Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a C200 W202 -96 and this morning I started hearing a knocking sound in the engine.
There is a plastic cower in the front of the engine just oposite to the fan, when I put my hand on it or lift it of completely, the knocking sound almost dissapears.
I guess the knocking sound is still there but the cower acts as a resonancebox or something.
What can it be? Could it be something with the camchain?
Thanks!

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Listen in...

This sounds like one of those you just have to be there to hear it deals...

Some guys have had trouble with the timing chain tensioner which will cause a noise in that area. If your car is knocking like a Diesel from that area it is likely the belt tensioner is going out. There are a few threads on that you can search out. Much preferred to a Cam problem but still a pain to R/R.

Here's a Thread with the noise on You-Tube. See if it is the same as yours.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1438330-help-strange-noise.html

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okey, thanks, I will listen to the youtube clip later, a friend also said it could be the timing chain tensioner.
But now I have some problem probably with the mountings to the sway bar or the ball joint, because it makes a "Squeking" sound when I push the cars forward left end up and down, and that is not a very fun sound while driving xD
I will try to lubricate the parts and se if it dissapears.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
But now I have some problem probably with the mountings to the sway bar or the ball joint, because it makes a "Squeking" sound when I push the cars forward left end up and down, and that is not a very fun sound while driving xD
I will try to lubricate the parts and se if it dissapears.
That familiar squeak tends to lead to suspension repairs, pretty common on our cars at the age yours is but also depending upon mileage generally.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okey, I hope that will be in a distant future xD but now I have lubricated the mountings of the sway bar with WD-40 and the squeking sound disappeared for a while, or I can hear it sometimes.
So I'll have to change the mountings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okey, thanks for the tip, I only used it to find where the sound was coming from, so now I am going to change the parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts