Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace stock exhaust tomorrow with Flow Master 70 series and removing resonators on 560 SEC. Do I need to change cat to a free-flow cat as well or will I gain performance increase with stock cat and removing resonators, while adding Flow Master????
Thanks

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most definitely will. Thanks! Looking for some LOVE from other members on should I remove cat or not for increased HP?

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Sure, remove the cat if you don't have emissions testing there but you need to remove the pre-cat as well as the cat to make a difference. The U.S. 560 exhaust system is sooo restrictive. You should see if Jonathan still has the euro manifolds for sale. The euro manifolds, no cats, and a flowmaster would not only put out a nice sound, but should give you a slight kick in the pants.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So should I eliminate the resonators and cat, run straight pipes to flowmaster muffler? Won't the car run too rich without cat?????

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Still have those manifolds if anyone is interested! Have the down pipes as well:)

If you can do away w/ the cat, great. I did just that on my 560SEL. It did help. The Worst part of the exhaust is the crossover pipe IMHO.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flow Master 70 series installed this morning. Sounds GREAT!! Removed resonators and replace with SS section. Also added to SS (stainless steel) tips. Slight HP gain as well. $400 out the door for everything. Just think, I was going to purchase a Remus for $750 before installation. Will post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC
195 Posts
Nice! I was thinking about getting some flow masters for my euro 560 sec. Did you do the work yourself? Was it hard? How many inches was the flowmaster?

·
Registered
149 Posts
jhodg5ck - 5/14/2005 10:16 AM

Still have those manifolds if anyone is interested! Have the down pipes as well:)

If you can do away w/ the cat, great. I did just that on my 560SEL. It did help. The Worst part of the exhaust is the crossover pipe IMHO.

Jonathan
The euro manifolds are better?

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, I don't mess with exhaust work. I took it to a Custom exhaust shop that specialize in muscle cars. He fell in love with my SEC. It was the first he ever worked on in 30 years. Not sure of the exact dimensions. Best to go with 70 Series 2 1/2 dual in & out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts