Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

When getting ready to purchase a replacement, several sites have before chassis 491584 and a different part for chassis 491585 and after, starting in '89. Here's my conundrum: my car is '87 but the donor engine/transmission (and donor EZL and ECU) that is going in is from a '90, well after the updated part. Currently I'm using the '87 instrument cluster. Is the updated part particular to the cluster, or the electrical modules? When I put the donor '90 cluster in (which has wonderful bright orange needles and orange-yellow script) in the future after final interior refurb, will I need the updated part then?

Thanks,
Drew

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
Hi Drew,

I've swapped various instrument clusters in my 1990 SEC and have never noted any issues with the different rheostats. They all seem to adjust the interior and instrument lighting (or not...) and not affect anything else.

YMMV

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Axel, to be safe would it make sense to put a pre-'90 version in my '87 cluster until I install the nicer looking '90 cluster, then put the updated version on it?

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
Drew,

I'd just save myself the work and use whichever rheostat works on the instrument cluster you're going to use. I've used both kinds of rheostats in my car with no ill effects that I could discern.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
AxelWulff
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing