Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BenzWorld W124 Host
1993 300E 3.2L 24V
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there's no denying our cars are getting a little long in the tooth. Atleast I know mine is, she leaks a little oil, has her fair share of dings, dents and chips. But I still love her, and apparently I'm not the only one.

Funny but true story....

After stopping at the gas station after work to top off the tank and get a hard earned Slurpee I walk back out to my car. Just as I'm about to pull away this woman hops out of her monster of an SUV and runs over to me waving her arms frantically. I thought maybe I left my gas cap open, or left my slurpee on the roof. After a hard day work, I'm just as forgetful as the next oaf. She runs up and says that her baby just said her first word. She said her baby looked over at my car and said "pretty", she was so amazed she said she had to stop me to tell me.

I told her I was flattered and drove off smiling, it made my day. I guess even though it's getting a little old and starting to show her age, she still can shine like a superstar.

I got such a kick out of it I just had to share it with everyone.

-Tubs

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
aww lucky you.. i would have taken the mom out to .. congratulate her... ;) lol yea. great thing about mercs is their amazing power in never stopping to look good... unless you just don't take care of it. and congrats on the compliment.. mostly here i get the "spoiled brat" with a person driving a brand new chevy 2500.... i was like ok... not that im into trucks or anything.. but yea. i hope you got a cherry slurpee!!! have a good day

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Tubs...Thanks for sharing that great story. As a new purchaser of my first w124 tonite, a 91 300e, i look forward to potential future compliments as well. BTW, how did that mom look anyways?[:I]

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
That's great Tubs. However, I have to disagree with you on that our cars are getting long in the tooth and showing their age. I think they are simply timeless. Like fine wine, they look better with age, and they especially stand out with authority and stature among the millions of mediocre soap-bar affairs on our streets today. They were real cars that were actually built to look - and be - cars.
A few weeks ago, I entered my car into a race, and it was - by far - the oldest one in the group and, curiously, among all the late-model racing Subarus and Renault Clio's, my car was the one that got the most interested looks from the spectators and other racers, and I got the loudest cheers from the crowd as I speedily navigated my way through the cones on the track. The technician who inspected my car prior to the race said, "This is the kind of car we love to see."
Keep the faith.

Shady

·
Registered
1994 E420
188 Posts
hey i know how you feel, I get comments on my car everyday because I tinted the windows and chrome tipped the exhaust. My tints are so dark that some people ask me who's in the car. A comment really makes my day, especially if it's from a stranger.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
i would like to tint my car but tint doesn't look good on a tan car :( unless you have some suggestiosn that would look nice.. and the white comment i was just messing around. i didn't mean to offend anybody. ill try to delete the post if i got you mad. sorry mate. i don't want to insult anybody here at all. i feel like your all great friends to me

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Why not tint the Smoke silver (tan) car? A real dark tint will certainly look a little odd IMO on a lighter finish like Tan (smoke silver). I just bought a smoke silver 300e and will be tinting next week. I usually tint all my cars at virtually the lightest possible (50% grade). If youre in question, put a shade of each depth on two different windows and select. But to get back on topic...Yes Everybody, Kids do say the darndest things[:0][:0][:0]

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/790052

there is my car... what is the average cost of tint all around??? and 50% is pretty dark.. well in the front. here in california the max allowed for the front is 30%... what i was thinking.. is there a way to go from like 10% in the very front of the car and slowly fade into like 60% to the back of the car... would that look good? i am gonna copy right this idea so don't steal it! .... lol

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
50% is the lightest you can get. The lower the number,the darker and less light transmission that will be let in. Ive said it before on this forum...The brand ive been using for the past ten plus years is Formula one tint films. lifetime warranty and the stuff will not discolor. Regarding tint shades, i usually tint the rear window at like a 38% and the rest of the car at 50%. Here in the blue state[:(]of Mn, 50% is the darkest allowed the front windows can be. The average cost here is around $239 for your average sedan, $279 and up for suv's. So lets sum it up...higher the number=lighter the tint.
lower the number=darker the tint. Just get out there and tint that sucker, youll love it[:D]

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
sounds fun, have you dragged your car? i would love to know your time starting in first gear
It's a blast [:)]
It wasn't a drag race, but a time trial over a circuit, with curves and chicanes outlined with cones and tires. My best time was 1:20.634 (that's just over one minute and 20 secs.) To put that in perspective, a guy in a Porsche 911 Turbo only managed 1:16, and the fastest guy (in a rear-engined Renault Clio Sport) did 1:07. Sounds pretty slow for my car, but I got no two-second penalties [:)] which means that even with the size of my car (probably the biggest one in the race and not really suitable for that kind of thing) I managed not touch any cones or tires, and this really goes to show just how maneuverable a 124 could be in the hands of a good driver. Everyone was betting on how many penalties I'll be getting trying to negotiate the track with "a big car like that," and I proved them all wrong [:D]

Shady

·
Registered
452 Posts
About the tint, I have to agree- lighter cars look kinda gross with dark tint. I have a smoke silver car, and I think it would look a little ghetto. Dark 124's look great w/tint though.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Bigpete, Do you have your 124 tinted yet? Thats a very handsome car lightly tinted showing off that nice leather interior and wood grain dash. Not to mention, blocking out all harmful uv rays for both you and the cars interior.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts