Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am strongly considering keelman headers and the full exhaust replacement. SHould get about 30+ HP out of it and a great sound. I for one dislike the stock sound of the E55 exhaust. It is too quite for a car with so much power.

My question is this: Who else makes headers for the E55 except Kleeman and renntech??? Kleeman wants $2500 without installation....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use to have an S8 Audi and took it to a local hot rod custom exhaust builder and he took my back two resonators off and replaced the factory muffler with a same size two chamber performance muffler and the car sounded like a sweet exotic V-8.
I am curious before you spend $2,500 plus install for new exhaust if you should first go talk to a custom hot rod exhaust builder and invest $500 to get the sound. Customizing your existing system will not give you 30hp but it may get you the sweet sound you are looking for.
Has any 210 e55 owners had their exhaust modified similar to what I did to my S8, and if so, did the modification result in a new sweet sound with no other problems?

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Never heard of more than having the resonator removed (which I'm considering), and a cat back. I had heard that no exhaust work is going to give you 30HP though. The Renntech headers were tested on an otherwise stock W210 by HPS and were found to loose HP everywhere below 3500 RPM!

·
Registered
04 E55
28 Posts
I had a custom "cat-back" built at a local exhaust shop and it turned out great. They reused the 2 flanges conecting the stock cat-back to the front of the system and went straight back to a single dual-in/dual-out muffler back in the stock location. We were able to reuse the stock tips as well for a factory appearance.

While I'm sure it didn't gain any power (looking at the stock muffler and resonator, they are both straight-through) the sound is very nice and has a nice rumble to it. It still sounds like a european car though.

I've been thinking about headers too (* also makes a set for the w210) but unless I do a supercharger also, I just can't justify spending $2k+ for a few HP.

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The renntech headers were shown to lose power below 3500?? Do you have some data to back that up. Renntech is a very reliable company and I can not imagine that would happen. The headers from renntech are larger and should definately not lose any power. Maybe it had something to do with a crappy install? I am really thinking about kleeman headers but if this is true, I def do not want them! I am very surprised though...

for the record, I did not say that exhaust alone will you give 30hp. Headers and full catback exhaust should net around there - more on a s/c car too as was pointed out above.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Equal length headers can lose power at lower rpm's. Tri-Y headers are best for increasing low to mid range hp in naturally aspirated cars by using exhaust scavaging. The equal length headers will do better in a supercharged car. It's all about keeping exhaust velocity as high as possible without causing back-pressure.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I didn't see the dyno, but that's what I was told. SEC is correct. Large primaries will hurt torque and HP at low rpm with possible increases at high rpm, which is what I was told happened. Those might work really well on my car however. 30 HP? who knows, but even a full 30 HP makes that some expensive power. I would likely try removing the resonator first (heard that on a '99 and it sounded pretty good IMO).

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of this. If that is true, I dont want the headers! I am going to talk to kleeman and tell them what I have read here and want to see their response.

Also, has anyone removed the resonator? I was going for a little more power but also want a better sound. The E55 is very hush for such a powerful car. I dont want it very loud, but a lil louder would be nice....

·
Registered
986 Posts
I can't say what the Kleemann headers would do for an otherwise stock car, but I believe James could confirm that they are not going to do a lot by themselves. I believe they are a different design than the Renntech units, so maybe they're better on the bottom end? I'm actually going to pull out the resonator on my car after hearing that on a '99 E55. Even if there's no power increase, I'll probably lose at least 30 lbs!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any recommendation for a better sounding muffler?
I also think that the stock sound is too dull for this exciting car. It would be nice to start with a rumble and a nice growl on full throttle but keep the cruising speed noise down so we can listen to the good stereo.

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
I have an eisenmann race exhaust on my clk430 and it sounds like a muscle car! I LOVE the sound. It may be too loud for some peoples taste. It doesnt sound like a weedwhacker or lawnmower, its just straight power. I never heard it on a E55 though, it must sound AWESOME!

·
Registered
99 E55
297 Posts
I removed my resenator the second day I bought my car. It sounded much better and it only cost me $50 bucks. Later that month I replaced the AMG muffler with a two in two out Magnaflow and reused my AMG tips for a nice stock look. The sound is awesome I love it. It has a very nice low bass sound and when you hammer it down all "hell break loose". At cruising speeds and idle the car is not much louder than stock. It is one of favorite mods even though I gained zero HP.

I looked into hearders and found that the gain is really only about 8 wheel Hp. I got 15 whp from my Powerchip and another 7whp from my pullies and K&N's. The Kleeman hearders are long tube which is great but this causes problems because you will have to weld and you will loose your cats. You will have to use O2 simulators which and cause lean/rich problems, similar to a bad HFM. I know a couple of guys that have headers and their dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. Also in California I couldn't pass smog.

I would save your money and get gears, chip, pulleys and intake. If you save more penny's you can get a used S/C
My two cents
Mario

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the muffler recommendations. When you take out the resonator, do you just replace with a straight tube? Does the muffler shop has to fabricate these sections or you can buy the straight sections from the web?

Where do you get pullies? What size is the right one to use?

·
Registered
99 E55
297 Posts
E55guy - 5/20/2005 2:08 AM

Thanks for the muffler recommendations. When you take out the resonator, do you just replace with a straight tube? Does the muffler shop has to fabricate these sections or you can buy the straight sections from the web?

Where do you get pullies? What size is the right one to use?
The muffler shop will have to make them but it should only take about 45 mins to do the whole job. The pullies are from *. The are larger and lighter than stock. I replaced the alt, steering, and water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have BMW 528i(E39)with Supersprint header & muffler, it has low and rumble sound but not loud enough. So I got all resonators and cat replaced with 2 stainless steel pipes from the header straight to the muffler. Now it sounds quite loud even when the car idle.
The cylinder head is ported and polished, the stock filter is replaced with HKS free flow with a custom air box, larger throttle body, got an aftermarket fuel regulator, and unichip.
Now it has around 220hp, not much gain...but the acceleration is improved especially from mid to high rpm. At low rpm is about the same as stock or maybe lose a little.
And there's no way you can gain 30hp extra only by replacing the exhaust system alone.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
From my experience(300E, E320 W124, SL500, E320 W210, S500 '02, BMWs)...on Mercedes, the exhaust will sound a little louder by taking out the resonators but not much. On Bmw, the exhaust's sound is much louder and improved.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After reading this thread and getting some good advice from e55cent I had my exhaust modified Saturday.
Two weeks ago I ordered a Magnaflow dual in dual out 2.5" muffler from Hott Exhaust, $105 delivered.
Took my car in and had from the resonator back removed, (lost about 40lbs.)
Then I had the shop build me custom 2.5" duals all the way back and reused the stock tips. ($300 to the shop).
Sounds sweet, no drivability issues, and not too loud until you boot it, then there is no mistake that the German V-8 under the hood is awake!

·
Registered
99 E55
297 Posts
I'm glad you are happy with the exhaust. I'm guessing there is no real Hp gain but I'm sure it sounds SWEET. I love the way my car sounds when it starts up. I get many looks because people do not expect that super low bass sound comimg from a silver Benz. I also love it, when other people drive my car that's when I get to really hear the AMG V8.
Mario

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi E55pvan,

Can you post the part number for the magnaflow? There is no Mercedes specific part so I please let me know which one you actually used so I can order also. It sounds like fun. By the way, is there a way to post a sound file on this forum?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts