Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've had my C36 for nearly a year now. 6 months ago it suddenly suffered a problem which resulted in a lack of power, acceleration and gave out a rumbling noise. The garage replaced 3 coil packs and the problem seemed to be solved...until now. The same problems again but this time more so. Could it be the coil packs again, or was the primary cause not found? Your help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mr Singh[:(]

·
Registered
2008 BMW 335i, 1995 C36 AMG, 2002 SLK 320, 2006 Accord
26 Posts
Mine had the same symptoms, cured by replacing the infamous wiring harness. I don't think ...

Mine had the same symptoms, cured by replacing the infamous wiring harness. I don't think the coil packs will fail again after only 6 months

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I'll get on the phone and tell the garage! Their diagnostics don't show anything.

Regards,
Mr Singh.

·
Registered
C 36 AMG
6 Posts
I recently am dealing with the same problem. My car was bogging at high speeds and at a s...

I recently am dealing with the same problem. My car was bogging at high speeds and at a stop, the engine was idling very rough almost stalling. The dealer replaced the spark plugs and I hope it's solved. I have heard that it could be many things. How much is the ECu wiring harness? let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
E55 AMG 2004 SILVER ALL OPTIONS + AMG LSD + more mods to come
42 Posts
I suffered the same problem on my C36, it was the MAS sensor, get this checked before sp...

I suffered the same problem on my C36, it was the MAS sensor, get this checked before spending any money on oter bits as this is the most common fault for these[:)]

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
getting it checked out

Hi,

the first time i had this problem they also changed the spark plugs - but it only made a little bit of a difference. i'm going to the local Merc dealer on monday so i'll let you guys know how it went.

Seeya.

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
visit to the garage

Easy Guys,
went to the Merc dealer for a quick diagnostics. Definite faulty part in ignition area...problem 107.
Got to do further diagnostics to find out what problem 107 is. I'll keep you posted.
[:(!]

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firm kick in the nuts

Hey guys,

the Merc dealer did further diagnostics and they said that I needed a new ECU! Gonna cost me £1500!!!(Firm kick in the nuts). I think I'll get a second opinion. Any thoughts?

Regards,
MR Singh.

·
Registered
C36 C43
98 Posts
Re: Firm kick in the nuts

Hey guys,

the Merc dealer did further diagnostics and they said that I needed a new ECU! Gonna cost me £1500!!!(Firm kick in the nuts). I think I'll get a second opinion. Any thoughts?

Regards,
MR Singh.

HEY

I am having the same exact problem right now. My engine boggs down at high speeds and almost dies when at idle. So its either the ECU or wiring harness??

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
Re: Re: Firm kick in the nuts

Hey guys,

Regards,
MR Singh.

HEY

I am having the same exact problem right now. My engine boggs down at high speeds and almost dies when at idle. So its either the ECU or wiring harness??

JNolte

I would try to have your MAF check and/or replace.
It's only going to cost you $250 ..

If it doesn't fix your problem then it is likely the iginition, and if that not it, then it is likely the ECU...

Don't go replace the ECU, when you don't know if it is the culprit yet. ECU is not cheap that's for sure ;)

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
second opinion

Hey Guys,

I'm getting a second opinion on Friday so just hold on before going out and spending big dollars on an ECU.

Regards,
Mr Singh

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Second opinion

Hey Guys,

had the second check up today. ECU and coil packs. They said that in this particular model if the coil packs go then it can cause the ECU to bugger up as well. Going to get the coil pack set and ECU fitted.

Hopefully this should fix it!

Regards,
Mr Singh
[:0]

·
Registered
1996 C36
14 Posts
Suppressors guys, suppressors - its not the MAF or the plugs. I went through it too. The d...

Suppressors guys, suppressors - its not the MAF or the plugs or the ECU for $1500. I went through it too when my car ran like crap, stalled like a dead cyl & would go away upon restart. One indie shop said" yep buddy sorry to tell you youll need a new computer" what ever! The dealer screwed me around twice by replacing the MAF & plugs - did not fix! Finally an indie shop fixed it by replacing the suppresors - there are 3 of them under the coil packs. He said - I see it all the time on 202's. Why wouldnt the stealership not know that?? $$$$ maybee....?? The suppresors are know to wear out as often as the plugs do! Some shops do them every time plugs are done since they have to come out anyway? Try that - it made my car run fine after that! Oh yhea,I've been told wires never wear out on non-resistor ignition MB's - only the suppresors, dont let a shop fool you into buying wires too - they are xpensive & un-needed.

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she's running like a dream

Hi,

had the ECU, coil packs (suppressors included) replaced and the car runs like a dream once again.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Mr Singh

·
Registered
c36 amg
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
she's running like a dream

Hi,

had the ECU, coil packs (suppressors included) replaced and the car runs like a dream once again.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Mr Singh
[:D]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts