Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001, w203, C220 105kw
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, forum,

for quite some time now i was wondering what was that little switch beneath the gas pedal in my MB w203 c220 CDI (105kw 2001).
When you floor the gas pedal you obviously can feel something like a click.

So i connected the car to diagnostics tool and found out that this is "Kickdown" switch. The label in the tool obviously indicated this when i fully pressed and depressed the gas pedal (Active YES/NO).

Mystery solved, but the new question now is: For what purpose it can be used in a car with a manual gear selector?
I made a few tests (simple pedal to the floor) but i don't see anything special, car runs like crazy as usual.

If anyone knows more comment down below.

:)

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,038 Posts
It's vestigial. A very long time ago, MBZ used that button to inject a little extra oil into the engine combustion chambers when you were driving it hard. Later, it became a way to force a downshift for the automatic transmission. Now, it's just a button that let's you know the "pedal is to the metal".

·
Registered
2001, w203, C220 105kw
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's vestigial. A very long time ago, MBZ used that button to inject a little extra oil into the engine combustion chambers when you were driving it hard. Later, it became a way to force a downshift for the automatic transmission. Now, it's just a button that let's you know the "pedal is to the metal".
Thanks for the info.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts