Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wanted to make a comparison between engine displacement tax in different countries.
I live in Romania and I will give you our tax rates (year 2008)

Tax level

(USD/200 cc or 200 cc fraction)

Below 1600 cc - 2.59 USD/200 cc
Between 1601 cc and 2000 cc - 5.55 USD/200 cc
Between 2001 cc and 2600 cc - 11.11 USD/200 cc
Between 2601 cc and 3000 cc - 22.22 USD/200 cc
Over 3001 cc - 44.44 USD/200 cc

Let's take an E430 for example. It means 4300/200*44.44
So you have to pay a yearly tax of 955.46 USD. Just for owning the car.
Am I the only one thinking this is a rip off?

·
Registered
77 Posts
No such thing here in Florida. There is a, decreasing with age of vehicle, tag fee but it is nominal. Some roads have tolls as well so you might consider that a road use tax. We do pay a 6%, of purchase price, sales tax on transfer of ownership but that is a one time fee and any trade-in is discounted from the purchase price. Fuel is taxed as well and some of that money is used for infrastructure maintenance.

I guess the government will get its money one way or another.

·
Registered
35,806 Posts
Taxes in California are not based on the vehicle size, or horsepower, but on its value.
Base tax is 1% of car value plus some other junk fees. DMV adjust the car value every year, but it is good idea to check them.
Trucks also have "weight fee" what on my 1-ton flatbed is about $400

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
In the USA there is a gas guzzler tax on fuel inefficient cars that we pay one time at the time of purchase and I don't know how that is calculated; I assume that the federal government gets the money. In my state, there is only a personal property tax assessed on motor vehicles and the less they are worth, the less we pay per year. Also, to renew our license plates, we have to show proof that we paid the property tax for the previous year.

·
Registered
367 Posts
We here in the USA should enjoy it while it lasts. There will be some form of CO2 Tax very soon. Most likely to start with the industrial users of fossil fuels. It will apply to all of us in our electric bills. We will probably see additional CO2tax either on the cars themselves or on the fuel. Yes I won't like it and yes it will hurt but it will be for the best. I ponied up a big wad of cash for a geothermal heatpump two years ago because this is on the horizion, recession or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts