Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing what you know about the R now, would you still buy it?

ML320 owner...no panic not selling or trding in my truck for the R but am thinking about purchasing one for my wife in a year or two when the "leases" come in...

Comments & warnings appreciated

thanks

aa

·
Registered
1985 280GE, 1995 E320 Wagon, 2000 e320 and 2006R350
18 Posts
we have had our R350 for 15 months and are still completely thrilled with the car. It is by far the coolest car we have ever owned. We own four MB cars now and have owned BMW products too. Love it totally. I don't feel like we have had any problems that have in any way spoiled the experience. Buy it.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2007 R350
284 Posts
Had ours about 8 months now and still love it. Sometimes wish I'd the 500 but the 350 is good enough 99% of the time.
Do get the xenons as they are by far the best lights I've ever seen and the cornering function is great going through woodland. The pan roof really brightens the interior and the COMAND unit screen in the R-class is much brighter and clearer than our SL. The Harmon-Kardon upgrade is also well worth it - much better than the crap Bose in the SL.
Quite a big car but after a while you'll adjust - Oh yes, get parktronic and reversing camera!
You'll definitely want them!

·
Registered
2000 ML320
24 Posts
absolutely

Love my R 350 (agree on the lights - should have gotten the bixenons)

Wondering if we can replace my wife's Volvo xcountry in a few years with a used one. Need the 4wd and the space. My wife however likes to keep her cars until they die so it might be a lot longer.

·
Registered
2008 S63 with 22's - 03 S500 with 20's- 07 R Class with 22's - 2011 GL 350 BT with 22's
48 Posts
I would also add the Rear seat monitors and DVD for the kids if you have them They are great and integrated really well. Second the idea about the Xenon. Every benz i have owned had them and our slow sales guy missed it on this car and I did not realize it till about two days in when I drove at night. Huge disappointment with the halogens. People stop us all the time and ask what is that thing and that is the coolest wagon we have ever seen. Ours is black on black with black 22" wheels and lowered with Brabus kit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great Vehicle

I love the way it drives and feels on the road. It is an MB period

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Revisiting this topic -would you still buy the R?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2007 R63 AMG; 2005 E320 Wagon
18 Posts
I've only had mine for a few months. I've had an E320 CDI wagon for several years that I really like, but wanted something a little newer with less mileage (actually kilometers for me). I sometimes haul people and sometimes haul materials. When I did my research, I discovered the R Class (more seating and more storage than the E Class wagon). I had planned to get an R500, then I saw Doug DeMuro's video on the R63, followed by Legit Street Cars R63 video, followed by "The Unicorn of my destruction" thread on grassroots motorsports. I assumed that an AMG would be way beyond my budget, but just for fun, I did a search, and found that cheaper R63s here in Europe were priced about the same as R500s. I spent over a year searching for one I could afford and brought it home in November 2019. Yes, I would do it again.

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight and experiences!

Although the model has been discontinued, i am still very much leaning on getting one.
After 20yrs, we had to give up our ML. Alot of things started to fail and i just was not able to keep up with them.

Hoping for more comments -Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2007 R63 AMG; 2005 E320 Wagon
18 Posts
If you just need a minivan to haul people, there are other options that will hold more people, but not with the same style and comfort. If you just need rear seats that fold and give a large flat surface for hauling stuff, there are other station wagons, but to my knowledge, none have as much space. But if you sometimes need a minivan for people, and other times need a large station wagon to haul stuff, this is nothing that will do this as well as the R Class. Because it is a heavy car, I would encourage you to go with either the R500 or the R63 (or an R550 if you can find one - they were never sold new in the U.S., but some have been brought in used from Canada).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts