Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause one of the keys to not work? The car was in the shop for three weeks and I gave them one key. Had the car back for about a week and it went back to the dealer for another week. I gave them the other key because I didn't want them to beat up my keyring. Both keys worked fine until today, when I got the car back. I used the key I didn't send with the car and when I went to open the trunk, it didn't respond. Tried the doors and nothing happened. Put the key in the ignition and it won't even turn. The car has had major phone/cd/radio problems and they replaced the radio (for the third time). Would that have anything to do with it. It hasn't caused this problem in the past. I'm going to call the service dept. in the morning, but thought maybe someone would know why it would suddenly not work, when it worked fine last week. Thanks. (oops, posted in the wrong forum - should have been in W208)

·
Premium Member
CLK / ML
4,077 Posts
What would cause one of the keys to not work? The car was in the shop for three weeks and I gave them one key. Had the car back for about a week and it went back to the dealer for another week. I gave them the other key because I didn't want them to beat up my keyring. Both keys worked fine until today, when I got the car back. I used the key I didn't send with the car and when I went to open the trunk, it didn't respond. Tried the doors and nothing happened. Put the key in the ignition and it won't even turn. The car has had major phone/cd/radio problems and they replaced the radio (for the third time). Would that have anything to do with it. It hasn't caused this problem in the past. I'm going to call the service dept. in the morning, but thought maybe someone would know why it would suddenly not work, when it worked fine last week. Thanks. (oops, posted in the wrong forum - should have been in W208)
They might have replaced your module and gave you reprogrammed keys.

Go ask and also check if this has been recorded under the VIN as you might have problems getting replacement keys with the right programming next time you order some.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The service technician said they replaced one of the control units and the second key needs to be recoded. All I have to do (hopefully) is put the key in the ignitian and let it sit for 45 min. to an hour and then, when I am able to turn the key to the on position, leave it for another 15 minutes. I think this car hates me! [:(]

·
Registered
1 Posts
pesky keys

I have a good key story--I ran the key through the washing machine (I know, I'm an idiot) and was plesantly surprised when the car ran fine. I drove 30 miles and when I stopped the car, the remote didn't work. So I stuck the key in the ignition and it was dead.

I took the key apart and dried it out, realizing that it was not only NOT waterproof but it has two batteries inside which are user-servicable. So if you find your key quitting, that would be worth looking at. Anybody know how long they last?

·
Registered
CLK430
665 Posts
Mine lasted about 10 months since I bought the car new. You'll start to notice its range ...

Mine lasted about 10 months since I bought the car new. You'll start to notice its range diminishing and response degrading.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Key Range

What is the range? It doesn't seem to be very far - you almost have to be right at the car for the keys to work. Both of them are like that and the car is not quite one year old (prod. date Nov/01). Maybe the keys sit around in a box somewhere and they just pull out a couple and program them for the next car in line. In that case, who knows how old the batteries are. Or it could be that the diminished range (as compared to other vehicle makes) is some kind of MB safety feature. It's kind of scary when your key won't unlock anything or even turn in the ignition!

·
Registered
CLK430
665 Posts
My keys work from about 20-25 feet away from the car on a level surface.

The higher you...

My keys work from about 20-25 feet away from the car on a level surface.

The higher you are relative to the car, the better the range. It's an RF remote so I don't know why your remote's range is poor.

·
Registered
CLK 430 AMG
6 Posts
Hi Tricia1024 - did this work and did the key eventually start the car - the reason i ask is that my key is now doing the same thing!!! Will it work if I carry out this procedure???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts