Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This warning comes on when I turn the lights on. However, I've checked all the lights, and I can't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

car is a 1999 E320 non-4matic.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Please take a minute to click the user cp link and choose edit details so you can add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's often useful information when you are seeking assistance.

Have you followed the procedure outlined in the stickies to find the proper circuit for the suspect?

Have you double-checked the license plate bulbs? There are two of them and that's the most common one to miss.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll take another look at the sticky, but I didn't really see any solid suggestions. I did look at both license plate illumination lights and got no where.

I can only find 4 lights that flash for blinkers, one in each headlight, and one each in the rear tail lights.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
Thanks, I'll take another look at the sticky, but I didn't really see any solid suggestions. I did look at both license plate illumination lights and got no where.

I can only find 4 lights that flash for blinkers, one in each headlight, and one each in the rear tail lights.
the sticky titled "Defective Bulb Warning..." would have itemized the bulbs
which are critical and part of the bulb warning system. did you use this list
to inventory your search?

I did look at both license plate illumination lights and got no where.
i'm not sure what 'got no where' means. are you saying that both bulbs
were verified as operational....or what?

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup. I checked the lights on that list last night in the dark and they are all functional, even the two rear license plate bulbs, unless you guys mean that there are two bulbs in each reflector... There are two reflectors and one illumination lamp in each. Are the front side marker lights supposed to flash with the blinkers? They only are staying solid when the lights are turned on. Not sure if that's that problem or not.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
Yup. I checked the lights on that list last night in the dark and they are all functional, even the two rear license plate bulbs, unless you guys mean that there are two bulbs in each reflector... There are two reflectors and one illumination lamp in each. Are the front side marker lights supposed to flash with the blinkers? They only are staying solid when the lights are turned on. Not sure if that's that problem or not.
ahh...okay, so the license plate lights (of which there are 2) are functioning.

so now you can do the inventory using the list in the STICKY link and report back

also another clue would be WHEN the bulb malfunction warning comes on....e.g.
if it lights up only after you perform a specific function to the car, such as backing
up, just turning on the ignition (and if so, which position is the key), etc etc

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is the part that it's coming on at...

For each circuit let the "test cycle" last 5 seconds or so before proceeding.

Get in and close the door, start the car.

Step on the brake (stoplights - BOTH bulbs, including CHMBL). If no error, continue.

Foot still on the brake, engage reverse (back-up lights). If no error, put it in park and release the brake pedal, continue.

Turn on the left turn signal (F&R drivers' side turn signal bulbs). If no error, turn off the LT signal and continue.

Turn on the right turn signal (F&R passenger side turn signal bulbs). If no error, turn off the RT signal and continue.

Turn the headlight switch one click to the right (running lights: city lights, marker lights, taillights). here Thing is, all these lights work. There is a light on each front marker light, a small illumination light in both the front center lights, and there are two lights on in each of the tail lights.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
^^^

To reiterate Raymond's question...and are BOTH license-plate bulbs coming on as well?

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, the license plate illumination bulbs work. There are two reflector housings, and each one has a working bulb inside of it.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
i see that this verification process comes down to technique, as well. :) i
never thought to do it the way carl described several posts up. what i've
done is leave the cabin/driver's seat and walk out to see if the light was
function at each step. in the rear, I positioned a paint roller pan to reflect
the light. in other words, instead of relying on a secondary indication (the
bulb malfunction warning) to illuminate, I visually checked each time I invoked
a particular light(s) to ensure that it was on.

·
Registered
1999 E300 TD
46 Posts
The next place to look is on the tail lights.
Open the covers and remove the bulb sockets.

Check the circuit board for black/burned spots or any melting.
Also check the sockets for black/burned spots.

You may also get faked out if somebody put LEDs in place of the normal style tag lights.

-TDP

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something is a bit weird. First off, I inspected the rear tail lights to check for corrosion. The passenger side has a cover in one area that doesn't look removeable, and the driver's side has one in that spot. Very odd. I can take a pick if you guys don't understand what I'm saying..

Other weird thing. Drove the car for a bit, no problems. Turned lights on for a while, off, parking.. Etc. No lights. I pull in the driveway and the inoperative lamp thing pops up. I'm guess that this means there is some corrosion somewhere, or maybe I need to replace the tail light bulbs that are dual filament? Let me know.

I'm going to try replacing the tail light bulbs for giggles.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
Something is a bit weird. First off, I inspected the rear tail lights to check for corrosion. The passenger side has a cover in one area that doesn't look removeable, and the driver's side has one in that spot. Very odd. I can take a pick if you guys don't understand what I'm saying..

Other weird thing. Drove the car for a bit, no problems. Turned lights on for a while, off, parking.. Etc. No lights. I pull in the driveway and the inoperative lamp thing pops up. I'm guess that this means there is some corrosion somewhere, or maybe I need to replace the tail light bulbs that are dual filament? Let me know.

I'm going to try replacing the tail light bulbs for giggles.
two thoughts: the rear lights (cover) observation may have to do with the
fact that only one side has 'fog' indicator. the other side does not. this is as
designed. do you think this is what you're seeing back there?

for the rear 'brake' light bulbs, you can try swapping from one side to the other and then seeing if the malfunction light ailment continues.

(pull into the driveway....ergo....bump.....which jostles a bulb with poor connectivity?)

·
Registered
1999 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally. Not sure why I didn't see it last night, but the there was a really tiny arc between the passenger side brake lamp and the holder for said lamp. I'm guessing if I sand down both parts it should work. It flat out didn't come on tonight, and that made it easy to find, but then when I moved it in the cradle ever so slightly I could see the arc between the lamp carrier and the frame. Whew. What a pain in the ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts