Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Medium Blue 300D Turbo
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the driver side kick panel off to replace the multi-switch on my 84 300D-T. Wow. First, the padding on the back side of the panel was almost saturated with oil. Second, there are no fasteners holding it up, besides the three screws at the top of the panel under the instrument panel. I have a few questions:

has anyone ever replaced the padding? What did you use, and how did you get it to stick? The PO must have fixed an oil leak from the pressure gauge, because it checked out fine, but the damage was done.

What are, and where can I find the two fasteners that hold either side up, under the dash board? right over the parking brake release handle, two plastic holes line up, but there is nothing there to fasten with. Same thing with the right side, just under the ignition. There are two holes lining up, but nothing.

Speaking of fasteners, I have not been able to find the square fasteners that keep the chrome cowl covers by the windshield. I can find almost every other fastener that I recognize, except for those. I only have one per side, and I am afraid that a gust of wind is going to blow my cool chrome cowl covers off on the freeway. Anyone have a good lead?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
MB used different fasteners for the kick panel, mostly I've seen screws, but some plastic fasteners exist too. They usually break when you try to remove them. The dealer has them, otherwise just use screws.

Square fastener for the window chrome: A1236711330 (at the bottom corner) A1236710136 (at the top where the two chrome parts meet) at your friendly neighbourhood Mercedes-Benz dealer.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
Id either find the same color kick panel unsaturated at a yard, or rip off that oil mess, clean up the back side, make a template from the shape of the original padding, then cut out some dynamat or felt in the same size, and super 77 it into place on the back of the panel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts