Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3 8v
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I shift into gear from park I get the Klunk!, Clunk! and a hard kick to go with it, other times usually during morning takeoffs it shifts real smooth. I have done some driveshaft u-joint service on my previous cheby trucks but the BENZ set-up is much dif. I need some feedback on "causes & conditions and possible solutions. And do the ball joints take grease?

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
this is an easy one!
100% it's the flex disc, usually the front one. Theres 2 (front between tranny & driveshaft & rear driveshaft to differential).
I have to replace mine too!
I'm going to replace both. Approx. $200 for the flex discs.

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Man, I still have the clunk (when hot usually aswell) after replacing the both flex-discs and the central bearing, could be the diff developing an abnormal play (I saw the play, it's pretty much of it, regardless of the planetary axles' allowed play) also, (as the car moves the diff oil gets warm and the density diminishes, not buffering the gear wear at contact, I for myself and also (whoaaa, don't blame me for gathering up words here) will check if the diff oil on mine (hopefully tomorrow or the day after) is right and change it)...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
hyprr1 said:
Approx. $200 for the flex discs.
I paid last year 100 euros 4 a piece (OEMs, incl. tax)...

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Well, I resign my search up to the diff since my baby jolts from the ass' area... (haha, she's a biatch) :)
Well the man can tell us where's the clunk, not so?

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,253 Posts

·
Registered
'90 190e 2.6
34 Posts

·
Registered
1989 W201 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
67 Posts
My repair shop suggested the "klunk" in my 190E is coming from the (collapsed) Motor Mounts, which may be torquing, and "clunking" against the body. Is that a possibility??

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
My repair shop suggested the "klunk" in my 190E is coming from the (collapsed) Motor Mounts, which may be torquing, and "clunking" against the body. Is that a possibility??
It's possible, especially if they are bottomed out. I replaced both of my engine mounts and the transmission mount and what a huge difference it makes when the engine is at idle...smooth and quiet, with no vibrations. I highly suggest replacing them.

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
If the case were motor mounts you would also have a quite violent shake from the front of the car while the klunk was made. And it would happen at idle as well. You need to isolate the issue whether it be in motion or at a stop to see where the problem lies.

·
Registered
1992 2.3 190E
1,548 Posts
You might give this a go, not very scientific though. Jack it up so you can get to the drive shaft. Check for side to side play. Then rotate it by hand quickly slamming if you will stop to stop and listen. Does it sound like your Clunk? A ball peen hammer banging on metal sound? Most likely you may hear it right at the Diff as play. Mine has a bit but not too worried just yet. No howling, though I am wondering if it can be shimmed. Not by me, over my pay grade.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your rear subframe bushings. I just ordered all 4. It started with the clunk. Then went to the rear end steering the car with subframe movement. By the way, I just bought the last rear position, rear subframe bushings any of the suppliers could find. Aftermarket bushings totaled about $150 versus $400 from MB.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts