Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used, or heard about the KONI shock absorbers for our w126s. They are supposed to be fully adjustable which makes them exactly what I am looking for. Last time I looked though, they were 100usd per shock which is kinda expensive, but then I wouldn't have to choose between Blistein HD and comfort shocks.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
i'm using Koni adjustable shocks with eibach springs in my 500SEC. i've had them since 1998. no problems.

there is a zero setting (which i guess is like a standard shock setting) then you can adjust 3 settings softer or stiffer. there is a key supplied which you use to rotate (click) the top ring. the newest generation of the design i heard is easier to use. i don't remember what my setting is.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I haven't been able to find any adjustable Koni's for our cars.. Where did you get yours?

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
They have them for our cars, but not the ones that can be adjusted from the top. You have to lift up the car, and take off the wheel.

I test drove an SEC with these shocks, and the handling was awesome.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
do you know if there were the red or yellow buggers?

Jonathan

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
it doesn't look like Koni makes adjustable shocks for the W126 anymore [:(]

mine are red which is the color they use now for their non-adjustable shocks (yellow for adjustable). i may still have the box and can get you a part number in case someone has an old set lying around in a warehouse somewhere.

eddie is right, they are not top adjustable.

here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
828 Posts
I would buy them in a heart beat!

Does anyone have ANY clue of where I could pick up a set?

Engle

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Same here, I'd Love to get a set of those on my Coupe..!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
In my mind Koni's have always been the best consumer shock on the market. There is no Bilstein Sport made for the 126 chassis.. It would be Sweet to have the adjustability right there at your finger tips[:D]

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, but it is a secret, nobody can get the new ones before me, therfore, I aint telling!!![:D]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Dude, that's just wrong....

Jonathan

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
JR I purchased a set of Koni's shipped from California for my 1988 SEC in October, at that time there was only 2 sets in their wharehouse. My local MB dealer wanted $400.00 each for stock MBs plus taxes and $160.00 to install, so I went shopping the best thing I did, the ride is smooth and tight. seems that the forum is giving you a rough time where to get them, tell you what e-mail me and I will give you the part #s and you can try your local parts supplier to see if they are still available.

[email protected]

MBGary PS. I posted my 2 MBs on the Gallery they are at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I found the Koni adjustable shocks for 126 coupes. They didn't list 126 sedans, at the koni website. The rears specifically exclude SEC's with adjustable suspensions. Since my 85 didn't have that suspension, they'd work for me. Pricing is $207.00 per pair.

Part numbers are

fronts - 26 1157

rears - 30 1020

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just contact Koni, through their website, www.konina.com Call the customer service number and tell them you need shocks for a w126. They have the shocks available for ALL w126s, except the 560s with self leveling suspension(they may or may not have these, i didn't ask.) Just ask them for a distributor in your area, for ordering. I found out today that TireRack is a distributor, so you can just buy them through them. I wanted to verify that the shocks were still available before I got yall's hopes up. The company from whom I will be purchasing mine doesn't have any in stock but can get some from Koni in 4-5 business days. Price is 103.00 usd per shock. Part numbers for w126 81-91 w/o self leveling are as follows. Front 26 1157, Rear 30 1020. They list for 138.00 usd from Koni.

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
I found the listing for the shocks for the 126 sedans at:

http://www.koni-na.com/display.cfm?mt_id=1&mod_id=0&mak_id=26&submit=Continue

on the Koni North America site.

Apparently the coupes are listed as "C126" and the sedans as "W126" - and they're in separate sections of this page. I did a search for "w126" to find the sedans - and I could not find the coupes until I did a search for just "126". Not the best layout, in my opinion - especially when the only dropdown is for make. If I wrote a page like that my boss would fire me on the spot.

-Robert

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I was hoping it would be possible to get a set w/ the adjusters on top.. I'd love to be able to pop the hood and dial 'em up..!

Jonathan

·
Registered
262 Posts
Schmohey - 2/10/2005 5:27 PM

Are they better than the Bilstein HD / Sports shock?
I just installed Koni (Yellow) Adjustable shocks on my E W210 and they are excellent! feels like a BMW now. Stiffer but not harsh, i chose the middle setting.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
amgbnz - 2/10/2005 10:38 AM

it doesn't look like Koni makes adjustable shocks for the W126 anymore [:(]
sorry guys my mistake. i checked the www.koni.com site and they don't have a part number listed for the W126/C126 anymore, so i concluded that they were no longer made.

excellent that you can still get them.

didn't mean to lead anyone astray.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts