Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, my hood pad is gone to pot. I need a new one bad, its dropping old styrofoam pieces all over my engine all the time. Just wanted to know if any particular vendors had a a good deal on these things. I tried looking through autohausaz' inventory, but I don't believe they sell it... dealer only item?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I bought one from the dealer, they recommended the newer one to me (one that covers the whole hood - underneath). Can't remember exactly, but it was only $70-80.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Yeap, JoeTLC is a great resource and tends to sell things for excellent prices. not everything like autohaus but for little weird things.

Same price as listed on the Website

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
Mine went to hell too, but I didn't get a new one. My engine runs cooler without it anyways. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1993 190e 2.3
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I apprecabate all the answers; seriously I don't think I'd ever have found that thing. I'd already looked over what I thought was the entire internet, but obviously that wasn't the case. Thanks guys, for the millionth time!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,457 Posts

Oh yeah part of the reason why you should have a hood pad is because the engine's heat will slowly ruin the hood paint. I knew someone w/ a 300D and his hood paint was shot because he didn't have a hood pad anymore

·
Registered
154 Posts
Two more items:

The hood pad also provides a "seal" from the engine compartment to the cold air intake portion of the heating/cooling vents. If that seal is not there the hot air from the engine compartment flows into the intake from the front of the windshield. This may be part of the problem with you guys that have A/C problems with the temp not being cold enough.

You can remove the old hood pad with a putty knife but first put a cloth/blanket over the engine bay to catch the old foam. To install the new pad I used the 3M Rubber and Vinyl Adhesive #80 that is commonly used for headliners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts