Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Euro Triad '84 280se '83 280e '85 500se
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my '77 300D has a knocking sound when it's cold and I apply moderate acceleration. It doesn't happen at idle, only when accelerating. It also goes away when it reaches operating temperature.
I adjusted the valves all to spec and I have no clue what it is. It's a pretty loud clacking sound that I can hear from inside the car. I haven't touched the injection timing nor have I really touched the injectors since I bought the car as it was running well. Any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
That sounds exactly like a diesel.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'd have the injection timing checked to give myself peace of mind, then leave it there. Cold diesels are clattery when cold.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I will definitely do an injection timing since I have no idea the last time it's been timed. The only thing that worries me is that I thought the knocking went away when it's warm but if I listen from the engine compartment I can still hear it very faintly when I rev up the engine. It's about 95% gone but it's still there.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Hey guys, my '77 300D has a knocking sound when it's cold and I apply moderate acceleration. It doesn't happen at idle, only when accelerating. It also goes away when it reaches operating temperature.
I adjusted the valves all to spec and I have no clue what it is. It's a pretty loud clacking sound that I can hear from inside the car. I haven't touched the injection timing nor have I really touched the injectors since I bought the car as it was running well. Any ideas? :confused:
Either or both.

If you have the Valve Cover off Check the Camshaft Timing.

If the Fuel Injection Pump has not been re-timed but the Timing Chain and Gears have continued to stretch/wear the Fuel Injection Pump Timing will be a little late.

As compression gets lower it will also cause nailing.

I am one of those people who lets the Car idle a bit to warm it up before I move; unless I am in a big hurry.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
I am one of those people who lets the Car idle a bit to warm it up before I move; unless I am in a big hurry.
I read in my TD's owner manual that Mercedes recommends you simply drive to warm it up. I've also read that diesels in particular produce a relatively small amount of heat while idling so they take a while to warm up. My TD will usually take at least 10 minutes to reach 80C idling. When I crank it up, I'll high idle it around 1100RPM, mostly to get the nailing to stop and because theres usually a lazy missing cylinder that a high idle smooths out. I'll do that for about 10 sec, check its 900RPM idle for a sec and start driving very easy ~15sec after start up.

PS: I explained in detail because everyone likes details AND so you all can clearly comment and share info. on what I post. I DO appreciate feedback!

·
Registered
Timeship, see you yesterday, but you already knew that.
4,103 Posts
Check the flywheel for cracks and make sure the torque converter bolts are all tight.

You wouldn't believe how many nuts and bolts a diesel will loosen with valves that are out of sync, due to vibration.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help and input folks, I greatly appreciate it.
I went ahead and timed the injection pump today and it purrs like a kitten. The timing was about 10-12 degrees retarded so I'm glad that noise and your input led me to check it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
I read in my TD's owner manual that Mercedes recommends you simply drive to warm it up. I've also read that diesels in particular produce a relatively small amount of heat while idling so they take a while to warm up. My TD will usually take at least 10 minutes to reach 80C idling. When I crank it up, I'll high idle it around 1100RPM, mostly to get the nailing to stop and because theres usually a lazy missing cylinder that a high idle smooths out. I'll do that for about 10 sec, check its 900RPM idle for a sec and start driving very easy ~15sec after start up.

PS: I explained in detail because everyone likes details AND so you all can clearly comment and share info. on what I post. I DO appreciate feedback!
I guess I am a Rebel.

I also did not mean I idled the Car until it reached 80C. I am talking about allowing the Car to Idle 1-2 minutes.

If I thought I could remember to disconnect it before I drive off I would use the Block Heater.

I believe warming the Engine reduces upper Cylinder Wear and when you Car starts moving the Fuel burns better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts