Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how would we rate the friendliness of Land Rover with Mercedes-Benz? I've always viewed relations between the two companies as friendly and mutual (lets not forget where the power-seat switches on old Range Rovers and Discoveries came from) I've heard that quite a few Benz owners are also Rover owners. Dissimilar cars but for a similar market. Questions and comments will be most welcome.

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
I also own a series LandRover as well as my S600L.Having also owned RangeRovers and I know what you mean about the seat switches!Did you also know that the auto transmitions in Jaguar XJ's(95 on)are the Mercedes units as they were the only ones able to take the engine power![:0]

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there was an old saying from some years ago that went "Land Rover for the winter and a Mercedes for the rest of the year"[:D]

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
Didn't think there was a connection. BMW provided the engines for the 2.5 Range Rovers for a while but never heard of Mercedes parts being used[?]

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was actually somewhat surprised to learn that the new LR3 (Discovery 3) has emergency break assist. Did Mercedes hand it over to Land Rover or something? Does anyone know what the story is behind that? I know that Land Rover isn't the type to go around copying others *cough* lexus...

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
I don't think its a question of copying - more like the manufacturers of the various parts touting their wares to other companies to increase their overall market[;)]A prime example is alternators - the ones fitted to MB's are also fitted to other vehicles - MB didn't farm them out just the supplier and manufacturer![:)]

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah suddenly everything makes sence...I guess you'll just have to excuse my ignorance then[:p]

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres another quote that fits this thread and this forum very well "In the world of passenger cars, there is Mercedes-Benz and everything else. In the world of sport-utility vehicles, there is Land Rover and everything else."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts