Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL 500 Glacier White, Java Interior
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first- this has been such a great board for answers to questions I've had without ever having to ask anyone. Seems like we're all trying to accomplish the same things here - making something beautiful an individual expression.

Now, I've done a lot of cleaning up a 1999 SL500 I purchased several months ago, including lots of little mods, a few big ones, but all mostly cosmetic. The latest, and one of the last cosmetic things I want to do is to bring my new set of Continental DW rear wheels out further. I purchased a set of 30mm Eibach spacers to add to the Mandrus Regenmeister wheels I've put on the car. I don't think I'm going to end up lowering the car but love the look of the fat rear tires. Couldn't find a 305 in a 17 that worked so I've gone to the spacers. Now...I know there are opinions on both sides about using spacers - but my Indy says it's ok and that it won't affect bearings - is he right? Opinions? And do I need to do camber adjustments after I put them on? I don't get this whole issue so any simple verbiage will help!

Also, any source for side vent fins or headlight eyelids?

I'm going to post pics shortly because there are things I've done that I've seen discussed but not photographed here. And thanks you all for your help!!!
Barry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should have said that I have 275 40 17's on the rears now and 245 45 17 on the fronts

Barry

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
I'd like to see pictures...... where are you? what country?

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
You wanted fat tires and lowered suspension. But you wont get shorter springs, and cant find fat 305's... So you want spacers?

Sounds all bad. I would say do not get the spacers. Spacers will be okay for just mellow daily driving though.
Also, do you have the special rolled fenders?

I would either lower suspension, or get tires in my personal opinion though.
Just make sure your tires have the right clearance.
There is another thread about tire sizes with ET's. I remember them also talking about spacers. I would check that thread out.

Use the advanced search.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
Also, any source for side vent fins or headlight eyelids?
Where from??? China, Russia, Bolivia??

barryrosen; said:
Really? 40 views already and no advice?
Maybe if you bothered to read the sticky about completing your profile, you may get a better response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redliner was right, I should have done my profile a long time ago. I apologize to all for not putting it in when I joined. I was part of SLKworld and this site for a long time and somewhere along the line just forgot. (Not that I have anything important to add here anyway!)

Now, Mountie - I'm in the US, in Southern California
Andrew- I'm not looking to "slam" the SL, in fact I'm probably never going to lower it. I just like the look of fat tires and the ride of 17's. The problem is that you can't find a 295 or 305-17 in a car tire. That's why I didn't do my reading first and just assumed the spacers would resolve the problem.

And yes, I have rolled fenders, and because I'm not looking to lower the vehicle I just figured that bringing the tire out beyond the well wouldn't be an issue. My concerns are for the mechanics of the addition. Particularly the bearings. The spacers are the Eibach Pros which bolt directly onto the vehicle wheel and then the Mandrus wheel bolts into the spacer with longer bolts than it required before the addition of the spacer. But with all that additional width (30mm per side) does it change camber, does it mess with bearings, etc.? This is my daily driver and she's in GREAT mechanical shape. I don't want to bring her down because I wanted this one look.

Hope I've done a better job of explaining here. Also, I WILL post pictures in the next couple of weeks because there were just a couple of things I wanted to do that I couldn't find pics of anywhere. Besides she's really beautiful and should be seen :) Thanks again all - Still looking for answers....

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
In a previous debate we were discussing wheel spacers and the effect on steering and suspension components......

Note the comments by Hal Adams.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1355394-wheel-spacers-beware.html

Thanks for the profile update, it may seem a trivial thing, but it really does make a difference when seeking technical help, especially for the 'Where can I get' questions.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
Barryrosen, I'm in Newport (BTW).......

I know of one of the best alignment guys in the business. His shop is in Burbank. Even though he is the #1 Corvette guy, he can set-up any suspension. Dick Guldstrand... In general, most all cars are set up for the average driver, to feel comfortable in a turn. Even Corvettes. A factory set up is to make a performance car feel secure at about a 35 mph speed in a turn ( for the average buyer). Dick sets up suspensions to feel as good as 35mph, but the speed is now 65 mph in the same turn, for the 'performance DRIVER'.

His shop can do any vehicle, not just GM stuff.

Search , Guldstrand Motorsports' read the selection called, " G Theory", for starters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts