Now the wait begins. No turning back!!

Progress report when the install begins

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First order of business. Yes!!

Found myself a set of Kleemann headers and downpipes. No longer shiny and clean but still in very good condition. Thanks to a fellow message board member for the pieces. You know who you are.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looking good what kind mercedes did the headers come off of? bc I found some off a 2003 Mercedes e55 was king if I can interchange with the header as well.

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking good what kind mercedes did the headers come off of? bc I found some off a 2003 Mercedes e55 was king if I can interchange with the header as well.

The headers came off a 2005 G55k (M113 Motor). I'm not sure if headers from an E55 will fit on the G's. From what I've seen on the E class boards, the headers look quite different from the G class headers. The ones for the E class look like they have more curves coming out of the manifold where as the G's are straight across the exhaust manifold.

I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you plan to sell the headers and down pipes let me know ... In the future I might do either a v12 Bi-Turbo swap or E55K swap whichever donor car I come across cheaper this mb tech I know said his friend works at Brabus and he can find out what needs to be done in order to do this v12 swap ...

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you plan to sell the headers and down pipes let me know ... In the future I might do either a v12 Bi-Turbo swap or E55K swap whichever donor car I come across cheaper this mb tech I know said his friend works at Brabus and he can find out what needs to be done in order to do this v12 swap ...
Will do, although I think I'll be keeping the headers for a long time.

By the way, I was able to find the under bumper bar and skid plate from the forum member that sold me the headers and downpipes.

I'll be removing the Brabus front lip spoiler to bring her back to more stock appearance. The lip is for sale complete with the driving lights, harness and switch in case you are interested in this look:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Take pics when u mount that AMG lower under bar and skid plate I have the skid plate as well and bar but no bolts and that hook looking thing.

·
Registered
G500 2002, 2005 m/t c230k, w221(s) s350, s320
141 Posts
Congrats! I'm very excited to see this, I have not found much info/eye candy in the way of 113n/a G's with kompressors. Just a youtube clip or two of a renntech one on the dyno. Awesome that you got the headers as well, do you plan to install them when the SC arrives or maybe slip em on before?

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats! I'm very excited to see this, I have not found much info/eye candy in the way of 113n/a G's with kompressors. Just a youtube clip or two of a renntech one on the dyno. Awesome that you got the headers as well, do you plan to install them when the SC arrives or maybe slip em on before?
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to seeing and feeling the results of this as well. It's been 2 years in the making and I've been trying to figure out what exactly I wanted to do in terms of performance mods.

It also took a while because I wanted to work out all the kinks and minor issues the car had before I started modifying the engine for better performance. Issues I had ranged Everywhere from transfer case motor issues to transfer case module issues to ceiling lining re-upholstering to shock replacement to muffler replacement, etc.

Yes, the headers were indeed a real bonus because I was originally looking for a brake upgrade and I read on one of the forum threads about someone removing his G55k brakes and replacing them with replacing them with G500 brakes so 16" wheels would fit for off roading purposes.

By the time I contacted the board member, he had already sold his G55k and reinstalled the G55k brakes before selling it. But not before he removed the entire Kleemann header/exhaust system. And he didn't reinstall the underbar and skid plate. So I got those from him as well.

I was toying with the idea of installing the headers before the s/c. I would be able to enjoy some performance gains right away but according to Cory from Kleemann I would be get a CEL from the post cat O2 sensors. The ECU needs to be reprogrammed to account for one set of the stock cats being removed. I don't really want to be driving around with the check engine light so I'll just wait until the s/c install and I'll send the ECU to Kleemann to have the programming done at one time.

I also plan to do a pre install dyno run to see where I'm starting from. I'll be sure to post the results pre and post install.

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's here!!!!!

Like a kid in a candy store!!!

Just a quick update. The palet of Kleemann goodies just arrived today. Tomorrow I remove the ECU and send it Cory. Saturday the truck goes under the knife!

Also, an update of the exterior:
I decided to put it back to as stock looking as possible. Still waiting on the unpainted grill I found and the under bumper bar and skid plate:

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

One month and numerous delays later, the install is close to completion. I've also done a number of other changes and modifications to give the truck a complete makeover.

Grey Rims

Back to the original period correct Grill with silver slits and chrome star

Kleemann headers, downpipes and cats installed

Supercharger installed with most of the hoses in place

Engine cover being fitted. Part of it needs to be trimmed to make way for the oil cooler/heat exchanger housing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
my damn dream, i been thinking about selling my g500 and geting a g55 but idk maybe its cheaper 2 do this plus i know your is faster

check my facebook i ran a 16.22 fast time killing alot of hondas last weekend at Atlanta drag-way

clel lee add me on fb if u want 2 see the drag

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last few pieces are going on first thing tomorrow morning. All the missing parts are here and ready to be installed!!

The Resistor went on today. All relays are hooked up. A few more fittings were machined to run the cooling hoses nicely. Those go on tomorrow. Engine cover will be trimmed to fit around the oil cooler tomorrow as well.

I designed a pretty unique kleemann logo scheme. Something I haven't seen yet. I think it'll be understated yet still make a statement; if that even makes sense. Pictures up soon. A little mental preview........ On a G55, think V8 Kompressor. Now imagine, V8 KLEEMANN!! Also, that little red carat Kleemann logo costs a pretty penny but I think it'll look perfect when I'm all done.

Can't wait to start her up!!!

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Starting her up this week.
Badges are on:

·
Registered
G500 2002, 2005 m/t c230k, w221(s) s350, s320
141 Posts
Looking Good! Im glad you finally got the install done, I can imagine the aggervation when the first installer started slacking off on your project. Nice job with the wheels, and moving back to a more factory look. The grille you (re)installed is imo the best looking grille made for G's, the rounded edges/silver slats make g55s easier to spot. Might I suggest moving the CF kleemann badge (beneath the AMG) to the interior? It would complete the understated look you are going for, but hey, i'm nitpicking now. Thanks for going thru with this project and taking the time to post. Bravo!

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think I found the culprit for the misfiring. The fuel pressure was going down below 30psi whenever I would depress the accelerator. I found the fuel system installation/modification done incorrectly. I had to reconfigure the fuel hoses. Hopefully that was it. I'll try to start her up first thing tomorrow morning.

AS for the badges, I moved the CF Kleemann badge around a little. I think this looks better.

*** EDIT ***

Correction. I'll be redoing the entire fuel system configuration. I simply "masked" the gigantic mess of a fuel line configuration that the installer did. I drew a diagram of how it was installed and sent it over to Cory. As I suspected it was completely and utterly WRONG!!

I have a new diagram to follow from Cory. Needless to say, I will not be starting her up tomorrow morning. This is 100% the reason why my fuel pressure was going crazy low!

Updates when I'm done with the reconfiguration.

Oh and here's the final shot of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At the end of the exercise........ The problem is solved!!!

Just hooking everything up permanently. Relocated the Fuel pump and regulator and re-ran the fuel lines. Started her up and NOW it sounds GOOD!! Idle sounds 1000x better! I'm just having all the hoses secured and a bracket for the fuel pump fabricated and welded to secure it to its final resting place. I'm also replacing all the clamps on the hoses tomorrow just to make sure. Pressure adjustment, I'll do tomorrow as well. When everything is nice and "toyt" I'll be able to do the final pressure adjustment and voltage check on the MAF lead. Should be ok though since I used a fixed resistor instead of the KLeemann Variable resistor that has been known to go bad.

Here's a shot of the regulator relocation and shots of the rest of the front end changes I did to the truck:

The regulator on the right side of the picture will be upright when done. It's still on a tilt as shown here so we could secure all the hoses.

Grill and Underbar shots:

Pardon the filth that covers the truck in this picture. That's what happens when I car sits for more than a month.....

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's finally up and running! Got all the issues sorted out and she's running strong. Just a very very minor idling hiccup but it shouldn't be a problem. It seems to smoothen out with every drive.

Here she is in final trim

Here are a couple action clips:

·
Registered
2008 G55k Eurocharged
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One year later............ The car is running amazingly! The Kleemann products are holding up perfectly to the heat and humidity here in the Philippines. I think the only thing I may consider getting is a larger heat exchanger(FTP) to take care of the heat soak generated while waiting in the horrible Manila traffic.

That's not to say I haven't had a few minor issues since my last hiccup in December of 2012. But at least I've been enjoying trouble free motoring for the better part of 9 months now.

Here's a short clip of a highway drive a few weeks back:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts