Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heh, heh......any budding Architects/Surveyors/Estate Agents still leading active continued professional development perusal or all devoted full time to OT? heh, heh.....reason I ask is that I am looking for a decent laser distance measuring device and was wondering if any folks at OT had any experience in using such a device in their daily tasks. Ideally, it should be able to do the straight forward length measuring both internal and external plus calculation of areas/volumes. heh, heh.......

·
66,894 Posts
Poojabi,
Such devices can be used by terrorists for many nefarious reasons. I think I must report you because you are in essence a very suspicious fellow, heh, heh.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hilti makes the best that is the absolute best lazer distant measureing tool... I use one constantly and found that it is more acurate than they rate them for, However like all Lazer measuring tools after 150 foot the precision seems to fall off a little depending on weather and a few other minor things like how clean you keep the lens and so forth.

they can measure with very good results up to 650 feet..

I use a PD 42 most of the time and I have a PD - 38 however I have not yet purchased a compatible PDA to use with the PD-38 (someday I hope)

The website is < hilti.com >
theses little babys cost more than any other brand on the market however when you are doing work like I do I really can't afford to be "off an half inch"
Because over a 100 foot or more that really screws you.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh, heh.....thanks for the tips chaps! heh, heh......York Survey has loads of options. Hilti PD38 looks like the right device, both durable and practical but appears to be less common than the Leica Dista in the UK!?!
Hey MBLR, does this PD38 transfer or interact direct with Autocad/Architectural Desktop? I have short listed the Hilti PD38 and the Leica Disto A5/A6 but I really could live without the Bluetooth transfer facility as the cost difference is quite significant! heh, heh......

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
heh, heh.....thanks for the tips chaps! heh, heh......York Survey has loads of options. Hilti PD38 looks like the right device, both durable and practical but appears to be less common than the Leica Dista in the UK!?!
Hey MBLR, does this PD38 transfer or interact direct with Autocad/Architectural Desktop? I have short listed the Hilti PD38 and the Leica Disto A5/A6 but I really could live without the Bluetooth transfer facility as the cost difference is quite significant! heh, heh......
Transfer direct however it does not interact direct you need the PDA for that and uses the Bluetooth option very well for the PDA (no freaking cables to forget).

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
heh, heh......any budding Architects/Surveyors/Estate Agents still leading active continued professional development perusal or all devoted full time to OT? heh, heh.....reason I ask is that I am looking for a decent laser distance measuring device and was wondering if any folks at OT had any experience in using such a device in their daily tasks. Ideally, it should be able to do the straight forward length measuring both internal and external plus calculation of areas/volumes. heh, heh.......
I bought one of these from this retailer and was very pleased with the device and with the parking lot training they gave my crew.

Laser craft products -Contour XLR

If you're looking at precision surveying then check out Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Ashtech & Trimble.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought one of these from this retailer and was very pleased with the device and with the parking lot training they gave my crew.

Laser craft products -Contour XLR

If you're looking at precision surveying then check out Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Ashtech & Trimble.
heh,heh.....thanks BOT, this ContourXLR is good stuff! heh, heh......more suited for mapping and GIS Pro's. I am now considering the Leica Disto as these appear most user-friendly and versatile. The Hilti remains a close contender! Decisions! Decisions! heh, heh.......Trying out both this weekend!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Or if you studied math outside of the US, you can pretty much do it in your head :D

btw, which CAD program of the two that you mentioned do you prefer?
heh, heh......you bet! heh, heh.......Autocad and Microstation are the most common industry standard here with the Architectural Desktop more suited and used in Architectural Design. Autocad appears to be more popular of the two and also being more 'user friendly'. My preference is the ADT but it has a hell of a learning curve to fully optimise the software! The good old Autodesk AEC as a separate add-on package was much easier to use and I still use it sometimes on a dedicated laptop with Autocad R12 and Windows 98! heh, heh......on the laser measuring front, I had been looking to upgrade from the traditional 'Stanley' tape for quite some time and reckon now is the right time in view of the high tech 'gizmos' around in the market! heh, heh......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts