Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E550 Convertible, 2009 Mercedes SL63 AMG, 2010 BMW 760, 2011 Range Rover Autobiography
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering, was Keyless Entry ever standard or an option on W126s. I ask because I recall a few Cadillacs had that in the 80s', so a Mercedes surely could have had the option.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
I saw a SEL with original IR transmitter, but it was swapped from another car - looked like it came from C.
I guess you could rip the system from a donor car and transplant, but unless you aim for "originality" (whatever that is when doing this ;-)) it's not worth it... You can just get a generic remote control for a few bucks and it will work fine.

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E550 Convertible, 2009 Mercedes SL63 AMG, 2010 BMW 760, 2011 Range Rover Autobiography
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I don't mean a smart key, I just mean a remote. Surprising that Mercedes hadn't caught on to the trend back then.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,137 Posts
Yeah they dont seem to have done it from factory. But a lot of cars were fitted with security systems from new that had the feature.
Really annoyed me that mine didn't have it, easy enough to fit though.

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
I have a 552 option, 'Anti-theft warning system, switzerland'. Haven't found a trace of it so far and don't know what it is supposed to be either. I would have imagined something with a remote to switch it on and of, but really I have no clue.

It WAS fitted with an alarm and remote door unlock, but it was clearly aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
The anti-theft warning is just the alarm that will probably go one day and then have you scrambling to find the right fuse for it. Keyless entry was not a factory option for the 126, though as Ianrandom said, some had aftermarket systems fitted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay thanks, then I'm guessing the first Mercedes with a remote was the R129 or W140

·
Registered
1981 300SD
133 Posts
Hello Mzcool,

As you heard from the other members, the W126 did not come with keyless entry (at least the Gen 1, don't know about Gen 2).

However, it is relatively easy to adapt an aftermarket keyless entry. The hardest part is routing the wires through the drivers door. The drivers door has a switch controlled by the lock that switches the pump in the trunk to pull the solenoids (lock), or push the solenoids (unlock). All you need to do is add the master electric solenoid from the kit to the linkage in the drivers door, run the wires through the door and the rubber hose in the hinge area. try to place the receiver under the dash close to the windshield. Pulling the dash gauges helps with this.

Once installed, pressing the button on the remote will fire the solenoid, moving the linkage to the drivers door switch - presto, doors will lock or unlock.

I did this with my car. Took me an afternoon to complete the job. As mentioned, the most difficult part is routing the wires through the drivers door into the area behind the dash gauges as well as locating the receiver. Be careful with removing the door panel, it is easy to break the plastic locating clips around the lower half of the panel.

Good luck it is well worth the effort and not nearly as difficult as one may think.

Thank you and take care,
PK

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Mzcool,

As you heard from the other members, the W126 did not come with keyless entry (at least the Gen 1, don't know about Gen 2).

However, it is relatively easy to adapt an aftermarket keyless entry. The hardest part is routing the wires through the drivers door. The drivers door has a switch controlled by the lock that switches the pump in the trunk to pull the solenoids (lock), or push the solenoids (unlock). All you need to do is add the master electric solenoid from the kit to the linkage in the drivers door, run the wires through the door and the rubber hose in the hinge area. try to place the receiver under the dash close to the windshield. Pulling the dash gauges helps with this.

Once installed, pressing the button on the remote will fire the solenoid, moving the linkage to the drivers door switch - presto, doors will lock or unlock.

I did this with my car. Took me an afternoon to complete the job. As mentioned, the most difficult part is routing the wires through the drivers door into the area behind the dash gauges as well as locating the receiver. Be careful with removing the door panel, it is easy to break the plastic locating clips around the lower half of the panel.

Good luck it is well worth the effort and not nearly as difficult as one may think.

Thank you and take care,
PK
Oh thanks, well when I obtain the car, I think I'll just get a shop to do it for me. I wonder if they could do a smart-key thing like I have on all my other cars.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,137 Posts
You can get one that you only have to splice into the wires in the boot that lead to the central locking pump. Thats it, easy peasy. Although it still managed to confuse me for a while :)

Have to ensure you get one that works with pneumatic locking. Plenty do but need to make sure.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I installed one in my car and I did a whole DIY on this last year with pics. It's in my "Trek up North" thread. I also did dual power mirrors too. And a switch for the door locks. And autolock at 7MPH. All features the new Benz's have on them.

Notice that's my actual key on the remote. I took my real keys and ground the receiver pattern on the back to match it to the blank supplied. You can't key the blanks, they have to (or should) come from MBZ.

I tapped into the Alarm harness up front so it locks and unlocks the doors, and arms and dis-arms the factory alarm too.

Edit: Here is the DIY I did on this: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1638499-w126-keyless-entry-installation-made-easy.html

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts