Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 Cabriolet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

has anyone put these on their W124? i have an '87 260E with badly worn out front struts.

had decided on the Bilstein HDs, but i can get a full set of front and rears of the KYBs for just over $200.

i know the Bilsteins are the best, but just how good/bad are the KYBs? i do almost all city driving in LA traffic so not hitting the twisties much (or ever!)

probably going to put the Vogtland lowering springs on the car when i do the strut replacement as well.

thanks in advance for all replies.

-d

·
Registered
8 Posts
Roads in LA is pretty bad unless on Freeway (just OK but not great). I don't know why are you looking for Heavy Duty shock. It's stiff so that it hurts other suspension parts. I use standard.

I used to use KYB (OEM for Toyota), it's OK for 2 year but cannot compare with BS. KONI is a good one if you like stiff but it could cost you some bucks.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Cabriolet
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, the streets in LA are in horrible shape, it's a joke, really.

i was leaning toward the Bilstein HDs as they are the middle of the line as far as stiffness - in between the Comfort and Sport Bilsteins, and as they have been recommended to me by several shops.

had Konis on my 944 they were great but way too stiff for this application.

never used the KYBs before so just wondered what kind of good or bad experience anyone here has had with with those.

thanks!

-d

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
If you can not afford the Bilsteins then simply buy some BOGE/SACHS struts. They are affordable and were O.E. on many W124's KYB's are fine if you drive a toyota or nissan...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts