Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the classic knock sound in the front left drivers side wheel area. When I make a stop with the car and the moment it moves forward it will make a loud knock. It also does it when going over bumps...it would make 1 or 2 knocks. Somebody told me it would be the bushings but I think they are many bushings.

Is this something major? I noticed the car doesnt feel the same anymore after this..like its gonna fall apart.[xx(]

·
Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
579 Posts
sounds like caster bushings (guide rod bushing- #126 330 13 35)- also check upper control arms for play..

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
The left front wheel of a registered car I had came right off under race conditions once...

An old pinion bolt sheered under the strain and the whole lot just let go. Luckily I was decelerating from about 50 in a turn and pulling up anyway.

Good to keep these things in good order methinks.

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
Yes i had gone through that well actually all my bushings are shot... had to do all.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm will look at them ASAP as soon as we get a bit more warmen weather. But the wheel wont fall off will it?[:0]

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,219 Posts
Hi Benzonline,

RE "wheel coming off": If the sound has been around for a bit, and been getting progressively worse over time..... probably not - and you should look into it soon.

If however, this sound has appeared 'all at once', you really ought to have it attended to PDQ, as that would indicate something is going bad/getting worse quickly and could compromise safety.

BENZDOC is more than likely correct with his diagnosis. You might do a search for Caster Box in W126. Lots of references there.
Sounds exactly the same as the symptoms my car had last Summer, both were worn on my car.

Hope it isn't a BIG problem, MBL

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Yes it does sound like your Caster Boxes. I had mine done last year and boy what a difference it made right away.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm ok...luckily I have the parts car and will check the condition of the caster boxes on that one and maybe swipe them. Otherwise is it exspensive?[8)]

What kind of difference will I feel after? Right now it feels a bit more "sloppy".

Thx for the replies.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,219 Posts
Hi Benzonline,

The 126 Support Rod Joint Repair Kit (Item # 126SKU-SRK) from Mercedessource will do both sides of your car, even has insructions, should you choose that option. $120 USD + shipping.

http://www.mercedessource.com/ and put the item number into the search field top right will get you there. Detailed info when you click the picture.

A Caster Box post authored by Diesel Power might assist too.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1186100&posts=10&hl=caster+box

Good Luck, MBL

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Just an FYI, but I do not under any circumstances use the aftermarket caster joints..they seem to have a pention for cracking in short order. I gave two sets a try before calling it quits and Only using genuine bits. This is just one of those times when it pays to spend the few extra $$$.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok good call! I just have to find the time now to look at it.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
747 Posts
Just an FYI, but I do not under any circumstances use the aftermarket caster joints..they seem to have a pention for cracking in short order. I gave two sets a try before calling it quits and Only using genuine bits. This is just one of those times when it pays to spend the few extra $$$.

Jonathan
Does this include the Autohaus ones? I'm kind of confused since I thought they sold only OEM / OEM equivalent things. I have quite a few bits to purchase...

Also there's a newer gen2 at the pick and pay wrecker that I checked out - they seemed okay. I even half-extracted them when I was there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts