Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 s500 W220
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 W220 S500.
So I'm finishing up fixing the damage from the dreaded water in the passenger floor board. Drilled extra holes in that stupid air intake bucket. took out carpet. Had to replace rear SAM. Cleaned up ground points. Even had to get my instrument cluster rebuilt (coincident? I don't think so) So everything is back to normal EXCEPT the Keyless Go. KG does nothing. completely dead. no dash messages, no start button, no door unlocking, no trunk locking button... nothing. So I'm thinking the module got fried maybe. but before i buy another module off ebay (several out there with the same part numbers) I thought I'd check to see if it's even got power.

fuse 58 is good per ohm meter. also checked with test light and i have power there. Next I check the grey/black wire at the KG module to battery ground. nothing. double check the wiring diagram... yep... that's suppose to be the 12v + continuous power to KG module. WTF??? Power at fuse but not 2 feet away at KG module??? very strange.

Any ideas to help me out before i start pulling wires and buying a new KG module? I need my start button to work. I hate pulling a key out of my pocket. (slight belly overhang and all)

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS - I read a ton of good posts about car washes and water getting into the passenger floorboard and all the damage it causes. Great information.. Except i read it AFTER i got hosed. LOL But seriously, I do appreciate all the good advice on this forum. Helps me keep the old W220 on the road.

·
Registered
2004 s500 W220
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No Help?

Really would like to know how Rear SAM and Keyless Go module work together. My keyless Go module appears dead but not sure. No continous 12v+ power to KG module. Comes from Rear Sam/fuse block fuse #58. Have 12v+ at fuse 58 but nothing back at KG module. ?? how can that be??

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,851 Posts
Hi,

Not everyone is on here 24/7 to dish out free answers to obscure problems same day, a lot of us are busy with Work and other projects ;)

So if I read that correctly you have fitted a new / good used Rear SAM ........................

Did you use your SDS Machine to check the "Version Coding" in Rear SAM ..............

It is likely that if there is power at the Fuse, not at KG then the Rear SAM has a Version Coding for KG Present / Not Present and it is incorrectly set to "Not Present" .................

Disclaimer :- I cannot be absolutely certain because I've never had this particular fault, but part of any Module replacement job on all MB's should always be to use SDS to at very least CHECK that Version Codings are all correctly set for the Model you are working on ...................

HTH,

·
Registered
2004 s500 W220
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply Dave. That's kinda what i thought might be the problem. I do not have an SDS machine but will get the local indy shop to check the rear SAM coding. They said if it's a coding thing they'll fix it for minimum charge. If that's not it there is no charge to check.

I bought a used SAM off ebay. much cheaper than dealer. I did specifically look for one with the same fuse box configuration so it would be more of a plug n play replacement... but the ebay seller sent me a different SAM/fuseblock than shown. The SAM part#/HW/SW version was identical but not the same fuse layout as mine. Anyway, I put the good SAM into my fuseblock and reinstalled. that's where I'm at now.

still kinda baffling to me why fuse 58 is hot but no 12v+ at KG unit on wire coming from fuse 58. ?? my iCarsoft MBII scanner does not see any KG unit but that's all i have to check it. I'll see what the indy has to say.

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,851 Posts
If there is no Coding or it is correct, ask him to look at KG Module, see if it's communicating etc etc, I doubt iCarsoft will be very good on that system (KG) ;)

·
Registered
2005 S600
479 Posts
iCarsoft is like a Swiss Army knife - good for simple tasks, or simple problems.

Your problem is complex.

You need a dedicated tool, not a jack-of-all-trades, you need SDS.

·
Registered
2005 S600
479 Posts
Simple timeline, see if I got this right:

Water intrusion
Corrosion in wiring
Fried SAM
Cleaned wiring
Replaced SAM
KG doesn't work.

The only thing that changed between the car running OK and the KG not working was the SAM, right? And that replacement SAM had different fuze locations?

So, clearly, that SAM came from a differently configured car. You need to get that SAM examined (SDS) and programmed properly (SDS) so that it will work in your car.

Very few modules in this car are simple swaps. They need to be coded. They need to be told what you car has (soft close, heated seats, power trunk, keyless go, whatever) so that they will energize that circuit. Can't just slap the box in and expect it to work. Not on this car, and not on many modern cars. My three 2001-2002 Volvos are the same way.

If you bought a new SAM from Mercedes (I did) they would tell you the same thing: it needs to be programmed to work (that's what they told me).

They'll also tell you that only SDS will work.

I programmed my new rear SAM with my SDS setup and it works great.

If the programming (SDS) is required for a new module, and everyone is telling you that it's needed for a used module, and you haven't tried that yet, then start there.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,561 Posts
If the fuse layout for your replacement san differs and coding does not fix if , you know what you need to do - find another sam that does match fuses and code it correctly

·
Registered
2004 s500 W220
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
iCarsoft is like a Swiss Army knife - good for simple tasks, or simple problems.

Your problem is complex.

You need a dedicated tool, not a jack-of-all-trades, you need SDS.
I agree. but since i have just the one MB I felt I couldn't justify buying SDS. I've spent a lot of time going over the wiring diagrams trying to get ahold of this problem but it is very very complex... to my pupkin head anyway. I'm taking it to a indy shop that does MB work.

·
Registered
W220 S350/S500 2004
385 Posts
I agree. but since i have just the one MB I felt I couldn't justify buying SDS.
Wrong logic.
Chineese SDS is around 200 EUR (or even cheaper).
You have already spent more money and time wasted on replacing irrelevant parts. SDS is must have, unless you plan to sell your MB tomorrow.

·
Registered
2004 s500 W220
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simple timeline, see if I got this right:

Water intrusion
Corrosion in wiring
Fried SAM
Cleaned wiring
Replaced SAM
KG doesn't work.

The only thing that changed between the car running OK and the KG not working was the SAM, right? And that replacement SAM had different fuze locations?

So, clearly, that SAM came from a differently configured car. You need to get that SAM examined (SDS) and programmed properly (SDS) so that it will work in your car.

Very few modules in this car are simple swaps. They need to be coded. They need to be told what you car has (soft close, heated seats, power trunk, keyless go, whatever) so that they will energize that circuit. Can't just slap the box in and expect it to work. Not on this car, and not on many modern cars. My three 2001-2002 Volvos are the same way.

If you bought a new SAM from Mercedes (I did) they would tell you the same thing: it needs to be programmed to work (that's what they told me).

They'll also tell you that only SDS will work.

I programmed my new rear SAM with my SDS setup and it works great.

If the programming (SDS) is required for a new module, and everyone is telling you that it's needed for a used module, and you haven't tried that yet, then start there.
Thank you for the reply and help.

You know... I looked and found a rear SAM / fuse block that had exactly the same layout as mine. only found one and paid about $60 more the others to get that same layout. I bought it off ebay from a guy with 100% rating on a few thousand sales. BUT he sent a different SAM!!! I contacted him and he said he was sorry. He assured me it would work as plug n play. He recommended trying it and if I wanted he'd refund my money... so i used my fuse block and installed the SAM module. BTW, I also had to get my instrument cluster rebuilt (no lights) that had also died at the same time. well after cleaning up everything and putting back all the parts and carpet etc. everything works except the keyless go. I spent a lot of time going over the wiring diagrams but as y'all have said it is very complex. Anyway I couldn't find the problem so I talked to my MB shop and he said he would check the SAM / KG coding and redo for $125. If it is not the coding or he can't identify the problem there is no charge for trying. So I'm going to let them do that.
I'll post the results when I see what the shop finds.

and on that ebay seller... I've contacted him and let him know the situation. If I have to pay the $125 for coding in KG and everything else checks out on the SAM then I told him I wanted him to pay for coding. We'll see.

·
Registered
2004 s500 W220
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wrong logic.
Chineese SDS is around 200 EUR (or even cheaper).
You have already spent more money and time wasted on replacing irrelevant parts. SDS is must have, unless you plan to sell your MB tomorrow.
Really? Can you guide me to where I can get a reliable SDS setup?

·
Registered
W220 S350/S500 2004
385 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts