if you use the existing doors, you may want the audio guy to see if he or an interior person can hide the new setup behind the forward map pocket--perhaps by fashioning a plastic or aluminum trap door that fits to the contours but allows for maintenance/access.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
One of my early projects was this w124 300e coupe. Made some custom enclosures for the doors and loaded the complete car with Focal speakers. To say the least it rock'd. SPL in the rear was so powerful that the system actually cracked the rear window when a friend wanted to see how loud it would go. Needless to say he wasn't my friend after that. Mike

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
The later cars with the "Premium Sound" 10-speaker setup had mid-bass speakers in the doors.

They were 6.5" (16 cm) drivers in a vented hard plastic enclosure bolted to the door frame. The plastic enclosure was probably mostly to protect the speaker from moisture.

The location of the speaker is less than ideal, especially on the SEC, as it either fires straight at the seat base or the ankles of the rear seat passengers.

I've toyed with the idea of modifying my doors, which have those speakers, and install the earlier door pockets and put a mid-bass speaker at the front corner of the door for better sound.
DSC_1547.JPG
DSC_1594.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Looking at Axel's photos I remember my CE had dynamat throughout the car. Even the trunk. Besides enhancing the hi-fi system I must say it was absolutely when the sound system was off it was the quietest car I have ever driven. Many new and cheaper materials are available today. If your car is a "keeper" its worth the extra effort. Some of the best time and money I ever spent.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,248 Posts
cool thanks...probably better off skipping these on ebay ...im sure the original speaker holders would have to be modded anyways so might as well go custom......or just leave it as is
If you are still in O/C L.A. area, getting a pair of Gen II door cards even with existing speakers should be the simplest / cheapest solution.
I removed a number of those speakers with plastic enclosure, and always thought they had an acoustic function like a speaker box.

I am sure Axel's solution to move the speakers forward is more audiophile (like his tweeters).

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive been keeping my eye on junkyards for these door panels but still very rare over all

ebay has those ones i found but 300 a piece. and thats without the white box

1 - 9 of 9 Posts