Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new Merc has Keyless Go. I had something similar in my previous car (BMW) and liked it but I never experienced this. When I wash my CLS and have the key in my pocket, every time the water spray hits the door handle the car locks and unlocks. I can understand it activating when I push the handle but water spray? I now leave my key on the workbench whenever I wash the car.

Is this normal for these cars? :confused:

·
Registered
557 Posts
So my new Merc has Keyless Go. I had something similar in my previous car (BMW) and liked it but I never experienced this. When I wash my CLS and have the key in my pocket, every time the water spray hits the door handle the car locks and unlocks. I can understand it activating when I push the handle but water spray? I now leave my key on the workbench whenever I wash the car.

fwiw, keykess go or not, best method is to soak first with clean water from a hose with very little pressure (soft wide fan nozzle is good.) Then use soap and a good mitt with a double bucket system. To rinse, just soak again with hose and no pressure. Then dry with hand towels (clean micro cloth.) Then claybar with spray detailer and finally Porter Cable with proper pad and whatever sealant/wax etc., you prefer.

I have KG and never have had an issue. I'm guessing your water pressure is probably just too high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, no.

fwiw, keykess go or not, best method is to soak first with clean water from a hose with very little pressure (soft wide fan nozzle is good.) Then use soap and a good mitt with a double bucket system. To rinse, just soak again with hose and no pressure. Then dry with hand towels (clean micro cloth.) Then claybar with spray detailer and finally Porter Cable with proper pad and whatever sealant/wax etc., you prefer.

I have KG and never have had an issue. I'm guessing your water pressure is probably just too high.
Thanks for the suggestions but I've been washing high-end cars for years, use excellent equipment and products, and am aware of the proper techniques and wasn't really asking how to do it. When I direct the hose, spray or gentle stream, at the door handles it locks or unlocks the car. It doesn't matter how hard the spray is. Actually the pressure in the hose I use is pretty low. The sensors in my door handles seem really sensitive. I just wondered if anyone else noticed this phenomenon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, my CL manual on washing the car notes that "if a door handle is hit by a strong jet of water,and a smart key with keyless go is in close proximitry,i.e. within approx. 3 ft. the vechile could be inadvertently locked or unlocked."

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions but I've been washing high-end cars for years, use excellent equipment and products, and am aware of the proper techniques and wasn't really asking how to do it. When I direct the hose, spray or gentle stream, at the door handles it locks or unlocks the car. It doesn't matter how hard the spray is. Actually the pressure in the hose I use is pretty low. The sensors in my door handles seem really sensitive. I just wondered if anyone else noticed this phenomenon.
Well, you didn't say that so how is anyone supposed to know and respond correctly? :confused:

I wasn't suggesting you're not capable (despite having to guess as to your 'car washing abilities'), but was assuming that your pressure is too high. I haven't had an issue with KG with my own car. Although in the end it doesn't really matter if the doors get locked or not while you're wetting/rinsing the car (which is such a short period); the key is in your pocket, you can open the door anytime. The alarm won't go off as its not that sensitive. Although you seem sensitive. I mean your car handles seem too sensitive. j/k :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Glad to hear its a known issue. No big deal but it makes me laugh when it happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I own a 2011 E350 sport with keyless start. When I wash the car and touch it with my hand or hit it with water, it chirps constantly. This is very annoying but I solved it by removing the stop/start button and inserting key. Now I can wash in peace!

·
Registered
320 Posts
washing with keylessgo

I own a 2011 E350 sport with keyless start. When I wash the car and touch it with my hand or hit it with water, it chirps constantly. This is very annoying but I solved it by removing the stop/start button and inserting key. Now I can wash in peace!
Here is your answer! TAKE THE KEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND PLACE IT SOMEWHERE IT CANNOT "SEE YOUR CAR". Most likely the water spray has little to do with this---it's all about the sensor on your keylessgo triggering the sensor in the door.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is your answer! TAKE THE KEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET AND PLACE IT SOMEWHERE IT CANNOT "SEE YOUR CAR". Most likely the water spray has little to do with this---it's all about the sensor on your keylessgo triggering the sensor in the door.
I was waiting for this response! I have put both keys upstairs at the far end of the house. My God how far do these things communicate?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts