41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Gorgeous!
Thanks!

As for Toronto, I try to avoid it, in fact last year was the first time in 22 years that I didn't come down to work the September film festival.

There is a big car/bike show here in town on the first Saturday in July called Chrome On The Canal. Quite a turnout, a couple hundred or more show up.
There are a few good shows that I and a couple local guys plan to attend, such as:

Berlin Klassik in Guelph
Cars'n'Coffee in Woodbridge
the MBCA TO chapter show

And others that I am forgetting.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,241 Posts
that is a pretty car....by what method was it lowered

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
that is a pretty car....by what method was it lowered
Thanks, I have no idea. I tried looking for original pics and cannot tell whether it was indeed lowered or not. Funny you mention that because it's the first car I bought that has a nice stance without me lowering or modifying anything.

Once the spring comes (will it ever?), I will have to change the brakes and a couple other things, so I will see what's in there.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
There is a big car/bike show here in town on the first Saturday in July called Chrome On The Canal. Quite a turnout, a couple hundred or more show up.
Here's some photos from last year. The car wasn't in the show, just did a drive-by shooting through the window. The last 2 photos I just stopped so my son could use a port-a-potty for a dump.
If you can make it over here on July 7th I'll provide the steaks and BBQ.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO2T808ztJq2q8mU5QwzuhWoVGda-TCWptwrFwrYpZcEall7r6l94S8kIceaXuqkQ?key=TldnQUZwMFVIWV96aERyVkxGMEdlbjE1NzJxazV3

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
A "spring" update (you can still see snow on the ground...): Took "Friedrich" out of storage last Saturday and brought him home. Even though it wore a car cover in storage, it was filthy. So it received a bath.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So after I spend a few hours for that wash, my dear Frindrich has decided to reward me with a gift. Gas leaking in the fuel pump area - rubber hose. At least we avoided the CAR-B-Queue! So last Monday it went to an indy shop to get a few things done. Normally I would tackle all the rubber hoses in the fuel pump area on a weekend, however since this car was a long distance purchase and although I had a PPI done, I wanted the elder mechanic to give it a look over and tell me all that requires attention. Have not heard back yet!

Meanwhile, I received the first batch of parts (all ignition components, brakes and a couple other items) and I am getting anxious to mount the wheels, but safety first!

To be continued!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,161 Posts
Glad you avoided a potentially B A D situation.

That SEC is a stunner. But we still need interior pics! :)

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,172 Posts
Looking good.

The Ontario plate looks lost on that Euro bumper. I've got an extra Euro mounting frame if you decide to get a fake German one off e-bay like mine.

I had to hang the original one below after getting stopped a few times by the OPP here in town.:wink

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Glad you avoided a potentially B A D situation.

That SEC is a stunner. But we still need interior pics! :)
Thanks, I will post some more detailed pics once I get a couple annoyances diagnosed.

Sweet ride, Congrats!
Thanks!

Looking good.

The Ontario plate looks lost on that Euro bumper. I've got an extra Euro mounting frame if you decide to get a fake German one off e-bay like mine.

I had to hang the original one below after getting stopped a few times by the OPP here in town.:wink
Thanks, it will have to stay the way it is.

SO beautiful. The Euro version always stands out over the US version.
Thanks!

So the gasoline leak was fixed, it was indeed a banjo bolt and washer that required replacement.

What was found was close to what the PPI revealed back in December:

P/S pump weeping
P/S box leaks
Caster Rod Bushings are done (see attached circled pic)
1 lower ball joint is missing the boot, other one looks like it will follow soon
Mounting bearing (113 in the attached pic) has some oil residue on the left side, I've been advised to change it eventually
Oil pan leaks
Tranny pan leaks
Diff cover leaks

The mechanic commented on how clean the undercarriage is, he wanted me to see for myself and I did. However in all my excitement I forgot to snap a pic. There is absolutely ZERO rust and no signs of accidents damage.

The above repairs, as well as the tune-up/brakes/etc are on hold because I am trying to diagnose a high idle/rough warm up running/exhaust smells very rich. I have a used ICV coming in and I am looking for an idle control unit - the voltage measured at the ICV plug w/the engine running is not stable (hard to read).

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,934 Posts
Yeah those rod bushings always seem to be shot at an ownership change, I've done two sets on two cars. Something I read MANY years ago about these is this, if you ever have to be towed, put it on a flatbed wrecker. Don't ever have your car towed with it's a$$ in the air (backwards riding on the front wheels). What I read stated that even short distances will wreck those joints

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah those rod bushings always seem to be shot at an ownership change, I've done two sets on two cars. Something I read MANY years ago about these is this, if you ever have to be towed, put it on a flatbed wrecker. Don't ever have your car towed with it's a$$ in the air (backwards riding on the front wheels). What I read stated that even short distances will wreck those joints
Interesting... Who makes these for MB? All I can find is the OEM part (which I don't even know if it's still available), or some brand called "Optimal" that I've never heard about. Anything else available at this time? P/N is 1263301035.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Interesting... Who makes these for MB? All I can find is the OEM part (which I don't even know if it's still available), or some brand called "Optimal" that I've never heard about. Anything else available at this time? P/N is 1263301035.
I don't know who supplied MB with them but the two replacements I've done were Lemforder joints. There are several online parts houses (don't know if we can mention them here) that carry various brands and at various prices

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I don't know who supplied MB with them but the two replacements I've done were Lemforder joints. There are several online parts houses (don't know if we can mention them here) that carry various brands and at various prices
I specifically searched for Lemforder 1263301035 and got nothing. I am afraid they no longer make them, so if you or anyone else has a source for them please PM me.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
It's a crapshoot sometimes. I've been told Febi can be good on some things (a reboxer) With me if I can't find certain parts I just go with MB parts, yeah sometimes a little more expensive BUT look at what you are wanting to fix and keep going (I'm just picky on this car, "The BEST or nothing" rings true here, never done this with any car I've owned til now)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Bruce, I hear what you are saying and I fully agree. The only issue I have is when you get to order that OEM part (knowing that you are shelling out big bucks for quality), you find out it's no longer available. In addition with so much knowledge on this forum, it's almost impossible to think that the suppliers of a particular part to Mercedes are not known and whether they offer their own private label part - I'll use Lemforder and even Febi as an example with their parts being the same as the OEM ones only with the OE P/N and logo removed. And who doesn't like to save a buck, or 90...

As much as I think I know the good suppliers, I find out that I don't! Is "Optimal" one?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,651 Posts
Who makes these for MB? All I can find is the OEM part (which I don't even know if it's still available), or some brand called "Optimal" that I've never heard about. Anything else available at this time? P/N is 1263301035.
I think you got the PN wrong. My records indicate the PN is 1263301135. You may want to check if I am right.

No affiliation with the seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Suspension-Support-Bracket-Repair-Kit-Front-Left-Right-OEM-LEMFOERDER/132035718604?hash=item1ebdf12dcc:g:pUMAAOSwJ7RYUwb5

41 - 60 of 83 Posts