Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictured here is an area above and behind the brake fluid. There is a black plastic know with prominent ridges that make it look like its so you can grip it and turn it. It somehow goes to the accelerator cable. Do you know what it is called and what the possible adjustment is for? This is attached on the firewall directly in front of the driver (left side) North American model.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
That's one of the ways you adjust or tension a bowden cable aka teleflex aka throttle cable. You need to pre stress these cables or they collapse or twist then stick. It actually just pushes the outer sheath around. On a one way there will be a spring that will close the throttle.

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO to explain the term pre stress the cable do you mean to pre stress the cable while doing an adjustment? My accelerator does not feel as smooth as I think it should (probably has never been adjusted since new. To pre stress do you mean to have someone put slight pressure on the accelerator while I make minor adjustments at the firewall by turning this knob? Is there a specific amount of tension that should be measured in some manner or just adjust it to personal preference?

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,600 Posts
SO to explain the term pre stress the cable do you mean to pre stress the cable while doing an adjustment? My accelerator does not feel as smooth as I think it should (probably has never been adjusted since new. To pre stress do you mean to have someone put slight pressure on the accelerator while I make minor adjustments at the firewall by turning this knob? Is there a specific amount of tension that should be measured in some manner or just adjust it to personal preference?
Throttle cable bolt presets the idle and full throttle values for TPS. There is no need to do anything unless someone played with it, and you are having problem with throttle response.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Merzatt thank you for that document, that helps me fully understand the adjustment process.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
The pre-stress I'm referring to is just for proper smooth operation of the cable. The actual cable only works in tension or by pulling. The black outer bit covers a inner Teflon liner the cable slides through. When the cable isn't setup that way the Teflon liner can catch or wear and you can get sticky operation. You need to have that right before you adjust the travel. Luckily most of the time on these types of cables one setup does both as they can be a totally royal pain in the butt on setups that are not designed around how the cable works.

One thing you can do is get some ptfe/Teflon lube and flush the cable. Basically squirt it down inside the outer sheath until you get some out the other end. If the ptfe liner is damaged by grit or just normal wear the improvement won't last very long. If that's all it needs it will smooth out and won't require as much force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts