Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am currently looking for a 04-05 G500. I would appreciate if someone can tell me where I can find info on what to watch for when I am buying the truck. I did a few searches here, but can't find much. I know that the Gs don't have a lot of issues, but still would like to know of any common problems that I can check for.

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

Ivo

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
You are correct in saying there are no/small issues with this model. Oil leaks from the camshaft covers at the rear of the engine is about the only common problem I have seen.

All round it seems to be a good model, but it's still early days yet:thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I am looking for my new G, I see in almost every carfax I run that the truck has had door trim panel and latch replaced or glove box replaced. The window regulators are also a commonly replaced items. Any idea why?

Also, can someone please tell me what the Grand editions is? The only difference I see is color and badges.

I have a carfax account until 6/30 so if anyone needs reports, e-mail me your vin at [email protected] with "carfax please" in the title:)

·
Registered
W463 G500
128 Posts
i just bought an 04 last year. def saw all the same issues when searching as well. Its better to have seen door latch, window regs, and glove boxes because they tend to squeak ALOT. Better than seeing dashboard/electrical/engine issues. THis will most likely mean that the car will sqeak less... but most prob will occur again - its the nature of the beast.

From what i remember about the Grand Edition - Rumor of the G being discontinued made them "specialize" this year with badges? im sure you can do a search on that if im wrong.

Also if buying from a dealer ask for their star report. It might have some service issues thats not listed on carfax.

Hope this helps
Andy

·
Registered
old beat up rust bucket but i love her
147 Posts
As I am looking for my new G, I see in almost every carfax I run that the truck has had door trim panel and latch replaced or glove box replaced. The window regulators are also a commonly replaced items. Any idea why?

Also, can someone please tell me what the Grand editions is? The only difference I see is color and badges.

I have a carfax account until 6/30 so if anyone needs reports, e-mail me your vin at [email protected] with "carfax please" in the title:)
thx 4 the CF Ivo

·
Registered
04' G500
140 Posts
Complete service records, reciepts, etc. are much more important than a carfax. While carfax is an OK guideline I never trust the information.

History of the vehicle and a CPO were what I was looking for. I even borrowed a paint meter and checked every panel, fender, hood, etc. before I bought mine.

When I was looking it seems like used G's were like used Porsches. Either they were owned and maintained by enthusiats and are a safe bet or are were totally thrashed by someone who simply bought it, drove it, and dumped it.

Mine didn't have any of the previously mentioned issues prior, but service records did indicate a power steering unit replaced under warranty. IIRC the part alone was $2,400.

·
Registered
03SL55AMG,2008 F430spider
215 Posts
The problem with the G is
electrical issues, the body rust isues etc...electrical issues are ck engine light problem ,windows regulator,seat switch regulators,.rust is a real problem the hinges are always rusty,the running board is always collecting road salt during winter,even if you wash regulary,the spare tire lock collects road salt and sand and if you dont keep it clean frequenlly you end up with a frozen lock and end up replacing.parts are expensive.always get the service records.But don't get me wrong it is a love /hate relationship with the G ..either you love th G or you hate it there is no in between

1 - 10 of 10 Posts