Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I got pulled over an was given a ticket for my tint. I drive an 08 c350 iridium silver. I have 20% on all my windows besides the windshield. He told me it was a 15 dollar fix a ticket?

What does that mean? I dont understand and he couldnt give me a good explenation. Do I really have to get my windows re-tinted? I just got them done a month ago!?

Any suggestions? I live in LA btw...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I was told last December that the CA fine was $125. The person that received the ticket was at the tint shop when I was doing my ML. His Pontiac had 20% tint on the front side windows. Sounds like 20% on the fronts attracts law enforcement attention.

I think he planned to just pay the ticket and forget about it. His other choice was to pay $25 to have the tint removed. Then go to police station and have fix-it ticket signed off. Then pay $90 to have fronts re-tinted with 35% and hope the cops don't bug him again.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
hope you got a cop buddy to sign off on it..... then its just $15 for processing fees......
Thanks for the clarification on the $15 fee, I wasn't sure how that worked.

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
And I'm one of those who is adamantly opposed to this business of adding tint to the front windows - PERIOD.

I'm a jogger - I want to see you seeing me through that side window - I can't count the number of times I've been nearly run over by some clown looking the wrong way at an intersection, and trying to drive over me in the crosswalk while making a turn. What saves me in those situations is being able to see which way the driver is looking, and react accordingly.

You can argue till you're blue about how "cool" this is - I'll never be convinced.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,511 Posts
He's a jogger and I'm a cyclist with the same point of view.
Please don't tint the front windows. The tint laws are there to protect the police from the bad guys who might be packing.
As a cyclist, eye contact can save your life. We're coming too quickly to stop on a dime and many drivers don't realize that. They turn out anyway.
If we were a semi-trailer they'd never turn out, but so often cyclists don't count. If eye contact is made with us, they wait for us to zip past.
Save a jogger or a cyclist and rethink your front window tints.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Or stop at intersections, look, and generally be careful while jogging/biking. You know, like you were likely taught as a child? Bikes are smaller and hard to see even without any tints. Blowing through an intersection on a bike is moronic, you can stop - you can see the intersection ;). There are good and bad places to ride bikes as well... There is a road near where I live that is very narrow, no shoulder, and quite twisty. Yes, some idiots bike it and pretty much risk their lives on the chance that a truck won't round a curve and not see them in time.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Last night I got pulled over an was given a ticket for my tint. I drive an 08 c350 iridium silver. I have 20% on all my windows besides the windshield. He told me it was a 15 dollar fix a ticket?

What does that mean? I dont understand and he couldnt give me a good explenation. Do I really have to get my windows re-tinted? I just got them done a month ago!?

Any suggestions? I live in LA btw...

Thanks
Well yea, you do have to fix it! It's illegal! 70% is the max for the two front windows in CA. You should have checked the laws BEFORE you decided to violate them.

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
Or stop at intersections, look, and generally be careful while jogging/biking. You know, like you were likely taught as a child? Bikes are smaller and hard to see even without any tints. Blowing through an intersection on a bike is moronic, you can stop - you can see the intersection ;). There are good and bad places to ride bikes as well... There is a road near where I live that is very narrow, no shoulder, and quite twisty. Yes, some idiots bike it and pretty much risk their lives on the chance that a truck won't round a curve and not see them in time.
This is, unfortunately, just the attitude that I've come to expect from the minority who care about their desires and needs above everyone else.

When I run, my eyes are constantly moving to check traffic; I cross legally. I avoid running on the street. I stick to the sidewalk or other paths. The problem most often occurs when people are making right turns AGAINST a red light [with me legally in the crosswalk], or coming from a driveway and looking only one way before crossing the sidewalk. IF I CAN SEE YOU, I CAN REACT; IF I CAN'T, I CAN'T. It's that simple.

I learned "as a child" to respect other people, by the way. Did you?

And yes, the tinting laws are mostly about police and others being able to see what the driver is doing - it is beyond me why this causes even the slightest controversy.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Front window tint will..

'Get Attention' from LA cops, and they will 'check you out', and if you get stopped you will pay the ' LA driving tax '.
Just pay it and move on.

OBTW I have had a Limo tint ( 0 winshield, 70 fr side, BO all rear) for years and in ca cops are here to protect and serve not make money. To date I have had no problem while in ca. However, when I travel I get stopped allot.
In LA, I don't do anything to get their attention.

Enjoy
B

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Whatever, I tint in moderation, and I don't have problems with the cops in California.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts