Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
mbnz230 said:
i still havn't purchased the resistors yet, the lights work but the light in the cluster is still on... i just did some calculation on http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp for a 12 volt car battery and 5 watt bulb the resistance is about 28.8 ohms... so should i just buy two 28.8 ohms 5w resistor?

read the posts, not just glance at them, no one disagreed with anyone, 100, 200 and 33 ohms were numbers mentioned for explanation purposes.

get your LED bulb and measure the resistance of it, then use the value to solve the equation i listed in my last post, this will give you the correct value for each side.

keep in mind, we cannot give a specific value as the resistance (and hence wattage) can be different LED bulbs

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Cabriolet
253 Posts
If I had a decade box of resisters I could just search for the amounts of ohms that make the dash light go out. I just put in the LED rear tail lights, but will also want to install more LED lights.

At least I didn't have this trouble with my Bentley, it is dumb compared to MB.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Cabriolet
253 Posts
Here is the finished LEDs

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Cabriolet
253 Posts
Here is the 19 inch MB wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I think those wheels look pretty good on the car, do you have any side profile pictures? Please.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
Looking very smooth indeed!

I'd be keen to see a side on view as well if you have one available :)

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Cabriolet
253 Posts
Funny no pics of the entire side of the car, but here is one of the back tire.

Soon I will get the rims chromed. Actually just exchanged with already chromed ones are available in LA.

Below is my next wheel, the S600 is nice, but I got to have it custom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,224 Posts
breastroker said:
Funny no pics of the entire side of the car, but here is one of the back tire.

Soon I will get the rims chromed. Actually just exchanged with already chromed ones are available in LA.

Below is my next wheel, the S600 is nice, but I got to have it custom.
wow, you're car really looks stunning. :) Chromed Wheels will look really awesome. The only concern with chrome is that if the people who chrome them do not do a good job, the rims could start to peel. Although, if they do, they would probably start peeling 7-10 years after they have been chromed, depending on the way they were treated (exposed to acids from car washes, acid rain, etc.)

I am really excited to see the modifications you are doing to your car. They really look great. The wheel is pretty cool, but you've got to make sure you get a Parchment/Tan Wood/Leather Steering Wheel. Hopefully Gray is not the only color they are avalible in.

You should probably keep the airbag the same, as the 98/99 S600 Airbags are the most highly sought after W140 airbags, because of the black Mercedes-Benz emblem on the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
1996_S500 said:
wow, you're car really looks stunning. :) Chromed Wheels will look really awesome. The only concern with chrome is that if the people who chrome them do not do a good job, the rims could start to peel. Although, if they do, they would probably start peeling 7-10 years after they have been chromed, depending on the way they were treated (exposed to acids from car washes, acid rain, etc.)

I am really excited to see the modifications you are doing to your car. They really look great. The wheel is pretty cool, but you've got to make sure you get a Parchment/Tan Wood/Leather Steering Wheel. Hopefully Gray is not the only color they are avalible in.

You should probably keep the airbag the same, as the 98/99 S600 Airbags are the most highly sought after W140 airbags, because of the black Mercedes-Benz emblem on the steering wheel.
You mean there are other types of airbag that don't have the mercedes logo on them? I thought that was the base standard?

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Cabriolet
253 Posts
I had to go outside and look to see about the black star you are talking about. I am so used to the chrome star on my other MB.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,224 Posts
Haku said:
You mean there are other types of airbag that don't have the mercedes logo on them? I thought that was the base standard?
Well, they all had Mercedes-Benz logos on them, but they were in different forms.

Well, none of us are 100% sure how many different wheels there were for the W140, but this is what information we have compiled over the past few years. (Some information/pictures taken from: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w1...-98-s500-2.html?highlight=airbags#post2280496)

There were at least four types of center steering stars equipped on the W140:

1 - The regular star that most W140's have. Apparently, it appeared to be equipped on all W140s from beginning of production in 1991 up to the end of the W140's production in late 98/early 99.
Picture:

2 - Black Plastic Star. Only installed on early production/testing model W140's without airbags.
Picture:

3 - Chrome Plastic Star. Apparently only avalible from 1997-up W140 models. Never marketed to the U.S., but marketed in other international markets (depending on the country).
Picture:

4 - Black Plastic Star. Similar to the one fitted to early production non-airbag W140's, however, this one had an airbag
(Worldwide - Only certain late 1998 and 1999 Model Year)
(U.S. - 1998 and 1999 S600s & 1999 S500 Grand Edition)
Picture:

What we are not sure about is if Type 1 was used until end of production or not for certain markets. The steering wheels looked a lot alike, but could have been changed slightly along the way.

For the U.S. Market:
Type 1 is common.
Type 2 was not offered.
Type 3 is never seen (unless installed aftermarket).
Type 4 is rare, but seen (only on the 1999 S500 Grand Edition and 1998 S600 and 1999 S600).

For International Markets:
Type 1 is common.
Type 2 was not offered.
Type 3 is seen (depending on your country).
Type 4 is rarer than Type 1 but it is seen (usually on late model S500's and S600's).

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Haku said:
Awesome post - thanks for the info!
No problem. :) A lot of credit goes to S500L. I just made a revised version with pictures. Hopefully we will eventually understand the mystery of W140 steering wheels, and how many there really were. :D

·
3phase-4pole
4,971 Posts
its funny, I read LED lights and end up reading about airbags

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Back on topic - although the rest is very interesting...

I've fitted my LED tail lights and got them working:)
Will post pictures when the weather fines up a bit.
I had to convert the fog light LEDs from the left to the right side - which wasn't too bad if you're on the handy side. The next problem was the dash light came on even though the LED light set I purchased (from eBay) has the black boxes attached to stop this.
In the end it was one of the connectors which plugs into the stock bulb holder had the wrong polarity, which in turn blew fuse 9 under the hood!
So after cutting the wires to the suspect connector, reversing the polarity so the + went to the centre and replacing fuse 9 - LED taillights!

For anyone considering doing the change - my advice is to fully check the lights you buy as soon as you get them!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
SimonClaringbold said:
Back on topic - although the rest is very interesting...

I've fitted my LED tail lights and got them working:)
Will post pictures when the weather fines up a bit.
I had to convert the fog light LEDs from the left to the right side - which wasn't too bad if you're on the handy side. The next problem was the dash light came on even though the LED light set I purchased (from eBay) has the black boxes attached to stop this.
In the end it was one of the connectors which plugs into the stock bulb holder had the wrong polarity, which in turn blew fuse 9 under the hood!
So after cutting the wires to the suspect connector, reversing the polarity so the + went to the centre and replacing fuse 9 - LED taillights!

For anyone considering doing the change - my advice is to fully check the lights you buy as soon as you get them!
seems like a somewhat complicated procedure, but is definitely worth it. LED's on a W140 is just so cool. :) Although, I don't like how the reverse lights still use bulb sockets. If only they made everything LED.

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Yes, I agree. You still have bulbs for the indicators and reversing lights, but all the red lights are LEDs.
Maybe the next gen LED replacement lights will have all LED's and no bulbs.
I was thinking of trying to get a bulb base with an array of LEDs where the bulb usually is, and use these in place of the indicator and reverse standard bulbs.
Anyone seen this sort of thing?

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
SimonClaringbold said:
Yes, I agree. You still have bulbs for the indicators and reversing lights, but all the red lights are LEDs.
Maybe the next gen LED replacement lights will have all LED's and no bulbs.
I was thinking of trying to get a bulb base with an array of LEDs where the bulb usually is, and use these in place of the indicator and reverse standard bulbs.
Anyone seen this sort of thing?
You could make your own, kinda like those interior bulbs they have the same connectors, try taking a burnt out bulb taking it apart and wiring in a bunch of LED's

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Cabriolet
253 Posts
There are two different approaches no one has discussed about clearing the Exterior Bulb Out light due to LED tail lights.

The most elegant would be to find the computer that measures this and change it. Obviously MB did not add resistors when they went to LEDs. They changed the current setting in a computer.

I have heard horror stories about the large 20-30 watt resistors required to take the place of the lower bulb current use. thins like melting plastic etc.

Why not just get some bulb holders and install the original bulbs behind the tail lights but inside the rear side covers. Who cares if there is a light on in the trunk area? Just wire the original bulbs in parallel, the current should be nearly the same. So instead of 5 watts a bulb and LED will be 5.5 watts.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts