Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes S550 2008 Mercedes x164, 2007 Mercedes w164, 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here it goes. i bought my 2000 ml in 2003 and it came with 1 key and a valet key. Well needless to say i lost the valet key. So now i have just one remote key. When i went to the dealership mercedes told me that all 8 keys to my ml were out meaning that they had been ordered and were somewhere in the country. So now my question is has anyone ever heard of this and if so any solutions or how much was AAM cost. My dealership order a key but it will start the car but dies. Now i need some good info people and can the AAM be reprogrammed to clear it and add new keys to it

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2005 C320 4matic
98 Posts
try to trace your keys with the old owner (s) if you can't try going to another dealer, benzel bush is good. Now if they tell you the same thing i would sell the vehicle and get another one, is going to be cheaper than replacing all the aam.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,025 Posts
You might not have to replace the AAM. Beginning in MY2000, the DAS logic was removed from the AAM and placed in its own unit, just so that in this case, the entire AAM would not need to be replaced. I believe MBZ sells a new DAS control unit along with a new key set that consists of the valet key (which is actually a special master key for programming a virgin DAS) and two fob/switchblade keys. Check with your dealer on this. I know it won’t be cheap, but it might be better than replacing the AAM.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
416 Posts
valet key?

I was told that the ML's don't come with a valet key. That is why there is no long on the glove box. You are given two keyfobs with switchblade keys, but no valet key.

How does your valet key look like?

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes S550 2008 Mercedes x164, 2007 Mercedes w164, 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: valet key?

It has the Mickey Mouse ears. The dealership i use said they maybe able to decode the key that they ordered me . Mercedes sent the dealership some info to figure it out and it can be done decoding supposely won't know until after june 8, which is this wed. I will post info when i find out.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
RE: valet key?

maneesh - 6/6/2005 10:51 PM

I was told that the ML's don't come with a valet key. That is why there is no long on the glove box. You are given two keyfobs with switchblade keys, but no valet key.

How does your valet key look like?
The glove box on the ML never had a lock, even with the valet key.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
ML's definitely come with valet keys (at least in 98). Unless you have the passenger seat lock box, they are ALMOST useless. They look like a regular car key and don't operate the security system. They allow the user to lock and unlock the car but don't engage the alarm which may be better for valets I suppose...

Oh yes and they fit on your keychain as a good backup.

Regarding the multiple keys. I've read that the dealer can disable all the lost keys in the AAM then ask the factory to recode a new key with an exisiting (in your computer) code. You get another key and no need to put in a new computer. for more, try using the search feature.....

Personally, it is beyond me how people can use up 8 keys (and apparently the MB product designers also) but apparently it happens. good luck on the key situation

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to tell you the truth i am the 2nd owner of th ml320 truck and only bought in 2003 and go a valet key and remote one. when i went to he dealership to buy another they told me that all the other replacements were out. The first person must have ordered them . Who knows to be honest . i am sure after wednesday i will be able to tell if the dealership did the job or not. If so i am going to buy another key so that i have 3 remote keys . Since i lost the valet key . That is why i ordered a new key.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,025 Posts
As for the valet key, it was required for MY1998-MY2001 and discontinued beginning with MY2002. The reason for this is the version of DAS (Drive Authorization System) used. From 1998-2001, DAS-2 was used and the valet key was actually a master key used to initialize a virgin EEPROM. DAS-3 comes pre-programmed with all possible key codes and thus did not need a master key for initial programming (and in fact could not use the valet key as it does not support rolling code like the fob keys). Do a forum search for my other posts regarding DAS for some more details.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.. here is the update on the key story. I called my dealership up today it seems the truck it done. They recoded the car with the new key and i ordered one more remote and key so that now i have a total 3 keys. The guy i deal with is only charging me a an one hr labor for this. So it cost me 100 for the key/remote and 100 for the labor so i am still up a couple k's. I pick the truck up tomorrow and I will fill in everyone when i actually get the truck.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2005 C320 4matic
98 Posts
when i got my key from benzel and busch they charged me 125 for the key and they told me to bring the receipt down stairs to service and they did ask me if I got the truck with them and I told them i got it in prestige but i was willing to change to benzel if they treat me good and they end up doing the key program for free.

where did you go?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem was that this would be the 9th key. So instead of just programming the key like as if it was a new one . They had to actually go in to the system and lock out all the keys expect for the one i had and then add the new one. So they programmed the car to accept the two keys like they were key #1 and #2 in the Das system. So it not that easy i am really good friends with the guy and he told me usually after the 8th key missing they had believe change the ingition. I am happy that it's fixed . Plus i only paid 91 for my key so i got alittle cheaper from prestige so it's all good. So now my system reads that the car has only 2 keys that are programmed to the car. Also pray for me i am driving down to FL with my wife and 1yr old son. I am just hoping i don't lose my KEYS..LOL

·
19,025 Posts
With DAS-2 (as your ML has) keys could be deleted and added, but a maximum of 8 keys could be programmed concurrently. If all 8 were programmed, the EEPROM had to be erased and reprogrammed from scratch. With DAS-3 (MY2002 and later, plus all SmartKey systems), the system comes pre-programmed for all possible key codes (8 concurrent out of a total of 24). None can be erased, only superseded.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem was that this would be the 9th key. So instead of just programming the key like as if it was a new one . They had to actually go in to the system and lock out all the keys expect for the one i had and then add the new one. So they programmed the car to accept the two keys like they were key #1 and #2 in the Das system. So it not that easy i am really good friends with the guy and he told me usually after the 8th key missing they had believe change the ingition. I am happy that it's fixed . Plus i only paid 91 for my key so i got alittle cheaper from prestige so it's all good. So now my system reads that the car has only 2 keys that are programmed to the car. Also pray for me i am driving down to FL with my wife and 1yr old son. I am just hoping i don't lose my KEYS..LOL

Who did u get the key made from ? MB UK have told me they have stopped making das-2 key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,822 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you all for your help and a big sorry for replying late iv managed to find a guy in Birmingham who can make the Das - ll flip blade key I’m aware you all know Mercedes will make a key but not the fob
Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry this is not related to keys has any body got a c36 engine for sale? Or know which engine is ideal for more power for the c36 as I’m assuming my engine is gone made tractor noise following suction noise bang

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,723 Posts
Thank you all for your help and a big sorry for replying late iv managed to find a guy in Birmingham who can make the Das - ll flip blade key I’m aware you all know Mercedes will make a key but not the fob
Thank you

he physical flip blades can be made by any reputable locksmith. ;)

Sorry this is not related to keys has any body got a c36 engine for sale? Or know which engine is ideal for more power for the c36 as I’m assuming my engine is gone made tractor noise following suction noise bang

Wrong forum to be asking. Post here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts