Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2007 E63. What a car!!!! However I have noticed that when stopped or at slower speeds I hear a "knocking" sound coming from what seems to be the right rear of the car. It doesn't do it all the time and the intervals between knocks changes. It might do it at higher speeds as well but with so much other noise I don't notice it. Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
'03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
710 Posts
Eric,

Interesting you should bring this up. I get the same in my '02 E55. Not with any frequency, not overly loud, just a gentle, occasional single or double knock. Doesn't appear to be associated with any type of driving.:confused:

I've chalked it up to some Black Forest Trolls, included at no extra charge when the car was built. :D

If anyone has a good explanation, I'd be interested.

Mike K.

·
Registered
2012 E63 Bi-Turbo w/ Renntech ECU Upgrade (and a 2011 ML350 BlueTec) 2005 E55 SOLD :(
220 Posts
Must be all those admiring eyes bouncing off your cars!

OK, we have a battery, a spare tire and associated parts and a few other things in the back and right in our trunks...perhaps a tire iron, loose jack or tire, or even something that may have been dropped in the compartment near the tire?

Just offering suggestions.

Is our emergency brake tied-in to the right rear wheel like it was on an older car I used to own?

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it is anything loose as it still occurs when I am at a dead stop. Other have suggested it may be a fuel pump or the braking system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 E63 with 93K Making Knocking Noise

Hello all,

I'm looking to join the realm of the few that have had the pleasure of owning such a beast. However, I am aware that this initial investment can cause me than what I would pay for this toy if I was to replace the engine.

The car is in great condition esthetically, however, I cannot ignore the initial knocking noise it makes for the first few seconds and then it goes away.

I'm posting two videos of what the engine sounds like and hoping that you will be able to let me know if the noise is normal for these 63 engines, or am I looking at a more serious problem.

I have reviewed many posts on multiple forums, and it doesn't sound as bad as what aI have heard.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

https://youtu.be/VqJNryxWHu8

https://youtu.be/y9gXAi13dEE

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
After owning a few, I have realized that these motors (the M113K included) do make some different noises from time to time and its nothing to get worried about.
These AMG cars run different cams, different timing degrees, fuel pressures and sometimes are not as silent as your typical E500 or 550
I have been told that the correct oil viscosity does make a difference in cam lash noise. Be sure to run a 40 or 50 weight at a minimum
I have used MObil1 15W50 for years without any issues.

My 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts