Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many G owners do we have in the Los Angeles area? I am contemplating about starting a G-Stammtisch in LA. Don't live there anymore, but I miss it and I'm looking for an excuse to travel there.
Even though the German tradition of a Stammtisch is to meet in a Gasthaus we could meet at someone's house.

Any thoughts?

Harald

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
Great idea. The CEO of UPS lives down the street, and is the chapter Prez of the local Rolls Royce club. He sometimes hosts events at his house, and the street is filled with all the pomp and circumstance attendant to a Rolls Royce meet. We could crash it . . . [8D]

Seriously though, there are a few spots in town that are popular for car enthusiast events - the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake, for example, where it's rumored the notion of the car-hop was born. Or Ed deBevic's on restaurant row, a 50's style diner in the heart of Beverly Hills. Or, if we want to keep the menu topical, there is Knoll's Black Forest Inn on Wilshire in Santa Monica, or the Red Lion Inn in Glendale, both German restaurants.

Given some thought, I'm sure we could come up with a location with a decently palatable fare. Or how about a cookout at Zuma beach - might also be fun, or a Kafe Klatch at one of the more obscure coffee houses. Just some ideas off the top of my head at 1 a.m.

Does this mean you finally got your G500 registered?

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my G500 registered? What's the rush?

Paid for it in November 2003
it arrived in early March 2004
was impounded by customs because MBUSA "forgot" to clear customs
I drove it home in May
June to November I was too busy
in December we discovered that paperwork was missing for proper registration
April 2005 - and I am still waiting for MBUSA to produce the papers.

Luckily no cop raises an eyebrow when your car is without plates.

Harald

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
What's a Stammtish? And which G is it that's not registered? It's not the black one for sale on your website?

I don't live in LA, but would not mind the drive, pending advance notice is given.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, is the one on my web site.

The German word Stammtisch literally means a table at a Gasthaus (pub) reserved for regular patrons, kinda like the barstools reserved for Norm & Cliff on Cheers.

By now it is not used quite so lierally any more - in Germany when enthusiast get together they call it often a Stammtisch. Very common among G owners to start a Stammtisch first which then might evolve into a club - but established clubs also may have a Stammtisch (a group of the most active members meeting regularely).
See http://www.g-pro.de/Clubs/clubs.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=g+stammtisch&btnG=Google+Search

Harald

·
Registered
573 Posts
Harald,

Though I won't be able to attend, I'll be more than happy to make the "schild" to hang over the table. It will have to be a portable sign until a permanent table at a regular meeting place is found.

I'm heading over to Germany next week and I'm sure I'll see my fair share of Stammtisch signs in the local establishments. It's fun to just sit and watch the people chat and have a nice time. Looking forward to the good food and big Kulmbacher Bier too. [:D]

-Sean P.

·
Registered
'03 G 500, '06 Cayman S
95 Posts
I live in the L.A. area...Long Beach basically. I would be interested in attending.
There is a place in Anaheim called the Phoenix Club. It was established by the original German residents of Anaheim. The original building burned and was rebuilt. Hence, the Phoenix Club. Several years ago Anaheim purchased the site for the construction of Anaheim Pond (NHL Ducks). The Club was offered alot of money to relocated to a larger and nicer building in Anaheim. It is still a very Germany Club with all the proper decor and beer. They host events, but you may not need to be a member to patronize the restaurant and bars.
This might be a good place.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Harald, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I think you should start this up and you should be the president of this Stammtisch. When you've got all the details figured out, let us know in advance.

Cheers! [:)]

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
short notice - I apologize

How about an improv first meet on Friday - yes, this Friday - in LA. Art's Deli on Ventura Blvd. Late afternoon. Exact time tba.

let me know.

Harald

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RE: short notice - I apologize

I think it will be around 6pm - send me your phone number and I'll call you from down the road to fine tune the time. I'll be driving from Sacramento to LA during the day.

Harald

1 - 13 of 13 Posts