Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

This is my first post here (or anywhere else). I have seen some posts that question the honesty of those “plugging� a product or company. I am not plugging.

I got my 2002 E55 back from the shop on 10/24/03 (after 2 days). I got the KLEEMANN package that takes the car to 550HP / 580 ft-#. It still looks stock, but it feels like a different car.

When the engine is started, it sounds the same, and as long as you take it easy (i.e., everyday driving), you do not hear or feel anything more than usual from under the hood. Having said that…

The power/torque is absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! Ease down on the gas (or stomp it), and the engine (and everything else) is RIGHT THERE!!! No lag, no nothing. My brother’s 540iSport is now officially kicked to he curb.

I never have been and never will be a street racer, but this thing will blow the doors off of anything I’ve seen (including the new VIPER). I look forward to an M5 (any year will do, including 2004) stopping next to me at a light.

All the Best
Greg

·
Registered
2002 E55
70 Posts
Congradulation on your "renew" beast. I am contemplating on doing the same on my AMG, eit...

Congradulation on your "renew" beast. I am contemplating on doing the same on my AMG, either the 2001 CLK55 or 2002 E55. Where did you have it done and did you take advantage of the new Kleemann price? And did you do any other modifications? I am interested to hear your opinion on long highway cruising since I travel between Toronto Canada and Boston MA often. Please also post your opinion on www.mbworld.org because there are few E55 owners interested in this upgrade.

John

·
Registered
2002 E55K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my best answers

John

First, I was dropping my dad off at the local MB dealer, and one of the sales guys asked me if I wanted to “upgrade� to the new E55. I told him I liked the new E, but I didn’t love it, so I was going to supercharge mine. He took it on himself to explore the options (HPS, KLEEMANN, RennTech, etc.) and asked me to take a look and see (if anything) I wanted to do.

K’mann FedExed him all of their literature. Nobody else did. The bottom line is that K’mann not only had a great package, but also, since they had never done business in my town, they flew one of their guys in from Colorado to stay for 2 days to oversee the job. No charge.

It was done in Chattanooga, TN. I am sure that you can get your local dealer to give K’mann a call and set everything up for you.

Second, on your question about other modifications…not yet. I love this car. I am going to keep it for a very long time. I’ve talked with K’mann about other upgrades, but this car is a hobby. I will eventually do more.

Third, long highway cruising… I do not have any idea. Sorry.

I thought the E55 was fast. It is/was. This is taking “fast� to another level. “The Beast� is fast, but not a match.

All the Best
Greg

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
Greg, Did you get the new updated V8 kompressor version and lower price of $11k. It was p...

Greg, Did you get the new updated V8 kompressor version and lower price of $11k. It was previously $16,995. How much was the install?

Was the unit installed at your local Mercedes dealer service bay. Is your Mercedes dealer itself offering the Kleemann stuff thru their dealership or just a one time install. Is the MBZ dealer going to still cover your MBZ warranty even with the Kleemann aftermarket unit? Thanks.

I want the Kleemann suspension because the E55 is not tight enought in the curves.

·
Registered
e55
27 Posts
Did Kleeman reduce the price of there kit to 11K? If they did I would have put one of t...

Did Kleeman reduce the price of there kit to 11K? If they did I would have put one of there kits on instead of the HPS. I like the Hps kit and my car runs a lot stronger than I though it would with only 4 or 5 pounds of boost but haveing an extra 100 horse is always nice. Can you get any traction with your car with the kleeman kit? I have enough problems with it on mine. I can hit it at 40 in second and it will not hook up. Its kind of fun to get the car sideways on the highway at that speed.

Chuck

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think they reduced the price to $11,000 + $1,500 for installation IIRC....

I think they reduced the price to $11,000 + $1,500 for installation IIRC.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
HPS has also lowered the price of their superchargers:

"Cost for the HPS supercharger s...

HPS has also lowered the price of their superchargers:

"Cost for the HPS supercharger system is $6,995 US dollars, additional $1,500 for
installation. Optional warranty $500."

www.myhps.com/e55/e55.html

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
That's still around $2000 too high for a non-intercooled system and the Kleeman kit is sti...

That's still around $2000 too high for a non-intercooled system and the Kleeman kit is still pricey by around $4,000. I'm sure the prices will drop even further soon enough.

·
Registered
e55
27 Posts
I think the prices that Hps and Kleeman now are charging are reasonable, after all how m...

I think the prices that Hps and Kleeman now are charging are reasonable, after all how many kits can they sell. You cant compare these kits to stuff for other mass produced cars. I bought a procharger for my Camaro that was a lot less money but I had to screw around with it for a week to get it to fit right.

·
Registered
2002 E55K
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for E55 KEV

Kev

I paid more than 11K. I am not saying I got a bargain, but KLEEMANN did a great job, and they are throwing in some other stuff. That is all I’ll say.

The install was about $1500, and yes, it was installed in the local MB service bay. The local MB dealer at least mentioned selling complete KLEMANN cars. I know that this is not a 1-time thing. If you want to have yours done in Chattanooga, TN, let me know, I am not affiliated with them and do not charge a commission.

The warranty has not come up. I have heard that new laws require that all unmodified parts be covered, but that’s not a big concern.

Kev, the suspension and brakes are coming (possibly even the titanium package that takes this critter to 615HP), but the E55K package is the first thing to do. The suspension and brakes on my car were more than enough to handle the AMG engine and are not lacking with all of the new stuff. As we both know, KLEMANN make AMG look like boy scouts.

Is that a Penn St emblem?

Greg

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
The lion is for Antera wheels - not a Nittany Lion.

Kev, ...the titanium package that takes this critter to 615HP),...

Is that a Penn St emblem?

Greg
Any details on the ti package? How is Kleemann going to get 615HP out of a W210 E55 or is that for W211 E55? I have seen them promising a 640HP W211 E55 (euro rating).

·
Registered
Supra & E55 AMG
12 Posts
WOW!

seems there is alot of power lost through the drivetrain! [:0]

WOW!

seems there is alot of power lost through the drivetrain! [:0]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Greg, congrats & great report...

I too am interested in the Kleemann SC, as I will be keeping my Beast for a long time. I am totally in love with this car. I just completed a 3540 mile round trip to Seattle, and this vehicle is amazing.[:D]
-HarleyB

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: W210 Titanium Package to 615HP?

Can someone pls elaborate on exactly what this package consists of? Details pls.

Thanks
Maybe you can find out here:

http://www.kleemann.dk/tuning/index.htm

·
Registered
Hertzmobile
536 Posts
Re: Re: W210 Titanium Package to 615HP?

Can someone pls elaborate on exactly what this package consists of? Details pls.

Thanks
Maybe you can find out here:

http://www.kleemann.dk/tuning/index.htm

[/quote]

Already checked and it does not say anything about it.

·
Registered
2000 AMG E55
171 Posts
RE: for E55 KEV

I called a Kleemann rep today and asked him about a titanium kit for the E55 and he did not know what I was talking about. He did say however that he had a set of headers (around $3,700) and a down-pipe replacing the two front cats and allows a uniform 60mm throughout, he claimed this system maintains smog legality in CA. Their exhaust, along with a matching ECU, brings the output from a 540hp average with the blower to just under 610hp and just over 600lb/ft of torque. He also said replacing cams was a waste of time as even the Brabus cams would add less than 5 hp with the blower installed.

The * system with a smaller pulley for boost and power comparable to the Kleemann system would be fun as well. And it would be safe with a cryogenic intake system (www.designengineering.com) or a small shot of nitrous to handle the cooling duties only at WOT (wide open throttle). All of this could be done for under $6,500 with a little haggling and a self-install, I have seen the instructions-piece of cake. Plus with * you get a 4 year warranty on all effected parts.
Then add the upgraded exhaust and you will have an honest 600 hp with either system.

Lets see: Kleemann system (530 to 550hp) is at least $12,500 including installation (Kleemann does not let you install yourself even if you design forced induction systems for a living as I do), comes with a cooler and a 1 year warranty and is quiet for a supercharged car. This is a really attractive package, the one I want most, but is a tad more cash than I can justify spending, and I can justify with the best of them. For that much cash I would at least like to see a warranty equal to their competitors.
Or *, if you ask nicely, they will sell you their kit (approx. 470hp)for less than $5,900, with the 4 year warranty, and will let you install it yourself if you like, saving $1,500. They will even hook you up with pulleys and ECU mods as they come available and are needed. Does not come with a cooler though. Just add the Cry02 intake cooler ($374) or nitrous ($500-$600) to keep the charge-air temp at a safe level with the added boost. Plus, if you sell the car it would be easier to remove and sell on ebay than the Kleemann. This is especially nice if you plan on trading your car in on the new E55 in the future, since the dealer will no doubt give you less for a modified car than for a stock one.

$40,000 for a high boost Renn-Tech is as much as I paid for my car and makes less power than either option I described above so it is not for me, though if I had unlimited funds it would sound more viable. Same goes for a V12 conversion.
Brabus 6.1 liter is $20,000 and brings hp to around 430.
Next week I will decide which way I want to go. What a great thing it is to have such a choice!

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Howdy - who"s got pictures to post ?

I've been researching upgrades to my 2000E55 and starting to lean towards KLEEMANN. Brabus seems to want to bore my engine out. The * blower looks cheap (to Me anyway) and I cant seem to find anyone who will ut the new E55 blower on my engine.

My car is cherry 2000 with 28K on it. All I want is "a little more" HP. Thoughts ????

·
Registered
'05 330i ZHP
1,036 Posts

E55RAT - 1/14/2004 12:50 AM

I called a Kleemann rep today and asked him about a titanium kit for the E55 and he did not know what I was talking about. He did say however that he had a set of headers (around $3,700) and a down-pipe replacing the two front cats and allows a uniform 60mm throughout, he claimed this system maintains smog legality in CA. Their exhaust, along with a matching ECU, brings the output from a 540hp average with the blower to just under 610hp and just over 600lb/ft of torque. He also said replacing cams was a waste of time as even the Brabus cams would add less than 5 hp with the blower installed.

The * system with a smaller pulley for boost and power comparable to the Kleemann system would be fun as well. And it would be safe with a cryogenic intake system (www.designengineering.com) or a small shot of nitrous to handle the cooling duties only at WOT (wide open throttle). All of this could be done for under $6,500 with a little haggling and a self-install, I have seen the instructions-piece of cake. Plus with * you get a 4 year warranty on all effected parts.
Then add the upgraded exhaust and you will have an honest 600 hp with either system.

Lets see: Kleemann system (530 to 550hp) is at least $12,500 including installation (Kleemann does not let you install yourself even if you design forced induction systems for a living as I do), comes with a cooler and a 1 year warranty and is quiet for a supercharged car. This is a really attractive package, the one I want most, but is a tad more cash than I can justify spending, and I can justify with the best of them. For that much cash I would at least like to see a warranty equal to their competitors.
Or *, if you ask nicely, they will sell you their kit (approx. 470hp)for less than $5,900, with the 4 year warranty, and will let you install it yourself if you like, saving $1,500. They will even hook you up with pulleys and ECU mods as they come available and are needed. Does not come with a cooler though. Just add the Cry02 intake cooler ($374) or nitrous ($500-$600) to keep the charge-air temp at a safe level with the added boost. Plus, if you sell the car it would be easier to remove and sell on ebay than the Kleemann. This is especially nice if you plan on trading your car in on the new E55 in the future, since the dealer will no doubt give you less for a modified car than for a stock one.

$40,000 for a high boost Renn-Tech is as much as I paid for my car and makes less power than either option I described above so it is not for me, though if I had unlimited funds it would sound more viable. Same goes for a V12 conversion.
Next week I will decide which way I want to go. What a great thing it is to have such a choice!
The Brabus V12 conversion may only make 582 hp, but the torque is 750 newton-meters, which is what really gets you off the line. they should make a turbo kit for the E V12, then your kleemann cars would be left in the dust. Wider tires would also help.

·
Registered
'05 330i ZHP
1,036 Posts

E55RAT - 1/14/2004 12:50 AM

The Brabus V12 conversion may only make 582 hp, but the torque is 750 newton-meters, which is what really gets you off the line. they should make a turbo kit for the E V12, then your kleemann cars would be left in the dust. Wider tires would also help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts