Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 MB E430
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: Can someone help me please...!!!! There is a LOUD knocking noise that is coming from the engine area when I first start up the car. It gets louder while driving.. I think it has something to do with my motor mounts, cause engine is shaking real hard. I'm getting them changed out tommorow, but i'm curious if its the serpintine belt that needs to be change. It really sounds like one of the pulleys making the noise. Does anyone have any idea how to change this belt? It looks pretty easy to change, but which one is the tensioner???? Can someone please please help me...

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
I have several q's, did you open the hood on start up to see and hear exactly where the noise is coming from. Is the noise in the engine or is it made by the engine's heavy vibration?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Motor mounts have been mentioned on here as going bad before so I would not be surprised to learn those are the cause of your shaking, but I don't know if the knocking is related to the same thing.

Just a guess, but I would suspect you could visualize what is causing the knock by revving the car while a friend watches the engine bay.

·
Registered
2001 MB E430
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slybydesignw210 , I did pop the hood open and started the car. It comes and go. It seems like its coming from the fan area. I suspect its one of the pulleys. it looks like the belt needs to be change also. I want to change the belt but i cant figure out which one is the belt tensioner. I drew a diagram on how the belt is run, but i can't see how to loosen the belt to change. Is there a DIY forum on how to change this belt? please help...

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
I had a simular situation and it turned out to be the tentioner loosing a beering. All in all its about 1.5 hours of work extremely easy to fix, search my posting on it. Cost to fix was about 200 out of pocket or 300 to have machanic do it. The tentioner is by the fan change those if you can because the word is, if the beering flies out the tentioner doing high speeds, it will go straight through your fan and radiator, $2000 repair cost. I would def look into changing the two. I am not a machanic I am just speeking from experience, because thats how my situation started and when I had the rumbleling and shaking I should have look to see the tentioner's beerings slipping loose.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i don't know how it is on your 2001 w210, but on my 1997 it;'s pretty self-explanatory in the owner's manual. it has a diagram. belt is like $20-30, and try moving the pulleys in an up & down motion to see if any of them has a play if you think something wrong with the bearings.

·
Registered
E420
111 Posts
Tirona, do you mind sharing where did you get serpentine belt for $20-$30? and which pulley do I have to loosen in order to take off the old belt and insert the new ones? Any spec on the torque settings for the pulleys?
Thanks

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
autohausaz.com has them for like $25 (look for polyrib or poly-v belt if you can't find serpentine belt). i don;t know exactly for your car which pulley you have to losen, but if you can't figure it out go to like autozone/napa etc. and have one of their employees tell you how to do it, they should know that. you can probably buy the serpentine belt there for around $30. check your manual, because they give a good diagram of your serpentine belt pattern.
also i don't know the torque setting for the pulleys, i didn;t use a torque wrench when i did mine.

·
Registered
E420
111 Posts
Thanks. I'll try to go somewhere, not Autozone. I have had an unpleasant experience where a store manager was applying his own policy that you need to give your driver license and a credit card as a collateral to use their OBDC in front of the store. I did complain and the district manager aplologized because that was not Autozone's policy. The store is in Glasell/Katella in Orange.
Happy Benzing:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts