Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my indicator bulbs with LED type bulbs, the lights flashes faster than normal does it means the bulbs are faulty ? or is there a fault with my indicator ? [:)][:)][:)][:)]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some flasher circuits rely on the current through the bulbs to dictate the flashing speed.

Hence, if a bulb fails, flashing speed increases.

In your case LED's use much less current than conventional bulbs which may be responsible for the flashing speed being too fast.

Either you need a ballast resistor to make up the current or you will have to revert to the original bulbs.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch, you are a gentleman and a bloke. This ballast resistor thingy is it a DIY stuff ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I doubt if anyone sells them which would mean it would be a DIY thing.

The only place which might sell them are the folks who sold you the LED lights (or someone else who sells LED lights).

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
try here

http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=LED+Replacement+Bulbs&productid=109633&producttype=10

·
Registered
1982 300TD
163 Posts
You can get current limiting resistors here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
which will fix your problem.

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
99 ML430
50 Posts
Also try Jerry at BlankBlankBlank.com he sells the resistors and a very nice rear third brakelight(L.E.D.) module to fit right in the housing.

Barry

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
Doesn't this mean that one will be consuming the same power by heating the resistor and thus defeat the purpose of the LED bulb?

marcelc - 3/10/2005 7:57 AM

In your case LED's use much less current than conventional bulbs which may be responsible for the flashing speed being too fast.

Either you need a ballast resistor to make up the current or you will have to revert to the original bulbs.

·
Registered
497 Posts
DelJ - 3/14/2005 4:08 AM

Doesn't this mean that one will be consuming the same power by heating the resistor and thus defeat the purpose of the LED bulb?

Yes, if your purpose was to save current, however, LED's have other advantages:
LED's last more or less for ever, no more changing bulbs, no more being stopped by police advising you your rear light has just failed.
LED's light faster which is an advantage for brake lights.
LED's are subjectively more attractive.

I personally would not 'upgrade' to LED's for anything else other than the brake lights because I like the fact that incandescent bulbs light sideways as well as forward or backwards, meaning the vehicle is better illuminated from the side (good at junctions).

·
Registered
497 Posts
DelJ - 3/14/2005 4:08 AM

Yes, if your purpose was to save current, however, LED's have other advantages:
LED's last more or less for ever, no more changing bulbs, no more being stopped by police advising you your rear light has just failed.
LED's light faster which is an advantage for brake lights.
LED's are subjectively more attractive.

I personally would not 'upgrade' to LED's for anything else other than the brake lights because I like the fact that incandescent bulbs light sideways as well as forward or backwards, meaning the vehicle is better illuminated from the side (good at junctions).

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Most "off the shelf" LED arrays are a lot dimmer than their incandescant counterparts. However, I have seen many home made arrays using High-Flux LEDs (Luxeon, Spider LEDs) that do not use optics or are not prefocused like 5mm LED's so they give a light dispersion like incandescants but are clearer and brighter.

·
Registered
497 Posts
chia - 3/14/2005 1:00 PM

Most "off the shelf" LED arrays are a lot dimmer than their incandescant counterparts. However, I have seen many home made arrays using High-Flux LEDs (Luxeon, Spider LEDs) that do not use optics or are not prefocused like 5mm LED's so they give a light dispersion like incandescants but are clearer and brighter.
It is true that unfocussed LED's, properly mounted get over the disadvantages I mentioned, but that really means new light assemblies in order to realise the benefits; the future is undoubtedly LED. However, upgrading from incandescent bulbs to LED in the same light assembly is not so successful.

I made my own 3rd brake light from 55 Luxeon Superflux LED's and am very satisfied with it, it easily equals a new incandescent light in light output (subjectively measured), but check out how many ML 3rd brake lights go dim with age.

LED's neither need replacement nor do they deteriorate.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I think what you need is a bypass resistor which will increase, not limit, electrical current so as to mimic the current draw of a conventional bulb.

DelJ

eolon - 3/10/2005 12:05 PM

You can get current limiting resistors here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
which will fix your problem.

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Yup. You need to wire in the resistor in paralell to increase the current draw to match the draw on the original bulb. The current limiting resistors are there to protect the LED's themselves from overheating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts