Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I had the lamp failure idiot message come up all the time for what I assumed was one of my license plate lights being out. I finally got around to replacing that but the lamp failure still comes on. I can't find any other light that is out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
05 E55
419 Posts
jtbeche - 5/11/2005 3:11 PM

Quick question. I had the lamp failure idiot message come up all the time for what I assumed was one of my license plate lights being out. I finally got around to replacing that but the lamp failure still comes on. I can't find any other light that is out. Any ideas?
Did you check your brake lights?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Break lights or Rear fog lights or high beams maybe? if all chec out ok, just reset your computer. some times the ECU gets a weird electric reading and quircks out.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked them all.....high beams, rear fog light, brake lights, side lights, fog lights....everything. I can't find one single bulb that's out. Would I have to have the dealership reset that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i know its anoying as hell to have that pop up everytime you turn on your lights. but im most cases if there is nothing wrong, the ECU will reset itself... I think the ECU waits for 3 or 5 times of successful lamp startups before it erases it from memory. IF you want the dealer to reset it, it will cost you.. so be patient.

Just in case, check your fuses under the hood. It is common for Mercedes to have more than one fuse per light and a light may still functintion but the circuit is shutoff... that might account for the power surge that is throwing off the ECU.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
I had the same problem with my car. Nothing was wrong when checked. I brought to the dealer and they couldn't fix it either so there was no charge. It sure annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same problem here. In my case, it was very intermittent and seems to be either a bulb that's on its way out, or a loose connection. Mine was one of the two tail lights on the driver side rear. When your headlights are on, there are two bulbs side by side on both the left and right sides. I hadn't noticed it since both sides were still lit. I reached beind from the trunk and wiggled the connector a bit and the light came on. Strange thing though is when it does happen, it's usually only the first time I turn on the headlights. If I turn off the ignition and restart a few times, it goes away.

A couple points. First, you do have to cycle the keyswitch to get the idiot message to clear even if the bulb comes back on. Kindofa pain in traffic! Second, the test is done by the ECU when power is applied to the lamps. The ECU senses a small current drain from each of the lamp power lines which indicates that the attached electronic device is operating. Since electrical current doesn't immediately snap on and off, if the bulb does eventually turn on, a rapid cycle of the headlamp switch and key should clear it before the power drains completely.

Mark

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My "Lamp Defective" comes on everytime I turn on the lights no questions asked. When I bought the car a few months ago I checked every light figuring I'd live with it if it was only the license plate light that was the problem. Who knows....maybe in the meantime another bulb did go out. I usually just hit the "R" button or whatever it is on the right side to "scroll" it off. I haven't reset anything because I don't know how.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550
79 Posts
i had the same problem and checked every bulb,all were working...it wound up being the switch that turns off the lights after you shut the car off///sorry don't know what it was called exactly

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
I had something similar happen. All my lights appeared to work but I was getting this error as well...took it to the dealer and they scraped the inside of the bulb housing on the brake lights. There was apparently some residue on the inside of the housing that was affecting the contact between the housing and the bulb. The error is generated when the current doesn't flow through the circuit, thus the problem I was having. Let us know what you figure out!

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts
Perhaps the previous owner installed LED bulbs in the head or tail lights. Because they drain very little power, the warning appears. I just put LEDs in my small/inner lights so the messages appears (I know the solution). Check to see if you have regular bulbs or LEDs.

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Str8ridin figured it out for me. I'm pretty much officially a dumbass. It was my city lights. Both are burned out so I didn't really even think about them. I was thinking about it and wondered if you could just pull the fuse for only those lights? It sounds like something I'd do because I don't like those lights on. Can anyone tell me if that's possible? If it's not I suppose I'll just replace both of those lights.

·
Registered
CLK 430
29 Posts
jtbeche - 5/19/2005 8:13 AM

I was thinking about it and wondered if you could just pull the fuse for only those lights? It sounds like something I'd do because I don't like those lights on. Can anyone tell me if that's possible? If it's not I suppose I'll just replace both of those lights.
HOEN actually makes a replacement city light that's designed to match the zenons. Bad thing is they're 4 months on back order. http://www.hoen-usa.com/city2.htm

·
Registered
2001 CLK-55
25 Posts
Yeah....I've had this same thing happening since I got my car. I replaced every bulb with no luck. Any one get it figured out?

·
Registered
2011 e550
51 Posts
wow.... and i thought i was the only one having those darn annoying lamp problems. i thought i was just being stupid and was missing an obvious burnt out light, but i guess that's not the case according to this forum topic. although i'm sorry to hear we're all having the probs, it does make me feel slighty better than i'm not the only one in this boat... hahaha... so thanks, i am sane.[:p]

·
Registered
02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I did get mine figured out (with help) but like I said....I just couldn't figure it out because I'm a moron.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts