Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,932 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I think you got the PN wrong. My records indicate the PN is 1263301135. You may want to check if I am right.

No affiliation with the seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Suspension-Support-Bracket-Repair-Kit-Front-Left-Right-OEM-LEMFOERDER/132035718604?hash=item1ebdf12dcc:g:pUMAAOSwJ7RYUwb5
Thanks guys, my EPC points to 2 P/Ns (see below image):
1263301035 being the ball jt part only and
1263301335 which is the complete kit that includes brackets, hardware, etc.

The links you both posted are for the P/N with the most availability and good price, which is also a kit - 1263301135.

Can there be such differences between the 2 kit P/Ns and can my car be that specific? I mean it is a Euro, but it has no SLS, or any other exotic suspension bits... How can one find whether 1263301135 and 1263301335 are interchangeable? As per AutohausAZ they are interchangeable, but that is the only proof I found so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,614 Posts
Bruce, I hear what you are saying and I fully agree. The only issue I have is when you get to order that OEM part (knowing that you are shelling out big bucks for quality), you find out it's no longer available. In addition with so much knowledge on this forum, it's almost impossible to think that the suppliers of a particular part to Mercedes are not known and whether they offer their own private label part - I'll use Lemforder and even Febi as an example with their parts being the same as the OEM ones only with the OE P/N and logo removed. And who doesn't like to save a buck, or 90...

As much as I think I know the good suppliers, I find out that I don't! Is "Optimal" one?
If the price difference to the Optimal product is great, its probably 'too good to be true' and junk.
A google search of the brand should be all that's needed. Imo, if it can be found, Meyle is about middle of the road.
Scroll down to the forum supporting vendors. Several sell OE Mercedes parts at highly discounted prices. For example, MBoemparts is really Mercedes Benz of Napierville (near Chicago). Autohausaz sells original parts at good prices and uses the original MB parts numbers.
Also, frequently older parts numbers have been superseded.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
If the price difference to the Optimal product is great, its probably 'too good to be true' and junk.
A google search of the brand should be all that's needed. Imo, if it can be found, Meyle is about middle of the road.
Scroll down to the forum supporting vendors. Several sell OE Mercedes parts at highly discounted prices. For example, MBoemparts is really Mercedes Benz of Napierville (near Chicago). Autohausaz sells original parts at good prices and uses the original MB parts numbers.
Also, frequently older parts numbers have been superseded.
Optimal is off the table, as I wrote above I don't feel like experimenting.

I always get the Mercedes prices first with the sources you mentioned, then look for reputable aftermarket alternatives and my 2 go-to places are RM European and FCP Euro.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I realized I haven't updated this in a long time. A few things were done to the car during the summer, I also enjoyed it on a few weekends.

Chronologically speaking this is what happened this summer:

Replaced ICV fixed the high idle
Installed NGK BP6ES plugs, Bosch cap/rotor/ignition coil, Kingsborne wires. Fixed the rich running
Changed the air filter - Mahle
Changed the oil filter housing lid
Oil/Filter Change - Rotella T5 15W40

Had the transmission modulator replaced
Had the shifter bushings replaced
Had the throttle linkages adjusted

After the above, I joined the local MB Club and participated in their largest annual gathering. Placed 2nd in the Popular Choice category - this was in late June/early July.

Driving the car allowed me to identify some issues and annoyances, therefore the "to do list" grew substantially. So I started addressing issues, I think it had alot of work done, I am trying to list them and am sure that I am missing a couple details...

Engine:
Valve stem seals, valve cover gaskets and cam oiler tubes - all MB. Had the timing checked and there is almost no stretch, so the guides/tensioner and chain will be done in the future.
Also had both engine mounts replaced
RH intake tube (MB), found out the LH one is NLA, so if anyone has a good used piece, please PM me
Another oil change

Fuel delivery:
Injectors (Bosch), injector seals (MB)
I also have the 2 Bosch fuel pumps and a Mahle fuel filter purchased, but did not get to it, next year...

Front axle:
Brake rotors and pads (MB), BOWA wear sensors, ATE lines, ABS sensor harness replaced on the RH side w/used one and all new brake rotor and caliper bolts (MB), ATE DOT4 fluid flush
Lower ball joints (Lemforder), caster rod bushings (Lemforder), the 2 lower rear rod mounts (Lemforder), I also purchased 2 MB upper control mounts, but did not have them installed
Both tie rod assemblies (Lemforder), center link (Febi) and steering damper (Stabilus)
Alignment

Steering:
Replaced steering box w/used unit - lucked out so far
Low pressure P/S hose
Idler arm kit (Lemforder)
P/S pump filter (MANN) and fluid flush

Misc:
Foot rest was shattered to pieces and had it replaced with a used one
Antenna grommet replaced

Reading the above does not really seem like a lot, but it left a mark on my wallet... But my GOD, does the car feel so much tighter and right!

Again, I blew it up with the planning. I was hoping to have everything mechanical done this year and maybe leave cosmetics for the next but it's not happening. Oh well... I will leave next year plans for another post, let the winter parts hoarding commence!

Since there were no cosmetic improvements, the pictures kind of reflect it.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,183 Posts
if u have a row car, why does the exhaust tubes go from 2 to one and then 2 again before the resonators

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I’d say that’s a whole lot! :eek: Good job! :thumbsup:
Thanks!

if u have a row car, why does the exhaust tubes go from 2 to one and then 2 again before the resonators
Car was sold new to Qatar, then went to Japan as a used import - me thinks it was the only way you could import a RUF/ECE version. In order to comply with the local emission regulations it required a catalyst retrofit. While the converter itself looks OEM, it is clear to me that it was added on later. I will fix that one day :wink

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,932 Posts
Yeah I can remember having a pile of boxes that parts came in (almost like a kid at Christmas :grin) Matter of fact I have two boxes of stuff out there now, in the midst of tearing down the SLS for replacements

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
With the weather being really unpredictable, "The Friedrich" came out of slumber last month. It received a fair bit of work, with more to come - I will put together a post detailing all the work at a later date, today it was time to enjoy a nice cruise with a friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Looking outside the window I see everything covered in snow. It's hard to believe that another full season has come to an end and the car went back to sleep for the winter - hurray for 4-5 months of hoarding even more parts. Anyways, for the most part Friedrich ran great. The only real issue was another fuel leak at the fuel pumps, easily fixed since I already had all the replacement parts. In a nutshell, the following was done this year:

Finally replaced fuel filter, pumps and all the rubber lines under the car (still have the ones to/from the FD to replace, then the lines will be all new)
New Bosch battery
Fixed an oil leak from the cooler
Replaced the tail lights
Got a mild paint correction done, repainted bumpers and a few dents and chips taken care of
Deep seat cleaning
Had a couple AC system seals replaced and system recharged

Had alot more on the to do list, but ran out of time. I'll come back to the list of things to do later. I am adding a fewpictures, should have taken way more...

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
One last thing, I always thought the tail light lenses looked decent (aside from the RH one being cracked), but the side by side difference is quite substantial...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks Ian!

I used Depo, but I would not recommend them! I bought them as a set (lens/seal and reflectors), but they were impossible to mount, the reflectors had a bad design with the mold lines interfering with the mounting tabs on the body. I tried to use a Dremel to trim them down, but they would simply not fit. That's when I thought about trying to use the lens and seals, which were a great fit. So far no leaks.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,543 Posts
Ah yes I have Depo rear lenses too. Very slight leak though, only a little but of course I live in the UK so I put the stock ones back on. I miss the lovely white sections though, no amount of cleaning the others makes them truly white.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Ah yes I have Depo rear lenses too. Very slight leak though, only a little but of course I live in the UK so I put the stock ones back on. I miss the lovely white sections though, no amount of cleaning the others makes them truly white.
Bummer!
But don't worry, there is a solution. Check the link below and report back:

61 - 80 of 83 Posts