Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Oh! oh! thats a good one :thumbsup: I guess it fits fairly well to some that I know with Rovers However My Rover always gets me there and back out better than the guys with their over done fords and chevs...

They seems to always have to use the winch and have to be towed back home.

I have only used my winch one time and that was to pull someone else out of the mud.:cool:

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
It would be funny if it wasn't true. Everyone should own at least one car with Lucas electrics. Your appreciation for your sneakers will never be the same again.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It would be funny if it wasn't true. Everyone should own at least one car with Lucas electrics. Your appreciation for your sneakers will never be the same again.
Ah its the Lucas Electrics Hmmm? Lucas electrics is just like any of the other junk out there.......If you don't understand how it works, care for and to fix it You with get bit.
I would rather have a Lucas Starter or Alternator in my Rover than a Dam delco pile of junk because I can fix the lucas in the field and be on my way where as with a delco made system forget it... call the tow truck.:D

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
How'd Lucas get so big if the quality is so suspect?

The Rover I met didn't have a bad electrical system-- he needed a valve-job at around 75k miles. A 1997 or so Discovery.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
^The problem is you have to fix it in the field.
I'd rather do that than have to have it towed back home to repalce it with a new one!

Think about this.... in the last 11 off road trips for the club there has been from 7 to 12 trucks with 4 of them being LandRovers 2 of them Jeeps and the others were fords or chevs.

everytime we have gone out one of the fords has busted somthing.... from an axel to fan belts ok fan belt no big deal.

at least one chev had to be towed to the nearest main road.

and when there has been deep water in the drive a chev has died everytime due to ignition system problem or alternator got too wet. (tow it home time)

in the last 11 trips only one landrover has had a real problem.. of all things it was mine... I had my starter off two weeks before the trip and did not put the brush cover back on correctly so it filled with water.... we pulled it out in the field cleaned it replaced the brushes and away we went.... 1.5 hour plus time for a few beers....:thumbsup: guess what? the chev and ford and jeep guys all bring extra starters and alternators with them... the rover guys? just a can of electrical contact cleaner, spare starter brushes and alternator brushes along with diodes for the alternator...:)
As for the jeep guys? they bring a CB radio and a lot of cash so they can call for help and pay for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts