Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,932 Posts
No idea on the car's previous owners, but these flag poles were used on the passenger side simply as a visual indicator to help the driver maneuver a large car such as the 126 through confined spaces that are very common in Japan. I guess it helped as there are no scratches on that bumper corner.
Us truck drivers lovingly call those "Rookie Sticks" so drivers know where the corner of their vehicles are :devil LOL Yeah I had them on my Mack but they also had blinkers on em

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts
That car is gorgeous, quite a find to be honest. And amazing you have no ride height problems to address, it sits so well already!

Be careful with the velour, it has a high wool content. Very durable but you wouldn't want to over wet it when cleaning, etc. Lovely car.

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That car is gorgeous, quite a find to be honest. And amazing you have no ride height problems to address, it sits so well already!

Be careful with the velour, it has a high wool content. Very durable but you wouldn't want to over wet it when cleaning, etc. Lovely car.
Thanks!

I looked for a few cleaning ideas after reading Kim's (KRH) and your suggestions and found that either steam cleaning it, or using a carpet extractor cleaner seemed to be the recommended methods. Is that on the right track?

In terms of cleaning/protecting products I found these:
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-carpet-cleaner.html
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/wolfgang-carpet-restorer.html#.WjsoAjdG1hE
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-interior-cleaner.html#.Wjsn5zdG1hE

Is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,646 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I am always happy when I see a car well preserved gets to a good home and receives the care and respect it deserves.

Thanks for the tip! Will start looking.
Well, believe it or not, the 8-pin EZL was one of the things that made me pass on an Euro 560SEC. I have never seen this type of EZL in the JYs in US (not to say that in Canada are not, however still not easy to find). I called the dealer and found out they are very expensive: ~ 1000 USD and are only in Germany (~ 374 pcs. left as of May of 2017). Because there is a limited quantity in the world, IMHO a C126 owner should have at least one spare EZL, if the car uses a 8-pin type. The used ones are ~ 300-400 USD on EBay, but not sure how much life they still have.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I am always happy when I see a car well preserved gets to a good home and receives the care and respect it deserves.

Thanks for the tip! Will start looking.
Well, believe it or not, the 8-pin EZL was one of the things that made me pass on an Euro 560SEC. I have never seen this type of EZL in the JYs in US (not to say that in Canada are not, however still not easy to find). I called the dealer and found out they are very expensive: ~ 1000 USD and are only in Germany (~ 374 pcs. left as of May of 2017). Because there is a limited quantity in the world, IMHO a C126 owner should have at least one spare EZL, if the car uses a 8-pin type. The used ones are ~ 300-400 USD on EBay, but not sure how much life they still have.
Good tip. One of my 420's has an 8 pin EZL and I got a spare despite the expense. Used though. It's stuck a worry otherwise.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts

Thanks!

I looked for a few cleaning ideas after reading Kim's (KRH) and your suggestions and found that either steam cleaning it, or using a carpet extractor cleaner seemed to be the recommended methods. Is that on the right track?

In terms of cleaning/protecting products I found these:
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/optimum-carpet-cleaner.html
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/wolfgang-carpet-restorer.html#.WjsoAjdG1hE
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-interior-cleaner.html#.Wjsn5zdG1hE

Is there something else I should be looking into?

Thanks!
Steam cleaning is great but I overdid it slightly in one area of velour once and it left permanent marks in the pile, which ruined the look unfortunately.
I think the thing to do is use the steam cleaner very gently if at all. That particular car was cream velour and the it did come up great. The mark I made was right in view, it was caused by too much heat.

I would suggest using an extractor during warm weather and being conservative with wetness, would probably get the best results. I like finishing up with fabric conditioner on the carpets for extra softness, might also be good on the velour.

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,139 Posts
Wow, I was not aware they are that expensive. :eek Such is life. I'd still buy a Euro. Too *** [email protected] awesome to pass up on a good one if the opportunity presented itself. But that is pie in the sky until I return to the U.S.

As for velour... No doubt I'd buy a Gen II interior and replace, stick the velour stuff into storage. :devil

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,020 Posts
Or find a 86-87 822-code 560 euro....

4-pin EZL (still tough to find a 822 unit) but these 4-pin units have proven to be much more resilient than the 8-pin units.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

Thanks! I did find a couple shops that rebuild the EZL units, albeit not any cheaper than the Ebay units but at least you get a refreshed unit, tested and ready to go. Best I could source the new ones for is ~$900US which is no chump change, but I may bite the bullet further down the road and get a new unit.

Wow, I was not aware they are that expensive. :eek Such is life. I'd still buy a Euro. Too *** [email protected] awesome to pass up on a good one if the opportunity presented itself. But that is pie in the sky until I return to the U.S.

As for velour... No doubt I'd buy a Gen II interior and replace, stick the velour stuff into storage. :devil
I kinda like the velour and finding a close to mint condition leather interior won't be easy, or inexpensive. Again, we'll see what the future holds...

Or find a 86-87 822-code 560 euro....

4-pin EZL (still tough to find a 822 unit) but these 4-pin units have proven to be much more resilient than the 8-pin units.
Do you have any experience with rebuild EZLs? Also, how difficult would it be to find a dead "core"?

Another question: Aside from the EZL, fuel distributor and camshafts are there any other specific hi-HP parts that I should be aware of?

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,932 Posts
I too have been on a quest to find a spare EZL for mine (not sure if I'd trust an ebay find). IF I had only known I would be owning a 560 back when I was snagging parts for the 300SE, seems that during "Cash For Clunkers" 560's were literally a dime a dozen in the yards around here :eek but now, good luck finding even ONE 126 period.

·
Registered
62,483 Posts
I too have been on a quest to find a spare EZL for mine (not sure if I'd trust an ebay find). IF I had only known I would be owning a 560 back when I was snagging parts for the 300SE, seems that during "Cash For Clunkers" 560's were literally a dime a dozen in the yards around here :eek but now, good luck finding even ONE 126 period.

PM me the number I'll send you one. :)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts
Dont ditch the velour, its lush! :) The velour for the SEC was different to the saloon options. Subtle stripes in it and stuff. Its really nice and very high quality. The blurb says it is deigned to wick away moisture to keep you comfortable, not sure about that though. I changed mine and I much prefer the leather in the summer personally.

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,171 Posts
I've got an extra Euro licence mount for your bumper, it's yours for free if you want it.
I will PM if I can find it.

If you enjoy being harassed by the OPP you can do what I did.:wink:wink:devil

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hell yeah! Now that is a car.
Thank you!

I've got an extra Euro licence mount for your bumper, it's yours for free if you want it.
I will PM if I can find it.

If you enjoy being harassed by the OPP you can do what I did.:wink:wink:devil

Thank you so much, the car actually has a proper mount, but it uses a "security torx" type bolt and I only found the wrench after I parked the car (indoor pic is without the zip ties):

Are you planning to attend any Toronto car meets/shows this season?

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,171 Posts
When I first got the coupe I just thought that the Ontario plate looked lost on that wide space on the Euro bumper and I had 2 of the plate brackets that came with the Euro wagon.

As for Toronto, I try to avoid it, in fact last year was the first time in 22 years that I didn't come down to work the September film festival.

There is a big car/bike show here in town on the first Saturday in July called Chrome On The Canal. Quite a turnout, a couple hundred or more show up.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts