Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 300 TE 24v SportLine -91 W124
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was the first winter with this car.
A 300TE 24v -91.

I have had a peculiar engine behavior that has come on and off with missing fires below 3000 r/m during load and acceleration. No fault by just standing still and gas.
Now it's -20 degrees Celsius and the car runs just swell!:confused:.

But my major concern was "will this car cope the winter here in Sweden?".
This morning it was -22 Celsius and the clutch and gear changer was like syrup!:(
It started up without any problem though!:D
Started it up later going from work and stopped later on a gas station near where I live and popped the hood to check the level on the cooling fluid. It was OK.
Walked in to the gas station and bought some Swedish snuff and went out to go home.... or so I thought.:mad:
There was NOTHING! Ok, the engine turned but I had not even a miss fire.:crybaby2:
Went back to the station and got help to jump start from their rental car.
Nothing!

What the heck could have happened by just opening the hood and opening the cap on the cooling "can"??

From what I have come to conclude there must be a fault in the ignition part.

Not very cool but extremely cold to fault find in this weather.:(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I went back to the gas station and bought a new battery that set me back about 1400 sek (about 150 euro).
Put it in and the car started so quick that it almost scared me.

Hmmm.... the only difference from yesterday is that the car was left during the night in -25 degrees Celsius.

What the....:confused:

Starting to suspect the coil. But normally, electronics usually show their faults when cold.... I don't know...:rolleyes:

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,828 Posts
I seem to remember that the condition of your coil was discussed in some of your past post. Swap the coil from your TE and see if the condition persist. A miss fire, particularly when under a load, is almost always an electrical issue.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Registered
1988 M-BENZ 300E | 1991 FORD PROBE GT TURBO | 2003 FORD EXPLORER 4x4
684 Posts
Those are new. As are the cables.;)
Then coil. Disconnect the output and run a wire from it to about 1cm from ground and have someone crank the engine, if the spark is blue it's probably ok, if it's gold it's weak. Mine is gold, I'm thinking about getting a new coil in a month or so but noticed it's a simple two wire hook up so I'm wondering if I can safely install a fancy aftermarket one instead of OEM.

Something like Blaster 2 Coil Hi-Performance - 8202

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have also been in the thoughts of trying one of the after market coils. In that case I would choose a dry one like the original.
I just have to measure the primary winding resistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts