Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was able to put in 17 gallons! :eek: I had the needle at the R mark for quite a while but since I used the AC in warmer city traffic it was down to 22.5MPG. And I also had some fast runs at 80-90mph on several occasions (running late for school).

I wonder why the R light did not come on? At how many gallons should the R light come on?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
mine doesn't come on either. only when I start to crank the car it comes on.

·
Registered
'82 300D
1,279 Posts
MIne used to come on right under 1/4 tank, and would jump around between 1/4 and 1/2. I've been running B100 now for the past 5000 miles, and now the light comes on just about the empty mark, and the guage has stopped it's dancing.

19 Gallons is the most I have put in, so far. My trip meter stops at x9.9, never reading more that 99.9, so I just go by the fuel guage, or the odo if I remember too.

·
Registered
83 300D-T
72 Posts
The most I put in was 19.8...my bulb does not light either.
I reset the trip meter each fillup...now when I hit 400 - 425 miles, I look for a station.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
whats the total capacity of the W123 tank? In liters or gallons.

·
Registered
'87 300D
1,394 Posts
IIRC total capcacity is 21.5 gallons with a 3 gallon reserve capacity.. I dont feel like going out to the car to check the book

largest fill up for me.. 20 gallons.. and it cost me around 65$.. I like having a huge tank

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
as best i can remember reserve is 2.5 gallons. when the sender gets to that point it triggers a different set of contacts and causes the reserve light to come on.

·
Registered
1984 300TD
60 Posts
well, I just pulled my sender and cleaned it out- not too bad of a job in a wagon. there are a set of contacts that the float touches to activate the lite. my sender was all gooped up- nasty. I would rrun out of fuel while reading 3/16 tank. not any more.

I have put 17.6 gal in my TD.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
I got 4 full poly cubes (3 oil and 1 biodiesel) into the 240D which filled up to the neck. The cubes usually hold 5 gallons or more so I presume that's 20 gallons but it doesn't seem right.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The R light turns on when I start the car, but I've never had it turn on when the fuel read low, even at 1/4 or near the empty mark. I'm guessing the gauge is optimistic, reading more than it should be.

Because I fill up mostly with 15 gallons and I thought that was already it, since it was already reading at the R mark. I tried pushing it this last time and got 17 gallons in flat. Since a lot of you mention you get 20 gallons I'm beginning to think the gauge is optimistic and that if it reads R, it actually has a lot more left in it. So if it's reading optimistic I'm guessing it needs some treatment...

Next time it reads low I'll see if I can pour in some biodiesel (I mostly fill up with diesel). Now I have to look for the closest station here.

Those with a wagon will only be able to fill up to 18.5 gallons (its capacity). I once ran our former TD down to 17 gallons and it was already stalling.

So if I currently have a range of 400 miles for the 15 gallons (25mpg) and maintain my fuel economy, I could actually get a total of 533.333... miles total for 20 full gallons. And since my best MPG was 28, I could get 560 miles if I ran it down all the way to 20 full gallons again. Is this right along those who have similar MPG and have poured in 20 gallons?

·
Registered
1984 300TD
60 Posts
diametricalbenz said:
I got 4 full poly cubes (3 oil and 1 biodiesel) into the 240D which filled up to the neck. The cubes usually hold 5 gallons or more so I presume that's 20 gallons but it doesn't seem right.
35 lbs of grease= 4.5 gallons x 4 =18gal

·
Registered
1985 300 turbodiesel
102 Posts
Here's what Ive noticed so far. I used to run out, and I mean stranded on the side of the road, of diesel with the gauge showing at least some needle movement. I would fill up and between the 1.5 gal walk to the station tank and the topping off, the most I could put in was about 14.5 gal. So I pulled the tank to get at the tank strainer, not that bad of a job actually, cuz I couldn't get enough torque on it from underneath, and lo and behold the only place fuel could exit the tank was through the top of the strainer. The sides were completely clogged with black tar-like schmutz.

So... I replaced the strainer, added star tron, enough to shock the system, let it sit for 24-48 hours etc. Have replaced 2 prefilters since then, once the screen inside became coated with black crud, its been maybe 10-12 full tanks, with star-tron added in lower doses twice.

Last week I removed the tank sender, took it apart, (please please be careful with this part the little wires inside break if you look at them wrong) dumped out the black crud, re-soldered the wire going from the contacts at the base where, if the float makes contact it turns on the reserve light.

Like a [email protected] however, I didn't test the sender to see if the dash light was on with the float at the bottom of its travel. So now I still have no idea if my repair worked, I don't run out of fuel anymore but the most I've put in is 14.8 to 15.1 gal. Im gonna fill up my little red plastic tank and drive till I can't drive no mo.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,891 Posts
i put 20.5 gallons in my 240D yesterday... thats the most i have put in

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
17.473 gallons yesterday. The light had been on for maybe 10-15 miles, so about 1/2 gallon. If the total volume of the tank is 21.5, and the light came on at 17 gallons, then that leaves 4.5 gallons.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
17.473 gallons yesterday. The light had been on for maybe 10-15 miles, so about 1/2 gallon. If the total volume of the tank is 21.5, and the light came on at 17 gallons, then that leaves 4.5 gallons.
I just put in 17.788 gal. and the light had been on for 32 mile of highway speed, 80mph. HHUMMMMM.
When I drained my tank to pull it for a cleaning, I was on "R" and pulled 5 gal. of WVO out for the bottom hose. I thought it was just the WVO messing with my gauge. But then again, none of my stock gauges has been right soo far!!!!!!

·
Registered
300TE 4MATIC
10 Posts
My light flucuates, and I usually trip the mileage when the light comes on. I also carry a can of high test in the trunk of my TE, just in case. I filled it from empty costs me $65 and the result was 19.75 gallons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts