Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all the posts recently but I'm trying to give myself a crash course on MB and car restoration.

Q: Is there any way to get the ignition, door and trunk locks all keyed the same??

I know my ignition tumbler has been changed and the key wont work in the doors. The trunk tumbler is missing completely so when I find a new one, I wanted to get all tumblers to work with the same key.

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
Keys must be the same.
Mechanisms not (if you plan to change them), but both doors are identical.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
I think that he is referring to having the ignition lock tumbler re-keyed to match the door keys after it had to be replaced. I have been telling myself to have mine re-keyed for $135 but I have an amazing alarm with keyless entry so I never use the door key anyway.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W126 500SEL &380SEL W116 280SE
75 Posts
You can get new locks identical to the original from MB quoting your VIN, if you start with your ignition you will have a nice new one you can rely on for a while, You'll never know but it may turn out that your door and bootlid lock are still the original and you can find out when your new ign-lock arrives. (You'll be surprised about the price, they are only A$160 here). Most POs change the Ign-lock when it starts playing up and replace it with a generic one without realising MB offers this service,
Have fun Hank J.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts