1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ladies and Gents, here it is. My Euro 88 560SEC

It arrived today!

Where do I start? First things first, I owe a big THANK YOU to one awesome forum member who has helped me tremendously (not only with the purchasing of this car). Thank you, Daniel (Dikdaan)!!!

Long story short, I started looking for a 126 over a year ago. I favored the sedan over the coupe, but kept all options open. I really wanted a Euro/ROW (for aesthetic and performance reasons), but nice NA models were also considered. I kept a very close eye on the market, some cars I considered were (I can post some pics of them later if anyone is interested):
-82 500SEC Euro
-84 500SEC Euro
-84 500SEL Euro
-85 500SE Euro
-85 500SEL Euro
-86 560SEC Japan import (JDM)
-86 560SEL JDM
-87 560SEL JDM
-88 500SE Euro
-89 560SEL US
-90 420SE JDM
-90 420SEL JDM
-90 560SEL Canadian
-91 420SEL US
-91 560SEL US
-91 560SEL US

Fast forward to early November and Daniel sent me a link to an ad described as "Collector's Mercedes", asking me if we have seen this one before. We didn't and it must be said that we bounced so many ads and ideas back and forth, it was actually very easy to lose track.

The car advertised was located in Kelowna, BC and the ad was a few weeks old. All I saw was a Euro looking SEC, however there was no mention of the model designation (420/500/560). I called the number listed and got no response. Left a VM and sent an email expressing my interest. Heard nothing back. This is where Daniel was able to help and make ends meet: the sellers (a German couple in their 70s) responded to his call and told him they had alot of interested from outside the province, however they were fearing being scammed by long distance phony buyers, therefore did not want to entertain any long distance buyers. He assured them that I am legitimate and asked them to answer my call that was coming in a few minutes. The rest is history.

The car itself has made a very interesting journey, as it was sold new in Qatar (has option 623 - Gulf States), from there it went to Japan, then to the West Coast of Canada, then ended up here in Toronto. When I was told the car displays 115K kms, I was a bit skeptical because my understanding was that there was no paperwork from anywhere else but Canada. Then I received the paperwork and in between Canadian receipts there was a small folder with 4 original Shaken reports from Japan (these are emission/tech inspection reports done every 2 years), I got 91/93/95/97 and the mileage recorded started with ~20,000 in 91 and climbed to 28,000ish by 97. Then it was imported into Canada in 2005 and the first record from that year is at ~45,000 kms. Everything after is documented with service records up to 2017. It definitely makes the mileage a bit more plausible.

I had the car inspected and while it is not perfect, it is a fantastic foundation. I will most likely come back with a technical break down at a later date. The plan is to have it stored indoors until April, then register and drive it for the summer, while addressing a few annoyances. I am sure a couple drives in it will reveal all areas that need to be addressed.

So here is the VIN decoder:

Baumuster 126045
Sales name 560 SEC
Order number 0 8 807 10129 (Destination: Qatar)
Delivery date 1988-02
PAINT1 904 Midnight Blue (Dunkelblau)
Interior color 972 No code designation available
Engine 117968 12 046348
Gearbox 722350 03 059415
Parameter Value

251 BECKER RADIO MEXICO CASSETTE, FULL STEREO, ELECTRONIC
442 MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL (AIRBAG)
490 ELIMINATION OF WINDSHIELD/WASHING-WATER HEATER
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
524 *1 _______ 19951002 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
524 *2 117____ 20070910 VEHICLE PROTECTIVE COVER (FULL BODY COVER)
524 *3 117____ 20110218 VEHICLE PROTECTIVE COVER (FULL BODY COVER)
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
581 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER
581 *1 _______ 19951002 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER
581 *2 117____ 20070201 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
581 *3 117____ 20110221 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
597 HEAT-INSULATING GLASS, WINDSHIELD, BAND FILTER
601 OIL FOR REAR AXLE WITH LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL, IN CANISTERS AND CONTAINERS
623 VERSION FOR THE GULF STATES
677 Tropical battery
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
904 MIDNIGHT BLUE
972A VELOUR BLUE

And here are a few pictures (nicer/clean ones are from the seller, car arrived filthy after spending almost 10 days on a train across Canada):

And as received today...

And:

(owner's manual lists 205Kw for cat/220Kw non-cat, will check the EZL P/N later)
Christmas is here!

Thanks for looking and I'll come back with updates.

Cheers!
Florin

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,216 Posts
Good buying as its a Euro 88 with all the goodies including Tri-Y's and i suspect a 300hp high comp engine. Later 350 trans. Check the rear diff right hand bottom edge below the diff hat (flat surface at 45deg angle) and clean with degeaser/rag to read the diff ratio stamping. If its 2.65 your in luck.
Velour seats are rare and will need looking after and treating so they don't deteriorate from sun UV especially on the top of the rear seats.

Nice color combo and a big plus scoring a Euro for its clean sleek look
Congrats and welcome to the SEC club - you will never regret it

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good buying as its a Euro 88 with all the goodies including Tri-Y's and i suspect a 300hp high comp engine. Later 350 trans. Check the rear diff right hand bottom edge below the diff hat (flat surface at 45deg angle) and clean with degeaser/rag to read the diff ratio stamping. If its 2.65 your in luck.
Velour seats are rare and will need looking after and treating so they don't deteriorate from sun UV especially on the top of the rear seats.

Thank you, Kim! I will check the diff ratio when I get under the car in the spring. I will have to look up the velour seat maintenance (wasn't aware of it tbh).

·
Registered
1977 450 SEL 6.9
727 Posts
Nice one Florin!!! Yup we nailed this bad boy down with perseverance and a bit of luck too! The Benz gods smiled on us for sure and I am super happy for you! Most welcome for my support, it was fun for me to join you in the hunt. I'm sure fellow members are going to help you tons to sort out the niggles which are always present at first so let's start the next chapter in this journey:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one Florin!!! Yup we nailed this bad boy down with perseverance and a bit of luck too! The Benz gods smiled on us for sure and I am super happy for you! Most welcome for my support, it was fun for me to join you in the hunt. I'm sure fellow members are going to help you tons to sort out the niggles which are always present at first so let's start the next chapter in this journey:)
You are a Rock Star!

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC, 1990 560 SEL
84 Posts
Lovely!!! I have the same combo on my newly acquired 1990 560 SEL from Japan, except I have leather seating. Great find with the rear sunshade and the flag holder intact. One day I will add a proper coupe to the collection. Getting teased too much by pics like these! Looking forward to your adventures with it...

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,098 Posts
was just thinking of tyrones car, which i had the pleasure to see and meet a few weeks back....never realized how nice that color is...esp up close...

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,061 Posts
Good buying as its a Euro 88 with all the goodies including Tri-Y's and i suspect a 300hp high comp engine.

To add to what you & Kim have offered, I see there is NO mention of

AIR POLLUTION CONTROL
620 *1
_______ 19951215 AIR POLLUTION CONTROL
in the VIN decoder.

In your engine pic, this is supported by the absence of a rubber fresh air line from the airfilter box to the air pump.

Given those clues, there was no cat fitted originally..

That is quite the machine you just got!

Merry Christmas indeed!

MBL

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,015 Posts
+1 to everything said above. Very well done. You know how they say "in before the lock" - you certainly plucked out a nice color combo 300hp top dog euro 560 which is the SEC to have in this crazy market. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the kind words!

I must mention a couple things:

1. This is the reason I said that "patience has paid off" in my other thread. Hunting the classifieds for these cars can easily turn into alot of frustration! We have seen a few "gems" that belong in the junkyard, not the classifieds and the cherry on top: described as "mint" or "very good condition". Towards the end of the hunt, we (Daniel and I) knew how to qualify an ad based on its text and a couple pics. It is crazy to think how common the ad formats are nowadays.

2. There are still cars (and deals)out there, for me it meant I had to come out of my comfort zone and buy sight unseen and long distance. I think I took all necessary precautions, however time will really tell...

Lovely!!! I have the same combo on my newly acquired 1990 560 SEL from Japan, except I have leather seating. Great find with the rear sunshade and the flag holder intact. One day I will add a proper coupe to the collection. Getting teased too much by pics like these! Looking forward to your adventures with it...
Your car had the IL license plates and if I'm not mistaking the seller had a HI phone number. I admired that car when it came up for sale (about 2-3 months ago on LA CL?), but the asking price converted to Canadian $ plus shipping/duties/fees was quite a bit above my budget. You scored a nice car there and I must think that it is pretty rare in CA (not many EU Gen2s running around).

was just thinking of tyrones car, which i had the pleasure to see and meet a few weeks back....never realized how nice that color is...esp up close...
That is true the color is very nice and suits the car well. I think all blue shades offered on the 126 were pretty though.

To add to what you & Kim have offered, I see there is NO mention of

AIR POLLUTION CONTROL
620 *1
_______ 19951215 AIR POLLUTION CONTROL
in the VIN decoder.

In your engine pic, this is supported by the absence of fresh air line to the air pump.

Given those clues, there was no cat fitted originally..

That is quite the machine you just got!

Merry Christmas indeed!

MBL
Thanks, I suspect that purchasing the car from Qatar may have been a way to import a 300HP version into Japan. I do not know what kind of laws they have in Japan - especially when it comes to legalizing a foreign import (think of the Federalization for a Gray market import in the US), but they do have emissions testing. Once I have a peek underneath I will check for cats (and whether they are OEM or retrofitted/aftermarket).

Looks great, aftermarket exhaust tips?
Congrats on the new acquisition. The car will serve you tremendously over the years.
Yeah, looks like aftermarket tips. Not sure yet how I feel about them.

+1 to everything said above. Very well done. You know how they say "in before the lock" - you certainly plucked out a nice color combo 300hp top dog euro 560 which is the SEC to have in this crazy market. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Crazy thing is that I did not know about the Tri-Ys until last night! I kind of hoped for it, as EPC indicated that it is the 300HP motor but I did not have any proof (seller forgot to mail me the owners manual with the rest of the paperwork he left it in the glove box).

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,930 Posts
Santa Claus sure came early for you this year karmann, congratulations. Welcome to the Club, and the Coupe Club at that. You ended up with factory hotrodded "Banker's Hotrod" with the 300HP GenII with Tri-y's, what a snag for sure. Clean her up and put her in storage as you said and then come Spring you will definitely have a car to enjoy.

·
Registered
1990 560SEC euro
35 Posts
What is it about the 560's that come from Japan, they seem to have the MB flag holder on the passenger's fender. My '90 SEC euro came with the same flag holder, and per the Seller it had been a Japanese ambassador's car at one point. Do you know any of the history behind yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,015 Posts
Grab a spare 8-pin EZL or two. It’ll take time and patience to find one reasonably priced but good insurance for a long term owner.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No idea on the car's previous owners, but these flag poles were used on the passenger side simply as a visual indicator to help the driver maneuver a large car such as the 126 through confined spaces that are very common in Japan. I guess it helped as there are no scratches on that bumper corner.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts