Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 W124 E300-24v 2.8 Sportline
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a '92 W124 280e Sportline here with a kickdown issue.

Recently the kickdown on the 722.4 tranny stopped working entirely, about a month after changing the transmission fluid.
I can put my foot down but the car only downshifts by 1 gear.
In D, it starts off on 2nd gear like normal and shifts to 4, I slow down it'll shift like it's supposed to but if I'm already in 4th gear and floor it it doesn't shift to 2nd gear and just goes to 3. I have to throw it into 2 manually.

So I assume the bowden to be fine, I didn't touch the adjustment anyway.
I checked the AC/Kickdown relay and cleaned the connectors, opened it up and found no damage.
If I put the ignition on and press on the kickdown switch I can actually hear the kickdown solenoid in the tranny click.

Honestly I'm kind of lost here, it stopped working pretty much suddenly, it worked fine until it didn't. I searched through Google but can't really find anything useful around this
Wouldn't have been such a big of a deal as manually forcing it does the trick too but this car isn't my beater and I'd like it all to work like it's supposed to.

Thus my question is, are there any other factors that could cause this? Could the solenoid be sticking even though it clicks on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the switch has gone bad or disconnected.
That's what I thought but the solenoid on the tranny is responding correctly to me pressing the switch
Or that's what it sounds like anyway

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,132 Posts
hese do take some kicking down .I thought i had problems with my box .But i was told to push it down hard .It was me not the car .Make sure carpets are clear under the kickdown pedal ..and that the pedal box is not loose in the footwell ..Abd it might sound funny but have you changed the auto box fluid before, and is it filled to the correct level and that you checked it going by your hand book.? on engine and box up to tem after a good 5 miles run .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hese do take some kicking down .I thought i had problems with my box .But i was told to push it down hard .It was me not the car .Make sure carpets are clear under the kickdown pedal ..and that the pedal box is not loose in the footwell ..Abd it might sound funny but have you changed the auto box fluid before, and is it filled to the correct level and that you checked it going by your hand book.? on engine and box up to tem after a good 5 miles run .
No, it'd be my first time changing any sort of transmission fluid. It did work for a bit over a month, I think during that time I put around 1000km on it more than half of it highway driving and it was working fine...
Until I started and warmed the car up, pushed the switch and nothing happened.
I think I did put the right amount in

Kickdown doesn't work no matter if I slowly press it or kick on it, always only shifts down by one gear

Initially thought carpet could've been an issue but it's been out of the way really, not making contact with the pedal hinge or anything

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might want to check the relay/fuse that it’s associated with. I hear that click when I use stuff that goes through relays that aren’t any good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts