Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow
669 Posts
check all the multi-links in the rear. I had an issue where a bolt was loose and the geometry of the rear meant that as the weight of the car shifted, the link (bar) would rotate up towards the underside of the car and make a loud bang

·
Registered
'92 W124 230E Auto
210 Posts
Put the car on a pit, apply the brakes, have someone underneath to check, idle engine and engage "R" and "D", excessive movement will soon become apparent. Also have someone check the engine mountings at the same time.

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
1,047 Posts
check all the multi-links in the rear. I had an issue where a bolt was loose and the geometry of the rear meant that as the weight of the car shifted, the link (bar) would rotate up towards the underside of the car and make a loud bang
I remember the thread. IIRC you had completely lost the bolt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Basically, from a standstill I accelerate very lightly and let go of the gas pedal, engine braking takes place like normal, BUT, if I start accelerating again, slowly or quickly, I get a bang/knock as soon as I press on the gas. It’s loudest from the outside of the car.

There’s a slight jerk accompanying this banging. Anyone know what the hell this is? Sounds like it’s coming from transmission or driveshaft...
I had the same problem on a w210. I replaced the driveshaft flex plates and the carrier bearing, before replacing the motor mounts. The mounts were tge main issue but the carrier bearing seal was torn as well. Moral of the story, have them all checked and plan to change them out. Mounts first, carrier bearing, with flex plates next.

·
Registered
2001 SL500
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had the same problem on a w210. I replaced the driveshaft flex plates and the carrier bearing, before replacing the motor mounts. The mounts were tge main issue but the carrier bearing seal was torn as well. Moral of the story, have them all checked and plan to change them out. Mounts first, carrier bearing, with flex plates next.
Was your thump confined only to acceleration after engine braking too?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts